Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who thinks this next Covid Relief bill is being handled well?
I don't remember fiscal conservatives (I am generalizing) banging the table the past four years while they were "Making America Great Again"...
Trump's policies had raised the national debt by 4 trillion in three years (largely due to the terrible tax cut) before the pandemic relief which added another 3 trillion.
Quote:Trump’s most enduring legacy could be the historic rise in the national debt

It rose almost $7.8 trillion during his time in the White House — approaching World War II levels, relative to the size of the economy. This time around, it will be much harder to dig ourselves out.

The growth in the annual deficit under Trump ranks as the third-biggest increase, relative to the size of the economy, of any U.S. presidential administration, according to a calculation by Eugene Steuerle, co-founder of the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center.

And unlike George W. Bush and Abraham Lincoln, who oversaw the larger relative increases in deficits, Trump did not launch two foreign conflicts or have to pay for a civil war.
Borrowing increased under Trump despite promise to pay down the debt

The combination of Trump’s 2017 tax cut and the lack of any serious spending restraint helped both the deficit and the debt soar. So when the once-in-a-lifetime viral disaster slammed our country and we threw more than $3 trillion into pandemic-related stimulus, there was no longer any margin for error.

Our national debt has reached immense levels relative to our economy, nearly as high as it was at the end of World War II. But unlike 75 years ago, the massive financial overhang from Medicare and Social Security will make it dramatically more difficult to dig ourselves out of the debt ditch.

Falling deeper into the red is the opposite of what Trump, the self-styled “King of Debt,” said would happen if he became president.

In a March 31, 2016, interview with Bob Woodward and Robert Costa of The Washington Post, Trump said he could pay down the national debt, then about $19 trillion, “over a period of eight years” by renegotiating trade deals and spurring economic growth.

Quote: @"mblack" said:
I don't remember fiscal conservatives (I am generalizing) banging the table the past four years while they were "Making America Great Again"...
Trump's policies had raised the national debt by 4 trillion in three years (largely due to the terrible tax cut) before the pandemic relief which added another 3 trillion.
Trump’s most enduring legacy could be the historic rise in the national debt

It rose almost $7.8 trillion during his time in the White House — approaching World War II levels, relative to the size of the economy. This time around, it will be much harder to dig ourselves out.

The growth in the annual deficit under Trump ranks as the third-biggest increase, relative to the size of the economy, of any U.S. presidential administration, according to a calculation by Eugene Steuerle, co-founder of the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center.

And unlike George W. Bush and Abraham Lincoln, who oversaw the larger relative increases in deficits, Trump did not launch two foreign conflicts or have to pay for a civil war.

The combination of Trump’s 2017 tax cut and the lack of any serious spending restraint helped both the deficit and the debt soar. So when the once-in-a-lifetime viral disaster slammed our country and we threw more than $3 trillion into pandemic-related stimulus, there was no longer any margin for error.

Our national debt has reached immense levels relative to our economy, nearly as high as it was at the end of World War II. But unlike 75 years ago, the massive financial overhang from Medicare and Social Security will make it dramatically more difficult to dig ourselves out of the debt ditch.

Falling deeper into the red is the opposite of what Trump, the self-styled “King of Debt,” said would happen if he became president.

In a March 31, 2016, interview with Bob Woodward and Robert Costa of The Washington Post, Trump said he could pay down the national debt, then about $19 trillion, “over a period of eight years” by renegotiating trade deals and spurring economic growth.

So are you saying it was bad under trump, but the exponential growth is okay now?

The "covid" bailouts under Trump and Nancy (don't forget which one wanted more...) sent the debt skyrocketing.  And thanks for noticing Trump didn't start any wars.

I have said for over a decade now that tax breaks needed to go away along with many spending programs that arent critical infrastructure and defense until we have our deficit paid off and then and only then return the programs and tax breaks equally as long as we can run deficit free.  IMO the only time we should be deficit spending is in times of national crisis,  but every single spending expenditure should stand on its own,  these bull shit pork barrel projects that get tacked on to good causes are exactly why we have the debt we do.

my thoughts have always been everybody bleeds until there is no debt.  those living on programs that werent self funded like SS and Medicare ( those that have paid in should get their benefits)  but the rest get slashed,  and taxes need to be raised on people earning wages above the poverty level or even not on lower middle class that a tax increase would put them into that poverty category.

we are living in a country right now that is resembling many small towns across this country.

for years and years people fled the small towns for the cities because the cost of living was less,  now things are going to the other way,  those people that we left in those small towns didnt do any improvements to their infrastructure,  and utilities, they operated those towns to hold down their own taxes and just kept kicking all those cans down the road,   and people started moving back to those small towns because of the cheap housing and low taxes,  however after years of living in the nicer ciites they are wanting things like parks,  better water pressure, more reliable sewer, curb and gutters and better paved streets... but of course they still want that cheap cost of living.   they fled the cities but still want all the niceties...  there is not such thing as free,  somebody has to pay,  and its high fucking time we start paying instead of just letting our town go to shit for the next generation to have to fix up of find a new home.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"mblack" said:

So are you saying it was bad under trump, but the exponential growth is okay now?

