Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings should be in rebuild mode come trade deadline
That's the time to unload some salaries, gain some draft picks and set the franchise back toward the light at the end of the tunnel. Reiff and Harris are two prime candidates that could gather some real attention. 

Maybe they should be. I don't see any indication that is their intention, does anyone else?

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
Maybe they should be. I don't see any indication that is their intention, does anyone else?
^

They should be but I don't know what they are thinking or doing. 

At this point for me, the only keepers are basically all those on rookie contracts, Kendricks, Hunter and maybe Thielen...but only because he’s a Minnesotan. 

We are always only a player or two away from the Super Bowl for 43 years.

I'm sure Zimmer is not interested in this as he can start to see the writing on the wall. He'll be 65 years old before the start of next season. But its exactly what the franchise needs to do. You don't need a new HC and GM to draft the QB of the future, in fact, Minnesota drafting one this Spring makes it more attractive to potential HC candidates for 2022. Because Z ain't getting fired this year, nor is Spielman. 

Here's the perfect scenario: clear some players/space before trade deadline/offseason, cut Cousins before June, sign a vet bandaid to start, draft a QB to sit and learn and fire Z and Spielman after 2021 season and bring in the next whiz kid. The table will be set with cap space and still have some talent on the team that will continue to be loaded via the draft. I like Cousins, but that experiment failed ultimately. They took a swing. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I'm sure Zimmer is not interested in this as he can start to see the writing on the wall. He'll be 65 years old before the start of next season. But its exactly what the franchise needs to do. You don't need a new HC and GM to draft the QB of the future, in fact, Minnesota drafting one this Spring makes it more attractive to potential HC candidates for 2022. Because Z ain't getting fired this year, nor is Spielman. 

Here's the perfect scenario: clear some players/space before trade deadline/offseason, cut Cousins before June, sign a vet bandaid to start, draft a QB to sit and learn and fire Z and Spielman after 2021 season and bring in the next whiz kid. The table will be set with cap space and still have some talent on the team that will continue to be loaded via the draft. I like Cousins, but that experiment failed ultimately. They took a swing. 

Ideal maybe, but - how do you get Spielman and Zimmer to coordinate a scenario that only helps their successors?

There's also a concern that if the "next whiz kid" coach and/or GM doesn't get here until 2022, he might not want the QB picked in 2021. We could pick Trey Lance in 2021 and hire a coach who wants to pick Sam Howell.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Ideal maybe, but - how do you get Spielman and Zimmer to coordinate a scenario that only helps their successors?

It helps the franchise. They like being employed. Does it matter if they like it or not? Spielman has been with the Vikings since 2006....hell, he may even survive this thing. Zimmer will not. I think the Wilfs like Spielman just a smidge more than Mike Zimmer. At this point there is a 0.0% chance because of the way Cousins contract is set up, he's on this team come summer and there's really no incentive for Cousins to restructure as he'd end up never recouping that money as he's not the answer for this team. Take the money, get cut and get a mid-level starting salary from another NFL team. That optimizes his financial situation. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:

Yeah, the next "whiz kid." I LOVE that guy.

We may fire Zimmer. In fact, he may retire. He's already 8 years older than Bud Grant was when he retired, which sort of blows my mind. 

But if we fire Spielman, it will be the biggest blunder this team has made since the days of Mike Lynn. You like getting guys like Justin Jefferson, Dalvin Cook, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Stefon Diggs? Say goodbye to that. Because it's not typical.

Take it from a guy who follows the draft like a religion, very few teams draft like the Vikings have under Spielman. And remember what it was like before him. Willie Offord, Micheal Boireau, Roanall Smith, Williamson, etc. 

The biggest problem on this team is not the acquisition of talent; it's taking that talent and getting them ready to play in big games and small. We didn't lose to the Eagles in the NFCC three years ago because we were less talented then them. We lost because we were out game planned. We didn't lose to the 49ers or the Packers and/or the Bears last year because we were less talented than them. We lost mostly because we were out game planned. 

No, dumping Rick would be like overheating on the highway and getting out and changing your tire.