Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Vikings open to trade Harrison Smith, Rudolph and Reiff
Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"medaille" said:
We're $3M Over right now in 2021
Barr, Reiff, Rudolph seem like no brainers.
Kirk Cousins has that contract clause that guarantees his 2022 $35M base salary if he's on the team in 2021, but we'd eat $41M in 2021, so ...

Cap Hits - 2021, Cap Savings if Cut
Cousins - $31,   -$10
Hunter - $17,   $6
Barr - $15,   $7
Reiff - $14,   $12
Thielen - $13.5,   $8
Kendricks - $12.5,   $2.5
Smith - $10,   $10
Rudolph - $9.5,   $5
Cook - $5.2,   -$7
Stephen - $5,   $4
Pierce - $5,   -$4
Over the Cap has the Vikings at 8.7 million over for 2021, Spotrac has us about 5 million over,  either way we need to do some serious work.

as far as Cousins goes,  we can cut him after the year with a June 1st designation which will then leave that addional 10 million of prorated bonus on 2022 instead of accelerating it into next years cap,  so 31 million in 2021 and 10 in 2022... so we got that going for us.
overthecap initially had the cap number for 2021 at 215 mil.

Now the number is down to 176 mil because the league and the players union agreed to a floor of 176 mil.  But they are negotiating still.

Considering the TV contracts are coming up for renewal by 2022, that money is what drove that initial 215 mil number.

I expect that the two sides will reach an agreement where the cap stays at 198.2 mil for at least two seasons.

If you subtract the 198 from the 215 you get 17 mil per team saved in 2021.

overthecap has the 2022 number at 227.5  mil.  If you subtract the 198 from the 227 you get 29 mil per team saved.

In two years they can save 46 mil per team which is about 1.47 billion.

I could see them keeping the cap at 198 for another season too.

They are smarter than me so they will figure out how to smooth it out over 5 or more seasons.

There are too many teams way over the cap next year to lower it to 176 mil.

Having said all that, the two players most likely not to return for sure are Reiff and Stephen.

I have been seeing that 176 million number from several sources lately.  I am assuming that after this year and the revenues being in the toilet,  they will have to lower it or the owners might not make it through the winter.

I’m fine with all three going. Id take anything for Rudolph and Reiff. A 7th is not to low. Harrison Smith I have a soft spot for. Itd be nice to get a 3rd-ish?  Itd be tough seeing him go for a 5th or 6th. 

The real question is can we trade those and use to picks to get someone to take Cousins off our hands. He’s not good with veterans helpping him. Can you imagine what itll look like without?

Also, unless there is word from up top to do so, Slick Rick and Zimmer dont trade the veterans if they think their jobs are on the line at the end of the year. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"medaille" said:
We're $3M Over right now in 2021
Barr, Reiff, Rudolph seem like no brainers.
Kirk Cousins has that contract clause that guarantees his 2022 $35M base salary if he's on the team in 2021, but we'd eat $41M in 2021, so ...

Cap Hits - 2021, Cap Savings if Cut
Cousins - $31,   -$10
Hunter - $17,   $6
Barr - $15,   $7
Reiff - $14,   $12
Thielen - $13.5,   $8
Kendricks - $12.5,   $2.5
Smith - $10,   $10
Rudolph - $9.5,   $5
Cook - $5.2,   -$7
Stephen - $5,   $4
Pierce - $5,   -$4
Over the Cap has the Vikings at 8.7 million over for 2021, Spotrac has us about 5 million over,  either way we need to do some serious work.

as far as Cousins goes,  we can cut him after the year with a June 1st designation which will then leave that addional 10 million of prorated bonus on 2022 instead of accelerating it into next years cap,  so 31 million in 2021 and 10 in 2022... so we got that going for us.
overthecap initially had the cap number for 2021 at 215 mil.

Now the number is down to 176 mil because the league and the players union agreed to a floor of 176 mil.  But they are negotiating still.

Considering the TV contracts are coming up for renewal by 2022, that money is what drove that initial 215 mil number.

I expect that the two sides will reach an agreement where the cap stays at 198.2 mil for at least two seasons.

If you subtract the 198 from the 215 you get 17 mil per team saved in 2021.

overthecap has the 2022 number at 227.5  mil.  If you subtract the 198 from the 227 you get 29 mil per team saved.

In two years they can save 46 mil per team which is about 1.47 billion.

I could see them keeping the cap at 198 for another season too.

They are smarter than me so they will figure out how to smooth it out over 5 or more seasons.

There are too many teams way over the cap next year to lower it to 176 mil.

Having said all that, the two players most likely not to return for sure are Reiff and Stephen.

I have been seeing that 176 million number from several sources lately.  I am assuming that after this year and the revenues being in the toilet,  they will have to lower it or the owners might not make it through the winter.
Perhaps it will be close to 176 mil in 2021?

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-nflpa-reach-agreement-on-covid-19-adjustments-to-cba

Financially, the league will spread the impact of any 2020 revenue shortfall due to the pandemic over four years beginning in 2021. The salary cap will be at least $175 million in 2021, while the 2020 cap of $198.2 million remains unchanged. The two sides were able to reach an agreement after owners raised the minimum cap for 2021 from $165 million to $175 million and dropped their request for an $8 million reduction in cap for 2020, per Pelissero.

If it does end up that low then Reiff and Stephen are gone.  Rudolph and Barr could/should get traded or asked to take a big cut.  

There will be blood!