The "covid" bailouts under Trump and Nancy (don't forget which one wanted more...) sent the debt skyrocketing.  And thanks for noticing Trump didn't start any wars.
No. I am saying people (generalized) did not complain about the hike when trump was in power but suddenly wanna complain now when the bill is mostly to curb a pandemic.
1. Trump increase it by 4 trillion before the pandemic.
2. Nancy is not the president. Trump is
3. Nancy did not want the tax cut. The Trump supporters pushed it through. You dont see me blaming the senate. The president is responsible not Nancy. If this relief bill does not deliver it will be on Biden’s administration nit Nancy

Yeah he did not start any wars but earned us a historic rise to the national debt. So I guess its congrats?. Is this your attempt to move the post?

@"greediron" said:
@"mblack" said:

No. I am saying people (generalized) did not complain about the hike when trump was in power but suddenly wanna complain now when the bill is mostly to curb a pandemic.
2. Nancy is not the president. Trump is
3. Nancy did not want the tax cut. The Trump supporters pushed it through. You dont see me blaming the senate. The president is responsible not Nancy. If this relief bill does not deliver it will be on Biden’s administration nit Nancy

Yeah he did not start any wars but earned us a historic rise to the national debt. So I guess its congrats?. Is this your attempt to move the post?
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1][Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1][Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]

@"greediron" said:
@"mblack" said:

2. Nancy is not the president. Trump is  Are you part of the Q theory?  Thought early march was their last gasp, but maybe you know something I don't.
3. Nancy did not want the tax cut. The Trump supporters pushed it through. You dont see me blaming the senate. The president is responsible not Nancy. If this relief bill does not deliver it will be on Biden’s administration nit Nancy "Or whatever  you want Nance"

And a minor lesson in government, the power of the purse belongs to the Reps.  

“All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with amendments as on other Bills.”
— U.S. Constitution, Article I, section 7, clause 1

But yes, the GOP went along with the freak spending and failed to cut spending while they had all the power.  Pretty sure there were some of us that lamented that fact.  The GOP couldn't even find the balls to defund planned parenthood when they had control of both houses and presidency.  

But 

correct me if I’m wrong but prisoners pay for their stay. Isnt this just a payout to the prisons for money they wouldnt have gotten before?

#CovidReliefBillFacts
  1. Over 70% of the country supports the bill. 2/3rd of the country favors it.
  2. American Airlines will no longer furlough the 13000 workers thanks to the bill. He was happy to announce that the employees should tear the WARN letter. The CEO said if the employees see a congressman they should thank him or her. He forgot to mention except its a Republican senator
  3. Biden announced another 100 million vaccines. We are now talking about a potential surplus in vaccines and may even help other countries according to Biden (this is not part of the bill)
  4. This bill has about the same amount if spending like the trump tax cuts. The difference? The Trump tax cut focused on the wealthy. 85% of the covid bill focuses on middle / low income earners
  5. The bill will make COBRA less expense. Also making it easier to get and keep health insurance. The sad part here though is that Health Insurance provisions expire in two years so buckle up.
  6. Senator Roger Wicker from Mississippi is now talking about how the bill will help and is good but he voted against it. Remember no Republican senators voted for it. How nice of him to promote the benefits of the so called "terrible" bill. I give him credit though given most of his republican colleagues have avoided talking about the bill. 
All this happened within the first 50 days of the Biden administration.

So yes let's keep talking about how it eliminates the debts for CA and NY, focus on how it increases the national debt, prisoners getting covid relief and other trivial nonsense.

Here is what Trump had to day today...

Quote:Statement by Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America
I hope that everyone remembers when they’re getting the COVID-19 (often referred to as the China Virus) Vaccine, that if I wasn’t president, you wouldn’t be getting that beautiful ‘shot’ for 5 years, at best, and probably wouldn’t be getting it at all.

I hope everyone remembers!
Saying this is just sad is an understatement but I'll leave it here for some to come justify how correct this is.