Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Zimmer cannot continue to be head coach
Quote: @Vikergirl said:
It's crazy because they are 2 different teams in the first and second half. Ok I get they want to establish the run but they have Jefferson who is absolutely phenomenal, throw the damn ball. I like seeing Cousins more animated this year. Maybe he is more comfortable or more motivated but they have to trust him. He gets paid a lot, more than handoffs are needed. Also if they make the playoffs, other teams know that Cook is the go to guy, they need more. If you don't do more and get to the playoffs, what's the point? They need to mix it up more, I sit and home and call out when they are going to run. And for the love of all that is sacred, running on first down is absolutely ridiculous. 
my wife wakes up from a nap and says why are they running here.... its things like this that suggest that when this team  does get eliminated because they were to stubborn to adjust what they do,  that despite taking a bad team to the playoffs in a year of epic badness,  that Zim needs to be replaced,  or at least have his control limited in some way.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
We could easily be 8-4 or 4-8. 
So true...It's that kinda season. 

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
one of the issues I have noticed is thay the play calling is still acting like we have a good defense and we dont.  
I was frustrated by this too. Glennon was picking us apart because our DL had zero pressure on him. When you have that with Kendricks being out you're in a bad spot over the middle. The corners were doing their best but only third down I kept saying "Why aren't we blitzing?". What happens in the second half, more blitzes from Harry and others. I'm not trying to dumb it down but jesus Zimmer, our DL sucks right now, you have to blitz.

Quote: @JR44 said:
The timeout with 23 seconds left instead of getting to the line and running another play and then using the timeout was just ridiculous, it was just so basic.  Then we throw to the end zone cause we figure we can't stop the clock.  Overall, not just Zimmer, this is an extremely poorly coached team.  Special team blunders every week, I understand players need to make plays, but how hard it it to tell your return guy to not run the ball out of the end zone.  

A lot of talent on this team just being wasted.  How can you have a 6'6" TE and you don't even know he is in the game.  Smith is out and Rudolph has 2 targets all game.  Not sure that Bisi Johnson who had a great game last week ever got in the game.  
Saying the obvious but Zimmer is responsible for the whole coaching staff that you say is an extremely poorly coached.  This year we have a ton of youth and no Hunter so I can understand some struggles etc but IMO this is about coaching, motivating, game planning and game adjustments.  I have wanted, a have been vocal about, a change ever since the Philly debacle.  I know we had just come off from the Miracle but the fact that we needed a Miracle to win a game we dominated was bad coaching as well - IMO.  

With Zimmer as head coach we just can't seem to string together more then 2 complete games from all units.  When the offense is on fire our defense disappoints or visa versa (not just talking this year).  You just don't see that with top coaches.  They may struggle and have a crappy quarter here and there all still winning the whole game.  We really come out flat in too many games and really play down.  Mike Glennon had his best game in ??,
two weeks removed from Andy Dalton having his best starting QBR in a few years.  We let Mitch Trubisky beat us.  Was it last year the Chiefs beat us with whoever their backup was and every year this seems to happen.  It has to be coaching when a team is this inconsistent with even veteran players never mind our current team.  

This all said and have no clear recommendation on who to hire in Zimmer's place.  You know the old corporate saying, "don't complain unless you can offer a solution" Smile

Lastly, I am not down on Spelly as GM, I think he is above average when you add up all his responsibilities including hiring a new coach with Zimmer being his first.  I think the Zimmer hire was very good and he took a horrible defense and made it more then legit.  But Zimmer's has peaked at average overall and it is time for a change.  

So just as I have posted numerous times - I want to move on from Zimmer but not Spelly.  But here is a caveat with keeping Spelly as others have pointed out to me, he thinks we are still in a window and I don't think he will have the balls to draft a QB first round next year even if we have someone we evaluate and want (Wilson Smile.  I don't think he will move up for one either of course.  Most of that reasoning is tied to Cousins contract and Spelly on a short leash to not risk a future QB pick instead of building around Cousins for another year push.  So with that all said, I wouldn't be devastated if we move on from both GM/HC and bring in an executive team staff with an eye to the future.  

Quote: @mblack said:
Just for perspective...
The Bucs at 7-5:
- 1-4 against teams with a winning record (they beat the Packers)
- 6-1 to teams without a winning record (lost to Saints on first day).

And the Packers at 9-3:
- 9-1 against teams without a winning record (lost to Vikes)
- 0-2 against teams with a winning record (Bucs and Colts)
Oh, OK, so....no one beats winning teams consistently? Every team with a great record has just feasted on crappy teams? Except that no one mentioned the Steelers (4-0 against winners), Chiefs (4-1), or Saints (3-0). Are we not allowed to compare to teams that are dominant - the ones that are all but certain to actually contend for the Super Bowl? Do the Vikings only aspire to be one of the "second tier" teams?

