Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings should be in rebuild mode come trade deadline
I guess there is some dead cap acceleration if you trade in season that wont allow us to move Cousins this year unless we unloaded enough other players to create the cap space necessary to fit that number into this years cap.  anybody know how much of that dead cap money would roll into this season?

Vikings will continue to swirl until they get the QB right...

GB would barely be a .500 team without Rogers. Have they ever finished below .500 with him starting since 09?

A good qb makes the coaching and rest of the players look that much better and smarter. 

It seems like unless the Vikings can eat the entire 20 million of dead cap from the signing bonus into this years cap space (currently at a little over 2.5 million created by the Ngokoue trade)  so they would have a long ass way to go.  so Cousins stays until the end of the season.

However at that time the team can cut him with a June first designation,  (2 players per year can be cut this way)  by doing so that spreads that dead cap hit ( 20 million in Cousins case)  over the next 2 seasons so he would only count 31 million against next year.  With the final 10 coming off of the 2022 cap.   This might be critical as it appears that right now the Vikings are about 8.7 million over the projected salary cap of 176 million (down about 22 million from this year.)  So that additional 10 from Cousins 2022 deal might be to much to eat next year.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
It seems like unless the Vikings can eat the entire 20 million of dead cap from the signing bonus into this years cap space (currently at a little over 2.5 million created by the Ngokoue trade)  so they would have a long ass way to go.  so Cousins stays until the end of the season.

However at that time the team can cut him with a June first designation,  (2 players per year can be cut this way)  by doing so that spreads that dead cap hit ( 20 million in Cousins case)  over the next 2 seasons so he would only count 31 million against next year.  With the final 10 coming off of the 2022 cap.   This might be critical as it appears that right now the Vikings are about 8.7 million over the projected salary cap of 176 million (down about 22 million from this year.)  So that additional 10 from Cousins 2022 deal might be to much to eat next year.

So we're buggered. Nice.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:

So we're buggered. Nice.
for now.  it doesnt mean that they cant start shopping him for offseason trades though?  Sure he wont bring much but perhaps they can have a deal in place that would lessen that cap hit for 2021?  However,  IIRC there was a clause that if he got hurt that his 2022 was guaranteed as well... so if that is the case then perhaps we should shut him down immediately?

Cap Hell is now upon the Vikings organization.

With Salary Cap adjusted and lowered the next 3 seasons and Cousins deal it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

Spielman knows the draft and this team. He is a wheeler dealer and who can acquire draft capital and is not afraid to take chances. The Wilfs will need him this offseason to make some moves.

I think Zimmer can rebuild a defense as well as anyone else... so, keep him one more year to do that. If his defense doesn't improve next season, fire him then. I think Spielman has a safety net in place with Capers and Kubiak allowing him to have a quick hook with Zimmer mid season 2021 if needed.

As far as Cousins,... if we cut him and he is resigned by another team and plays in 2021... does some of that new contract comes off of what the Vikings would owe him? 

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:
Spielman knows the draft and this team. He is a wheeler dealer and who can acquire draft capital and is not afraid to take chances. The Wilfs will need him this offseason to make some moves.

I think Zimmer can rebuild a defense as well as anyone else... so, keep him one more year to do that. If his defense doesn't improve next season, fire him then. I think Spielman has a safety net in place with Capers and Kubiak allowing him to have a quick hook with Zimmer mid season 2021 if needed.

As far as Cousins,... if we cut him and he is resigned by another team and plays in 2021... does some of that new contract comes off of what the Vikings would owe him? 

I can't agree fully. Spielman: yes he knows the draft but - "acquire draft capital"? He just traded an early 2nd for a late 3rd. What he consistently acquires is turning a higher pick into multiple lower picks, and it is VERY debatable whether he increases his equity or is just trading 1 nickel for 3 pennies. And his non-draft decisions, like choosing QBs and coaches and who to extend - have been weak. He is good at picking players to draft, not much else.

As for Zimmer, we need more than "rebuild a defense" - we need a GD Head Coach!!!
I think we have someone who should be Director of Player Personnel Evaluation as GM, and someone who should be Defensive Coordinator as Head Coach.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Vikings will continue to swirl until they get the QB right...

GB would barely be a .500 team without Rogers. Have they ever finished below .500 with him starting since 09?

A good qb makes the coaching and rest of the players look that much better and smarter. 
That's looking more true now that McCarthy looks lost in Dallas without a qb like ARod.

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:

I dont think so.  That is money he is guaranteed from the Vikings and gets paid out immediately upon release IIRC.