Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OL Plan?
Hard to believe Sewell goes that low, but considering we tried to trade up for Wirf last year, I could see it.

It would suck to lose our '22 2nd but getting a LT that could play day 1 and be paired with O'Neill going forward sure would be nice. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Hard to believe Sewell goes that low, but considering we tried to trade up for Wirf last year, I could see it.
Three things on Sewell:

1. There are real immaturity issues there. So how do the team in the top 5-6 picks view that vs. the alternatives including Slater who has a highly regarded character 
2. Recency bias - Whether teams admit it or not, players who opted out are going to get pushed down the board or at least will lose out on tie-breakers vs. player who have more recent film 
3. The most popular landing spot for Sewell was to Cincy who just signed Reiff. They can bump Williams inside to guard but do you pass on a WR or Pitts? Hard to say. 

So as unrealistic as it seems there is a real chance Sewell at least gets to #6 where Philly has to make a decision. Could easily see another team making the plunge to move up before he gets to #9 though.  

@"Geoff Nichols" could you expand on the maturity issues?

Yeah that's a huge red flag and based on the Vikings' recent drafts, that might even take him off our board completely in the first, as insane as that might've sounded a month ago.
Also a good point you brought up about how we tried to trade up for Wirfs last year. I had forgotten that.
I can't think of many teams who've traded into the top 10 for an O-Lineman. And if we did move I personally hope it would be for a QB the Vikings have conviction in. That said, I would be very excited to shore up the line. It's long overdue.

And I could see him falling. He's not without flaws. And all it takes is one team to like Slater more, which isn't too hard to imagine. Also wouldn't surprise me too much to see AVT go higher than everyone thinks. He doesn't have Sewell's enormous upside, but he might be the cleanest OL in the draft. There's also Darrisaw. Man, Vikings really should have a couple of nice players to choose from even if they stay at #14. 

I don't know all the details. But there is a consensus opinion in the scouting community that he doesn't take training/coaching too seriously. Basically the way I understood it is that in college he was so much bigger/faster/stronger than anyone it meant he didn't have to try off the field nearly as much as he'll have to in the NFL. So can he treat is like a job? Questionable. 

What I know is that Sewell is extremely talented and has Trent Williams esq upside. But he is not the "sure thing" the media paints him to be. 

@"Geoff Nichols" not too surprising. Maybe being challenged in practice would light a fire. Maybe he just continues to dominate at the next level without trying hard.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Art...161692449/

The Trent Williams comp is spot on. Got some nasty to him. Cristobal has previously mentioned Sewell could easily carry 375 lbs and not miss a beat. The fact that he excels in so many thing we want to do on O is exciting. But, I doubt he falls outside the Top 5. Unless he totally blows his interviews if they have any.

Man, I miss the Combine.

Our 1 and first 3 should be enough juice to get to Denver's pick. If the value chart is worth a damn.