Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reality Bites
Quote: @Norse said:
Zimmer got out coached today.
this is getting to be a common recurrence.

Hard to argue FSU, until they prove otherwise...No real strong rationale to bet on em outside of some really good players here and there. 

not sure what RS/Wilf's do with a 9 or 10 win 1 and done season. 

I believe Zimm and RS are under contract through 2020?

Easy enough to move on if they want to. 

Seems like pretty dire talk at 6/3 - now that I've type this. 

Utterly deflating.
Same as last year: We beat bad teams, and we lose to good teams.
Very few positives to take from this game for me, which is the most frustrating part. I'll probably have more to say but right now I'm just bummed. Beat Dallas.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Hard to argue FSU, until they prove otherwise...No real strong rationale to bet on em outside of some really good players here and there. 

not sure what RS/Wilf's do with a 9 or 10 win 1 and done season. 

I believe Zimm and RS are under contract through 2020?

Easy enough to move on if they want to. 

Seems like pretty dire talk at 6/3 - now that I've type this. 
Zim and Rick arent going anywhere. If we make it as a wildcard and do infact one and done theyll still be back. 

Put me in the "meh" camp.  I think we're playoffs caliber but not serious contenders.  I think you could look at every part of the team this game and think they had a not horrible game, but no one stepped up to get us the win.  If Cousins was just slightly better, we get a win.  If the defense was slightly better we get a win.  If the OLine was slightly better we get the win.
Mostly I think this game was on the offense.  We should have been dominating their defense and it was to be expected that the Chiefs offense would pose our defense problems.  I think the Chiefs showed everyone the recipe for stopping our offense, which I don't think was a big secret.  Stack the box, take away the run, take away the bootlegs and rollouts, and make Cousins and the OLine beat the defense from a traditional pocket.  If Cousins is on, we'll beat them deep.  If Cousins is errant, we'll struggle.  I do think we need some schematic wrinkles to deal with this style of defense, to scheme receivers open.  I think if we figure this out, we'll be much better prepared to take on the better teams in the league.

Quote: @medaille said:
Put me in the "meh" camp.  I think we're playoffs caliber but not serious contenders.  I think you could look at every part of the team this game and think they had a not horrible game, but no one stepped up to get us the win.  If Cousins was just slightly better, we get a win.  If the defense was slightly better we get a win.  If the OLine was slightly better we get the win.
Mostly I think this game was on the offense.  We should have been dominating their defense and it was to be expected that the Chiefs offense would pose our defense problems.  I think the Chiefs showed everyone the recipe for stopping our offense, which I don't think was a big secret.  Stack the box, take away the run, take away the bootlegs and rollouts, and make Cousins and the OLine beat the defense from a traditional pocket.  If Cousins is on, we'll beat them deep.  If Cousins is errant, we'll struggle.  I do think we need some schematic wrinkles to deal with this style of defense, to scheme receivers open.  I think if we figure this out, we'll be much better prepared to take on the better teams in the league.
That's just it. If you scheme to stop the run and force Cousins to beat you, then he has to beat you. He was off yesterday. Not sure if it was the wind or what, but some of his passes were just terrible. 

Yeah Cousins is what he is, has stepped it up a bit this year but we along with the guys who signed him know what the formula is supposed to be.  Get 21 or more and let the D do the rest.  Only the D is no longer functioning at that elite level.   Yes we left points out there but 23 should have been enough if the D did its job.

We pissed away the first half by not sticking to what got us 6 wins.  Several three and outs, penalties, and Cook & Mattison were almost afterthoughts.  To the Chiefs credit, their defensive line play was better than they've shown all year.  But it's embarrassing when your guard...Elflein of course...looks like he's on roller-skates and actually sacks his own QB.

The only bright note was seeing Treadwell actually catch passes. 

Quote: @KingBash said:
@StickyBun said:
Don't blame this on Cousins, he's not the reason they lost. Wasn't his best game but he threw for 3 TDs and zero interceptions.

This is all on the coaching staff and D.....and the offensive line.
As much as I bitch about him, and want better for 84$ million... he played pretty well. Oddly enough, in a 3 TD no pick game, I still wasn't impressed with him.

But it wasn't on him alone. The whole team didn't have it today. We were off. We weren't horrible, but just not all there. KC played pretty well. I don't hate this loss.
I'm with you on the KB.  KC made big plays and the Vikes seemed to scratch and claw for every inch of turf gained.  Moore could lob up a throw with all kinds hands in his face or while getting shoved, and Hill comes down with it.  KC has a 91 yard run (longest in KC history, btw), and the kicker hits a 54 yarder (longest of the year also).  The Vikes didn't have it yesterday, and KC did; even without Mahomes.
 We can't have KC going back to missing open receivers downfield like he did with Diggs and expect to win. 
Unfortunately, I think the Dallas game will be even tougher.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@KingBash said:
@StickyBun said:
Don't blame this on Cousins, he's not the reason they lost. Wasn't his best game but he threw for 3 TDs and zero interceptions.

This is all on the coaching staff and D.....and the offensive line.
As much as I bitch about him, and want better for 84$ million... he played pretty well. Oddly enough, in a 3 TD no pick game, I still wasn't impressed with him.

But it wasn't on him alone. The whole team didn't have it today. We were off. We weren't horrible, but just not all there. KC played pretty well. I don't hate this loss.
I'm with you on the KB.  KC made big plays and the Vikes seemed to scratch and claw for every inch of turf gained.  Moore could lob up a throw with all kinds hands in his face or while getting shoved, and Hill comes down with it.  KC has a 91 yard run (longest in KC history, btw), and the kicker hits a 54 yarder (longest of the year also).  The Vikes didn't have it yesterday, and KC did; even without Mahomes.
 We can't have KC going back to missing open receivers downfield like he did with Diggs and expect to win. 
Unfortunately, I think the Dallas game will be even tougher.
After next week, we'll be 6-4 I believe and from then on we don't have anymore room to give.

Record aside, I think the biggest problem is that Zimmer's D is now just better than average. They can whoop bad teams, but they just don't have the ability to put games away anymore. Our CBs are extremely suspect, and as I said above, I think teams have figured out our scheme.