Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cook Not Living Up To Preseason Hype
Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
SO!....   what is all this love worth?   As fans,   do we get into another situation with a RB that financially handcuffs the team because he is being paid significantly above the league average for the position?  Hes going to be due a new deal this offseason so how much given his immense talent and his injury history?  With Mattison in the fold and showing pretty well himself,  do you set the market with Cook or make him a fair offer and if he needs the top deal wish him well and take the compensatory pick?
Mattison is good, but Dalvin is special. Just pay him and keep improving that line. There are big contracts that will fall off the books soon enough: Rudy, Reiff and Rhodes come to mind. 
Dalvin's acceleration, how quickly he gets through the hole is what separates him from others. 
Thirded. Mattison is a good bruiser and will keep improving, but the gap between Dalvin and Mattison (and most other RBs in the league) is wide. Especially in this system.
Plus in recent years the Vikings have given second contracts to just about everyone with a pulse, so I assume they'll do the same for Dalvin. Not much point getting worked up over it on either side, since I think it's a certainty they'll pay him if he finishes the year strong.
i dont think anybody is going to be worked up when it happens,  just wondering how many will be bitching 2 years into the new deal and he is not performing up to it.  RBs have such a short shelf life its hard to get excited for the prospect of being tied to a fading star.    there was a time I would be blasting me for even suggesting not making the the top paid guy, seeing how fast some of these guys fall off and how much it affects our teams success.. I am starting to think more to the next year than the now to keep the talent flowing.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
SO!....   what is all this love worth?   As fans,   do we get into another situation with a RB that financially handcuffs the team because he is being paid significantly above the league average for the position?  Hes going to be due a new deal this offseason so how much given his immense talent and his injury history?  With Mattison in the fold and showing pretty well himself,  do you set the market with Cook or make him a fair offer and if he needs the top deal wish him well and take the compensatory pick?
Mattison is good, but Dalvin is special. Just pay him and keep improving that line. There are big contracts that will fall off the books soon enough: Rudy, Reiff and Rhodes come to mind. 
thats a good theory,  but every year we hear about how this or that contract is coming off the books and yet then next year we are right back to being up against the cap wall.  A healthy Dalvin is  a special player,  but 1 out of 3 years doesnt give me a ton of confidence to back up the brinks truck at his door step.  I agree with improving the OL,  but there are other spots as well that need improving and that will require some big money deals to FAs at some point since there are only so many draft picks, and those FAs are going to have their own big money deals that eat up what ever we get rid of from our roster.  I see the team making a run at a FA OG and a 3T this coming offseason,  also they will be needing to resign a bunch of their own players.  the money never seems to go quite far enough unless we are letting at least one position suffer.
I am going to take exception to the harping (not just you Jimmy, they were on and on about it last night) about his injury history.  He blew out his ACL in the middle of year 1.  Last year was about recovery.  Recovering from a knee injury, it is common to have other leg issues and for Dalvin it was hammies.  Early in the year as I recall, it started less than a year out from his ACL.
That is one injury in my book.  Watching him, he doesn't take a ton of hits.  He is slippery, avoiding some, initiating others and often wisely stepping out of bounds at the end of a big run.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
thats a good theory,  but every year we hear about how this or that contract is coming off the books and yet then next year we are right back to being up against the cap wall.  A healthy Dalvin is  a special player,  but 1 out of 3 years doesnt give me a ton of confidence to back up the brinks truck at his door step.  I agree with improving the OL,  but there are other spots as well that need improving and that will require some big money deals to FAs at some point since there are only so many draft picks, and those FAs are going to have their own big money deals that eat up what ever we get rid of from our roster.  I see the team making a run at a FA OG and a 3T this coming offseason,  also they will be needing to resign a bunch of their own players.  the money never seems to go quite far enough unless we are letting at least one position suffer.
Being up against the cap wall because we drafted good players is a helluva lot better than the alternative. Just enjoy the win and the fact that we hit big time on Dalvin Cook in the 2nd round.

Cap management is a problem all good teams deal with and we have no idea where we're going to be when it comes time to extend Dalvin. Say we draft a QB in the 1st round this spring. Then in all likelihood you have $31M that comes off the books...in addition to Rhodes money and Reiff's, and probably Rudy's. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I am going to take exception to the harping (not just you Jimmy, they were on and on about it last night) about his injury history.  He blew out his ACL in the middle of year 1.  Last year was about recovery.  Recovering from a knee injury, it is common to have other leg issues and for Dalvin it was hammies.  Early in the year as I recall, it started less than a year out from his ACL.
That is one injury in my book.  Watching him, he doesn't take a ton of hits.  He is slippery, avoiding some, initiating others and often wisely stepping out of bounds at the end of a big run.
I hate to say anything and curse him (and me), but some of us like to profit off of that kind of foolishness :-)

In my auction draft, Gurley went for $64, Barkley for $66, Elliott for $67, David Johnson for $64. I got Cook for $46. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
and he came in with durability questions from his college days,  not that he missed a lot of games,  but was playing limited quite a bit.   I think the kid is tough as nails and to date has me wanting to watch him run for ever... but I was pretty damn high on AD 10 years ago as well and the wheels came off that wagon faster than any of us could have imagined  ( not all injury or on field realted issues  )  i just subscribe to the theory that as fun as DC is to watch,  we could get near similar results with a better OL and keep RBs on rookie deals,  and the OL would improve more than just the running game.   although I would love to see DC have some monster games and take records away from AD,  he just seems like a kid that deserves to have his name on shit like that.  somebody that you want around your franchise for a long time.

Right now you back up the brinks for Dalvin because he's the best RB in league and and our best player. 

@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
and he came in with durability questions from his college days,  not that he missed a lot of games,  but was playing limited quite a bit.   I think the kid is tough as nails and to date has me wanting to watch him run for ever... but I was pretty damn high on AD 10 years ago as well and the wheels came off that wagon faster than any of us could have imagined  ( not all injury or on field realted issues  )  i just subscribe to the theory that as fun as DC is to watch,  we could get near similar results with a better OL and keep RBs on rookie deals,  and the OL would improve more than just the running game.   although I would love to see DC have some monster games and take records away from AD,  he just seems like a kid that deserves to have his name on shit like that.  somebody that you want around your franchise for a long time.
It was mostly tweaked ankles in college. Or a stinger. He'd miss a series or two in virtually every game but would be there carrying the team on his back in the 4th Quarter like clockwork. 

I'd say he's found something at this level, cuz while he sure has had a huge injury, he's pretty much avoided the in-game nagging stuff that plagued him in college.