I want the Vikings to build to being one of the dominant teams - not just be "almost as good as the ones that are borderline successful". But many here say, "Just get in the playoffs and anything can happen." Really? Vikings have got in the playoffs 30 years, 5th most in NFL history. But only we and the Browns are in the top 10 but have not won a Super Bowl (and the Browns earned a lot of their playoff appearances before the SB era).

So you know which "anything" doesn't happen for the Vikings when they "just get in"? A championship. Nope, not going to happen with a .500 team that struggled to beat a 1-win team. If you want a few more years of aspiring to the second tier but not beyond, you have the right coach in place.

I think my biggest reason for wanting Zimmer gone is it handcuffs Spielman to an extent.  They know that they are on a short leash and that keeps them in a win now mode instead of looking at what is going to make this roster the most competitive for not just next year,  but the next 3 to 5 years or more.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@mblack said:
Just for perspective...
The Bucs at 7-5:
- 1-4 against teams with a winning record (they beat the Packers)
- 6-1 to teams without a winning record (lost to Saints on first day).

And the Packers at 9-3:
- 9-1 against teams without a winning record (lost to Vikes)
- 0-2 against teams with a winning record (Bucs and Colts)
Oh, OK, so....no one beats winning teams consistently? Every team with a great record has just feasted on crappy teams? Except that no one mentioned the Steelers (4-0 against winners), Chiefs (4-1), or Saints (3-0). Are we not allowed to compare to teams that are dominant - the ones that are all but certain to actually contend for the Super Bowl? Do the Vikings only aspire to be one of the "second tier" teams?

I want the Vikings to build to being one of the dominant teams - not just be "almost as good as the ones that are borderline successful". But many here say, "Just get in the playoffs and anything can happen." Really? Vikings have got in the playoffs 30 years, 5th most in NFL history. But only we and the Browns are in the top 10 but have not won a Super Bowl (and the Browns earned a lot of their playoff appearances before the SB era).

So you know which "anything" doesn't happen for the Vikings when they "just get in"? A championship. Nope, not going to happen with a .500 team that struggled to beat a 1-win team. If you want a few more years of aspiring to the second tier but not beyond, you have the right coach in place.
Take away the Steelers starting nose, left end, SLB, MLB, and two CBs and we'll see how they do. I actually think we're very fortunate to have all of these injuries during what was supposed to be, is, and will continue to be, a transitional year. You'd hate to have that kind of injury bug hit the team during a year when they're expected to challenge. 

I have news for you. We're not going to win the Super Bowl this year. With that information out of the way, the fact that we're aspiring to be a 2nd tier team on the verge of the playoffs is a thing to be celebrated. Stop bitching, relax, have a beer, blow your horn, sing the god damn song, and be thankful you get to watch the Vikings and their exciting young rookie wideout play meaningful football this late in the season, and maybe even make the playoffs, but almost certainly avoid what we all thought could be the beginning of a years-long rebuild.

Give this young team a taste of the playoffs, we'll all have a little bit of fun, drink too much, freak out Barr's cardiologist, and then we'll see what these guys look like in their 2nd season. Skol bruvva. 

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!"

I get that the Steelers are overrated but you can't just take away their starting nose, left end, SLB, MLB, and two CBs and we'll see how they do. That's not how it works. They have the personnel and they are undefeated. We still need upgrades. We still need to work on the offensive philosophy and no one is expecting a Super Bowl this year. They might make the playoffs but then get booted. Playoffs on a regular is not enough ROI.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@PSBLAKE said:
one of the issues I have noticed is thay the play calling is still acting like we have a good defense and we dont.  
I was frustrated by this too. Glennon was picking us apart because our DL had zero pressure on him. When you have that with Kendricks being out you're in a bad spot over the middle. The corners were doing their best but only third down I kept saying "Why aren't we blitzing?". What happens in the second half, more blitzes from Harry and others. I'm not trying to dumb it down but jesus Zimmer, our DL sucks right now, you have to blitz.

And if you blitz, you leave the young corners and a bunch of no-name LBs manning the gaps.  Remember Barr and EK, they can fake the blitz and still get back in coverage.  I don't think Wilson and crew makes any OC tremble.

And this thread is so predicable.  Bitch about Zimmer while complaining about the terrible players out there.  Missing our NT, Hunter, Barr, EK... Seems like that could be part of the issue.