Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paton To Interview With The Browns...Maybe...Probably
Here is what he "officially" does. I simply like how close he is to the scouting of these young players and the draft. I think that will be huge to lose. Working that closely with scouts is a big deal. I could be wrong, but I think it will be a big loss and lets see if Rick can do it on his own. 

[Image: jiujyayvlu58.png]

Quote: @"Canthony" said:
Here is what he "officially" does. I simply like how close he is to the scouting of these young players and the draft. I think that will be huge to lose. Working that closely with scouts is a big deal. I could be wrong, but I think it will be a big loss and lets see if Rick can do it on his own. 

"Coordinating functions" and "lending expertise" is a lot different than being the one in charge of calling the shots. 

I don't want to take anything away from Paton, because he's paid his dues and earned his stripes. He deserves his chance at making those decisions himself.  But to say that he somehow deserves "more" credit for our drafts than Spielman is just silly. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Canthony" said:

"Coordinating functions" and "lending expertise" is a lot different than being the one in charge of calling the shots. 

I don't want to take anything away from Paton, because he's paid his dues and earned his stripes. He deserves his chance at making those decisions himself.  But to say that he somehow deserves "more" credit for our drafts than Spielman is just silly. 
It is all moot. Paton dropped himself out of the running once again it seems. We just don't want to lose the guy. Reports said that the Browns were ready to make him their GM 

I think Paton gets guys for Rick is what I was implying. I believe that, by his title, that he works more directly with the Scouts and the players they are scouting. 

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot · 58mAs first reported here, #Vikings GM George Paton took himself out of the running for the #Browns GM job today, source tells me; #Eagles Andrew Berry the leading candidate  https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/geo...idate.html

I think Paton is just building up frequent flyer miles...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot · 58mAs first reported here, #Vikings GM George Paton took himself out of the running for the #Browns GM job today, source tells me; #Eagles Andrew Berry the leading candidate  https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/geo...idate.html

I think Paton is just building up frequent flyer miles...
What is up with this dude? That's got to be, what, 4 or 5 times now he's removed himself from consideration after interviewing and becoming what was, by most accounts, the leading candidate. 

He's pulled out more often than most 16 year olds.

Via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com, Paton removed his name from consideration for the Browns G.M. job because Paton “had a number of issues he had to work through, and wasn’t entirely comfortable with how it would all play out.” Paton also left his second interview with “some questions about the power structure and the division of labor.”
Paton’s decision to stay in Minnesota caps a process that Paton was leery to even commence, given his belief that Andrew Berry was the top choice for the job.
It seems, based on Cabot’s article, that chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta wants Berry and that new coach Kevin Stefanski wanted Paton. Which, if accurate, becomes the latest example of a high-level power struggle with strong “I told you so” potential if when Berry, now the presumptive favorite to get the job, doesn’t work out.
According to Cabot, Paton spent roughly eight hours at team headquarters in Ohio on Tuesday for his second interview. He left unsure whether it was a good fit.
In addition to working with Stefanski, the G.M. also will have to navigate DePodesta, a four-year employee (that’s like 40 in Browns years) who seems to be acquiring more power and influence as key figures like Sashi Brown, Hue Jackson, John Dorsey, and Freddie Kitchens come and go.
Paton went before he even arrived, which for him was the right call. While coaches head often get a second chance if the first stop doesn’t work out, General Managers usually get one bite at the apple. They need to make it the best bite they can.

Did he really need to travel to Cleveland twice to figure out the structure there is screwed up?

I mean it's the Browns and all. I wouldn't even want to get to the point where I had to pull out. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Did he really need to travel to Cleveland twice to figure out the structure there is screwed up?
I don't think so but there must have been some reason he went back for a second visit.