I think the only asset we have left that is movable for value would be Reiff and he has been our best lineman this year and deserves a raise really.  Of course you cant do it with shittons of money tied up elsewhere.

Unfortunately Cousins has finally proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he cannot carry a team in this current NFL. He is now a big ass anchor to us moving forward.  

To me, Harry should be resigned to a long term deal and retire in purple. He reminds me alot of Rod Woodsen who played well through mid thirties.  Harris can go somewhere else

At some point we need to stick in Udoh and Metellus and Dye and Wonnum and the DT from Arkansas and stop with all the draft capital in CB’s and WR’s FFS.  Build from the inside out. Many of us have said it but old Meathead Tice is still right, always pick the big guy and draft a QB every effing year or 2 at least if you have to to find the next Wilson or Lamar Jackson. 

So goddamn frustrating.  I have been a big fan of Zimmer's but this season is pushing me to the breaking point.  I am actively rooting for them to lose now in order to get Lawrence, although I don't see how the Jets can possibly win a game this year.

Having a complete garbage O-line for 10 years, signing/extending Cousins and never having a young, promising QB on the roster as a future option all falls on Rick though.

While I'm at it, continually moving the goddamn O linemen around like it's musical chairs and then wondering why they never develop really pisses me off as well.  Now we are doing it again this year and potentially ruining our 2nd round pick this year in Ezra Cleveland.

I like Rudolph but he has been overpaid for years.

Regardless, until we finally get a goddamn decent franchise QB on this team, we don't have a chance in hell.  Draft 1 or 2 QBs every single year until you hit paydirt, and then draft 1 each year afterwards to keep the pipeline stocked.  Imagine being a Packers fan and having 30 consecutive years of a HOF QB leading your team.  Fuckers.

**Rant over**

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
While I'm at it, continually moving the goddamn O linemen around like it's musical chairs and then wondering why they never develop really pisses me off as well.  Now we are doing it again this year and potentially ruining our 2nd round pick this year in Ezra Cleveland.

Regardless, until we finally get a goddamn decent franchise QB on this team, we don't have a chance in hell.  Draft 1 or 2 QBs every single year until you hit paydirt, and then draft 1 each year afterwards to keep the pipeline stocked.  Imagine being a Packers fan and having 30 consecutive years of a HOF QB leading your team.  Fuckers.

**Rant over**
I feel like i've read that somewhere before.... B)

@"SFVikingFan" said:

**Rant over**
Hey Jimmy, I've gone back to school full-time so I've been absent for a while but if you've been posting that, I definitely agree!  Smile  I've been screaming about QB and O-line for years.  Without those two, nothing else really matters.  So frustrating to see such obvious deficiencies all coming home to roost now.  Along with what I will say is bad luck trying to completely revamp your defense this year and then having COVID hit and cancelling pretty much everything up until training camp.

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"SFVikingFan" said:

**Rant over**
Hey Jimmy, I've gone back to school full-time so I've been absent for a while but if you've been posting that, I definitely agree!  Smile  I've been screaming about QB and O-line for years.  Without those two, nothing else really matters.  So frustrating to see such obvious deficiencies all coming home to roost now.  Along with what I will say is bad luck trying to completely revamp your defense this year and then having COVID hit and cancelling pretty much everything up until training camp.
good for you!   i have said forever that we need to focus on OL an DL and then keep QBs on their rookie deals to control costs until we really hit on a guy to good to let walk (like a Brady or Favre type of player.) I would trade them before their final year so that we get the first rounders that come from trading starting QBs instead of letting them walk and only getting a third round pick in return.

@"SFVikingFan" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"SFVikingFan" said:

**Rant over**
good for you!   i have said forever that we need to focus on OL an DL and then keep QBs on their rookie deals to control costs until we really hit on a guy to good to let walk (like a Brady or Favre type of player.) I would trade them before their final year so that we get the first rounders that come from trading starting QBs instead of letting them walk and only getting a third round pick in return.

It's a good idea but it's dependent on drafting and developing at least a STARTING quarterback. You might have thought a team could turn the #12 overall pick into a competent above-average starter worth trading to someone, but we failed doubly with Ponder:1. We didn't pick the most talented QB available. Whatever you feel about Kaepernick's off-field actions, he had far more ability than Ponder. So did Andy Dalton.2. We didn't develop Ponder. Seriously, did he look lost in 2012? No, he was developing decently for a 2nd-year QB, and his physical skills were up to the task. Of course he had a RB on an amazing season taking the heat off and his OL was probably better than any the Vikings have fielded since. But within 2 years he was a lost cause, so shattered that no coach could fix his deer-in-headlights issue. I'm still surprised he couldn't become an adequate NFL backup for a decade.

So even if you pick some decent QB prospects (for which Spielman has no positive track record), you have to develop them, and how do you do that with a head coach who doesn't like the passing game, a different offensive coordinator every season, and the worst offensive line in the league?
Many people assume Bridgewater would have become a great QB here if he had not been injured. Maybe - but maybe in 2016 he would have been confused by the tension of having 2 de facto Offensive coordinators (Turner and Shurmur), one of them quitting, and an offensive line that was changing players multiple times a game.  Ponder regressed in Minnesota, I think Cousins has regressed since coming here...why wouldn't Bridgewater?
Even if we lucked into Trevor Lawrence, if we keep Spielman (who won't invest in the OL) and Zimmer (who isn't supportive of his QBs and blows up offensive coordinators), in 3 years Lawrence will just be the next Jameis Winston.