Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ's first mock
They pass on Waddle @ 14 and this daddy is going to need a new tv...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Waddle is a great receiver and more well rounded than Devonta, IMO. Serious question, if we take Waddle do you try to trade Thielen to free up cap space and sign a Guard in Free Agency?

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:
Waddle is a great receiver and more well rounded than Devonta, IMO. Serious question, if we take Waddle do you try to trade Thielen to free up cap space and sign a Guard in Free Agency?
yes

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:
The problem with that is FA will be long over by the time the draft rolls around...  at least to get a legit starting OG.

I honestly think it would be a mistake to draft a WR with our first round pick.  This team needs to retool it's lines (both offensive and defensive).  We don't need another flashy skill player pick...  games are won and lost in the trenches.  Look at the Super Bowl...  the Chiefs with all those flashy weapons and a star QB got blown out with a make shift OL.

Well let's just hope all those QBs, CBs and WRs go early so we can draft a player who won't sit on the bench 71% of the time.

And i think you just bought that TV, so you might want to consider bringing in the old 19" Trinitron from the garage when you watch the draft. :-)

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:
The problem with that is FA will be long over by the time the draft rolls around...  at least to get a legit starting OG.

I honestly think it would be a mistake to draft a WR with our first round pick.  This team needs to retool it's lines (both offensive and defensive).  We don't need another flashy skill player pick...  games are won and lost in the trenches.  Look at the Super Bowl...  the Chiefs with all those flashy weapons and a star QB got blown out with a make shift OL.
Oh I agree, I definitely want to upgrade the OL and DL. I'm just creating fun conversation by playing out different scenarios because most likely, Thielen wont be here for the remaining portion of his contract.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
There are picks I'd hate far more than this one. 
It's tough to hate a player of that caliber, but unless we go Howie on all our contracts and bring in a boatload of free agents, it's not a pick I would even consider. I'm all for BPA, but BPA among our needs. Best Smith could do right now is be a WR3 on a team that doesn't use one (fewest 3 WR sets in the NFL last year).  Looks good for the post-Thielen years, but what if he's a bust? If we bust on an OL or a DL, that's one thing. If we bust on a position we don't really need, that ain't go'n sit well. 
I would view this as tantamount to drafting Moss when we had Carter and Reed or AD when we had Taylor. You find a way. Smith could tilt the field. Plus, he could be used in the return game. Plus, you've got protection if Thielen misses time and his replacement. 

There's guys day 2 to fill G, DE, and DT. Regardless, Smith isn't sliding.
Agree.  Devonta with jj and At and isj?  Nightmare fuel for opposing secondaries.  
As to a "slide"? I saw this fan analysis on Devonta at another site:
#7 Detroit - Kenny Golladay is expected to be back despite being a free agent, but do you think Dan Campbell wants his first draft pick to be a skinny WR after talking about biting guys kneecaps off?
#8 Carolina - They're in the QB market and already have two very good, young WRs with Robby Anderson and D.J. Moore.
#9 Denver - They drafted two WRs fairly early last year with Jerry Jeudy and K.J. Hamler to go with Pro Bowl WR Courtland Sutton.
#10 Dallas - The Cowboys took CeeDee Lamb in Round 1 last year and just re-signed Amari Cooper to a big deal and have a promising young WR in Michael Gallup.

^^Plausible. 

I'd have a HARD time passing at 14.  

I think Waddle makes more sense than Smith both now and in the future. Not to say a WR should be priority #1 but at least in Waddle you're getting more of a dynamic field stretcher and a "fixer" on special teams. He would have more of a day-1 impact so at least you can picture the ROI a little better. Although we don't play in 3 WR sets all that often the ability to run Waddle vertically out of the slot has some Tyreek Hills vibes to it. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
There are picks I'd hate far more than this one. 
It's tough to hate a player of that caliber, but unless we go Howie on all our contracts and bring in a boatload of free agents, it's not a pick I would even consider. I'm all for BPA, but BPA among our needs. Best Smith could do right now is be a WR3 on a team that doesn't use one (fewest 3 WR sets in the NFL last year).  Looks good for the post-Thielen years, but what if he's a bust? If we bust on an OL or a DL, that's one thing. If we bust on a position we don't really need, that ain't go'n sit well. 
I would view this as tantamount to drafting Moss when we had Carter and Reed or AD when we had Taylor. You find a way. Smith could tilt the field. Plus, he could be used in the return game. Plus, you've got protection if Thielen misses time and his replacement. 

There's guys day 2 to fill G, DE, and DT. Regardless, Smith isn't sliding.
That was a vertical team that Moss went to. And Moss was a generational talent. If not for the off-field stuff, he would've gone about 3 days before the 1st round began. AD similar sort of thing. I remember being surprised he fell to 7, but not at all that we took him. 

Situations are different. Teams are in different places. Vikings have 3 or 4 holes. And if they can fill all or most of them with quality starters, this team will return to the playoffs. Don't think a guy like Smith does that. Just another guy who won't be getting the ball if we can't give Kirk time to throw. 

Gimme a WR in the 3rd or 4th round. 

I like your Moss comment Smile. I thought AD fell more because he was coming off shoulder surgery and someone planted a story that there were concerns if the shoulder would hold up.

Waddle has more experience as a returner, but Smith did average over 20 yards a punt return on 11 attempts when Waddle went out injured. Not too shabby. Either guy, I'm not kicking in my Samsung. But, we aren't going WR unless we find a G and 3T/DE in FA.