Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kubiak new OC
Surprised but very happy about this. Didn't think he wanted a job back in the daily grind. I hope his health holds out. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Surprised but very happy about this. Didn't think he wanted a job back in the daily grind. I hope his health holds out. 

The ischemic incident he had a few years ago is supposedly under control and one article said that issue is "behind him".
I think this gig he has with the Vikings is the best of both worlds.  He doesn't have to concern himself with the daily headaches of being head coach and he's groomed his son to carry on his offensive philosophy.  And with the weapons he currently has and will obtain with the draft, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings O do even better in '20.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@MaroonBells said:

The ischemic incident he had a few years ago is supposedly under control and one article said that issue is "behind him".
I think this gig he has with the Vikings is the best of both worlds.  He doesn't have to concern himself with the daily headaches of being head coach and he's groomed his son to carry on his offensive philosophy.  And with the weapons he currently has and will obtain with the draft, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings O do even better in '20.
Agreed...I think the O should be as least as good if everything goes as drawn out on the chalkboard.  

Odd to have the Offense being the strength of the team during this Zimmer era. But he never really had much qb'ing until Cousins either. Let alone AT, Diggs, Cook and Rudolph too.  

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Ralphie said:
@MaroonBells said:

Agreed...I think the O should be as least as good if everything goes as drawn out on the chalkboard.  

Odd to have the Offense being the strength of the team during this Zimmer era. But he never really had much qb'ing until Cousins either. Let alone AT, Diggs, Cook and Rudolph too.  
Yeah, grab a couple of league average corners, build another Maginot line in front of Cousins and lets see if we can't just outscore everyone. I have to think with Zim, Rick and Kirk all with one-year contracts that there will be a sense of urgency to do whatever it takes.

After two years of OC's with no prior experience, it should be much better to have one with a history of success that will also keep the current scheme intact. Hopefully they can upgrade the personnel.

Not only will there be no backslide, I think the offense will be better under Kubiak. 

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
After two years of OC's with no prior experience, it should be much better to have one with a history of success that will also keep the current scheme intact. Hopefully they can upgrade the personnel.

That was my thoughts as well.  Since Shurmur left, our offense has been shaky at times.  I pin much of the struggles this year on play calling.  Bears game, half of Denver, Packers, SF, some of the play calling didn't give KC much of a chance.  Couldn't run, and Stef seemed very slow to adjust. 

Funny thing is, the Denver game, we adjusted in the second half and KC kicked ass.  But that was in a hurry up.  Why Stef wouldn't switch to that in some of those other games still baffles me. 

lots of faith for a guy that was in the previous OCs ear during the game in a mentoring role.  If Kubiak is as wise as some hope he will be.... why didnt he make the same suggestions to stefanski that some of you think he will make as the play caller?   no offense but all we heard when he got here was he was the defacto OC and Stefanski would be getting his cues from Kubiak,  Kubiaks offense, Kubiaks game plan.  etc etc   well then when it failed it was Stefanskis follie and somehow now Kubiak is going to make it all better?   I am not buying it.   there is only one thing that will make this offense better and that is to improve the OL play.

Quote: @greediron said:
@jargomcfargo said:

That was my thoughts as well.  Since Shurmur left, our offense has been shaky at times.  I pin much of the struggles this year on play calling.  Bears game, half of Denver, Packers, SF, some of the play calling didn't give KC much of a chance.  Couldn't run, and Stef seemed very slow to adjust. 

Funny thing is, the Denver game, we adjusted in the second half and KC kicked ass.  But that was in a hurry up.  Why Stef wouldn't switch to that in some of those other games still baffles me. 
Cousins said Kevin waited until they were about to leave the locker room at the end of halftime before he finally committed to the Hurry-up. 

Think about that. Down 20. Haven't scored a single point. And the OC is struggling to pull the trigger on making an in-game adjustment. Kevin waited a long time to be an OC and once he got the job I think he was so sure of the schemes he'd worked so long to perfect that he literally couldn't get out of his own way when they weren't working. 

My biggest question for Gary is will he develop a short and intermediate passing game. One of the posted articles referenced how he loves Play Action and Boots/Waggles to Deep Crossers.

Well, that won't work when the running game is stuck in the mud and teams are watching out for the boots/waggles. Kirk doesn't have enough time in the pocket nor the movement skills to create extra time for the Deep Crossers to come open. Especially with doubleteams.

Can Gary go Hurry-up? Or sit Kirk in Shotgun? Or call quick slants? Stefanski seemed allergic to doing it unless the team was in a deep hole or in the 2 minute Offense. And yet, when they did use it the results were positive. 

That's my biggest question. Will Gary adjust when facing the Packers and 9ers and that Seattle crowd noise that artificially improves their pass rush?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
lots of faith for a guy that was in the previous OCs ear during the game in a mentoring role.  If Kubiak is as wise as some hope he will be.... why didnt he make the same suggestions to stefanski that some of you think he will make as the play caller?   no offense but all we heard when he got here was he was the defacto OC and Stefanski would be getting his cues from Kubiak,  Kubiaks offense, Kubiaks game plan.  etc etc   well then when it failed it was Stefanskis follie and somehow now Kubiak is going to make it all better?   I am not buying it.   there is only one thing that will make this offense better and that is to improve the OL play.
Not being flippant here, but have you coached before?  If so, have you called offense or defense?  I haven't either, but I have been there helping them and watched them closely.  I thought it would be fun to call defense, but at one point was sort of the co-defensive coordinator and was involved in the game planning.  The other guy called the plays and I developed a healthy respect for the ability to do that in real time.  I think offense is worse, you have to have a feel for the game, creativity, but with the ability to stick to your plan.
I say all that to say, who says Kubiak didn't suggest things?  But Stef was the play caller, doing it by committee wouldn't work, one guy has to own it and sink or swim.  I imagine Kubiak had to give him some space to do it his way and make the calls.
And you ask why we think Kubiak will be better?  Because has done it and done it well.  Guy has established that he can do it and with lots of different personnel. That is something not many coaches can say.