Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Lines Are Out...
The thing is...  outside of Kittle, none of their receiving options scare me.  Deebo has looked good, but he's a rookie... and the corpse of Emmanuel Sanders isn't the threat he used to be in Denver.  What is scary is their 3-headed running game with Mostert, Breida, and Coleman...

I wonder if we'll go to a similar game plan as Dallas where we sell out to stop the run and force Jimmy G to beat us?  We'll see what Zimmer cooks up this week.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
The thing is...  outside of Kittle, none of their receiving options scare me.  Deebo has looked good, but he's a rookie... and the corpse of Emmanuel Sanders isn't the threat he used to be in Denver.  What is scary is their 3-headed running game with Mostert, Breida, and Coleman...

I wonder if we'll go to a similar game plan as Dallas where we sell out to stop the run and force Jimmy G to beat us?  We'll see what Zimmer cooks up this week.
Man I have a different take than you on this one. New Orleans had Thomas, Kamara and what? Cook, Ginn? Smith? I'm leaving Hill out since he's a unique player.

Dedicate a ton of resources to Thomas and Kamara and live with 1 on 1 matchups with the lesser skill players. 

Debo>Ginn. Sanders>Smith. 3 RBs>Murray/Kamara from a rushing perspective as I've always thought of Alvin as much more of a receiving threat than rushing threat.

If you double Kilttles with Waynes/Harris you get Samuels on Rhodes or Sendejo or Smith or Hill. Same with Sanders. The 9ers Guards are better than NO too, though unheralded. 

I'm actually more worried about Minnesota's Defense against their Offense than the Offense against that great Defense. They don't have a Chris Jones/Kenny Clatk type on the interior and have been vulnerable to the run. They only have 1 good CB.

If Reiff can handle the speedy edge rushing and Stefanski stops calling that freaking toss left run I think the Vikings can put some points on the board. If Jimmy G. gets a clean pocket he can sling all over the field. 

I wonder if we handle Kittles the same way we did Thomas...I think a CB and S over the top will get Molly womped...

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Vikings will need a different gameplan for the 49ers. Shanahan is an excellent strategist. Big challenge. The homefield advantage was greater in NO than it will be in San Francisco, however. I won't say the Vikings can't do it, but it will take execution of a good gameplan again on the road. Should be fun.
Good news is that our D practices against that type of offense every day.  Bad news is it is grass.  May slow down Dalvin and I don't like that.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@Wetlander said:

Man I have a different take than you on this one. New Orleans had Thomas, Kamara and what? Cook, Ginn? Smith? I'm leaving Hill out since he's a unique player.

Dedicate a ton of resources to Thomas and Kamara and live with 1 on 1 matchups with the lesser skill players. 

Debo>Ginn. Sanders>Smith. 3 RBs>Murray/Kamara from a rushing perspective as I've always thought of Alvin as much more of a receiving threat than rushing threat.

If you double Kilttles with Waynes/Harris you get Samuels on Rhodes or Sendejo or Smith or Hill. Same with Sanders. The 9ers Guards are better than NO too, though unheralded. 

I'm actually more worried about Minnesota's Defense against their Offense than the Offense against that great Defense. They don't have a Chris Jones/Kenny Clatk type on the interior and have been vulnerable to the run. They only have 1 good CB.

If Reiff can handle the speedy edge rushing and Stefanski stops calling that freaking toss left run I think the Vikings can put some points on the board. If Jimmy G. gets a clean pocket he can sling all over the field. 
You're completely overlooking that Jared Cook was the #2 receiving option for the Saints this year, not Ginn or Smith.  His 705 yards and 9 TDs are far more than either of those players.  Further, in most of the games since SF traded for Sanders...  it was rare for him and Deebo to both have big games.  Generally, it was one or the other or they both took a backseat to Kittle and the RBs.

The point I was making is that we should be far more worried about their rushing attack being a major problem for our defense since that is the strength of their team.  The Saints ran the ball fairly well this year, but you had to worry more about stopping Brees, Michael Thomas, Cook, and Kamara in the passing game.  This matchup will be much different when you consider that San Francisco is going to want to stay committed to the run, get Kittle his targets, and get Deebo in space rushing and receiving.  SF isn't as dangerous of a passing team, but they can hurt you if you don't stop the run.

Vikings by far the best against TEs.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Jeff/status/1214...88769?s=20

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@FSUVike said:
@Wetlander said:

You're completely overlooking that Jared Cook was the #2 receiving option for the Saints this year, not Ginn or Smith.  His 705 yards and 9 TDs are far more than either of those players.  Further, in most of the games since SF traded for Sanders...  it was rare for him and Deebo to both have big games.  Generally, it was one or the other or they both took a backseat to Kittle and the RBs.

The point I was making is that we should be far more worried about their rushing attack being a major problem for our defense since that is the strength of their team.  The Saints ran the ball fairly well this year, but you had to worry more about stopping Brees, Michael Thomas, Cook, and Kamara in the passing game.  This matchup will be much different when you consider that San Francisco is going to want to stay committed to the run, get Kittle his targets, and get Deebo in space rushing and receiving.  SF isn't as dangerous of a passing team, but they can hurt you if you don't stop the run.

I think all the teams left minus the Chiefs want to get the ground game going. Stopping that is critical. And it will be from the same ZBS that Minnesota uses. They've definitely got some slippery RBs that can hit that cutback crease and go just like Dalvin.

Sanders and Samuel both had over 800 yards this year. Kittle is a load. The good news is that unlike Kelce and other highly productive TEs Kittles tends to catch most of his passes within 10 yards of the LOS. Ironically, just like Michael Thomas. His productivity comes from YAC. Minnesota is the best at not giving up YAC, although Taysom Hill clearly didn't get that memo.

The combo coverages should keep him under wraps. But can we hold up in coverage against Debo & Samuel? Zimmer knew Brees couldn't throw deep. That's not the case with Jimmy. And if the running game is working you then have Play Action to deal with.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more of Jaleel Johnson to try and clog up the wide zone runs. And some Double A Gap looks to confuse Garrapolo. Don't think the Griff/Hunter inside look would be as effective against their Guards. Sendejo covering their WRs would be a nightmare. But I trust Mike to have some wrinkles up his sleeve.

I think this game is simple on D - stop the run and make JG beat you. 

He's no Jack Kennedy (I mean Brees, Wilson, Mahomes) last I looked. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I think this game is simple on D - stop the run and make JG beat you. 

He's no Jack Kennedy (I mean Brees, Wilson, Mahomes) last I looked. 
I think that's pretty much it. Very similar to the Saints game plan. Focus on the run, rotate coverage to Thomas. Let Kendricks, Kearse and Harris manage the TE, which they've done well all year. If anyone's going to beat you, it will be their below average 2nd and 3rd receivers and/or their gadget player, Taysom Hill. 

For the 49ers, it could be very similar. Focus on the run. Let Kendricks, Kearse and Harris manage Kittle, and if anyone's going to beat you, it will be their gadget player, Deebo Samuel. 

The only real difference I see is that you don't blitz Brees, but you can definitely blitz Jimmy G. 

I would not sleep on Emmanuel Sanders. He's still very quick. With extra time to prepare for the game, I wouldn't be surprised to see him running in the slot a lot more than his usual ~25%. He's been very effective there and with our current injuries, we are very vulnerable in that spot.
We have not played a strong slot WR since Mac went down, so if Sanders goes there I'm not sure what Zim's plan will be. Will Waynes follow him all game? Will be interesting.