Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So if you're Mike, what tweaks do you make @ 6/2???
I agree with Wetlander.

Reduce Cooks touches. He didn't need to be in the game on the final drive.  The last thing a defense wants to see with 9 minutes to go in the 4th is a fresh, charged up , north/south runner that is looking for contact.  I hadn't seen Mattison play like that as a Viking. There have been glimpses for sure.  The Redskins were probably gassed but Mattison wasn't and it   showed. 

Just like @ Detroit in the 4th quarter  last weekend the Vikings executed somethings on offense fans haven't seen.   Last night was a different version with 14? straight runs to ice the game. Not sure I have ever seen that.

Zim has Rhodes, Waynes, Alexader, Hughes and now Hill if any of them are playing poorly or not following  instruction than they need to sit down. That's why they drafted Hughes. It's the advantage of having 5 CB's that can cover and aren't scrubs.  I wanna see if Zim has the balls to sit  players that aren't getting it done.  A timeout for XR might be the best thing for him in the long run?

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Dont want to toss the baby out with the bath-water. Gotta be careful

Do you really move XR down the depth chart?
Blitz More? Blitz Differently?
Do you believe in Dozier more than Elf? 
Does RS make a trade for OL help or depth?
Play less Zone?
I don't know if there is a possible OL trade that would make sense midseason, unless it's still possible to get Trent Williams. I entertained a fantasy that the teams might have already agreed to a deal but that Washington would not enact it until after last night's game...but it's just as likely Dan Snyder is being bullheaded and will make Williams sit out the season. Williams at LT could let us try Reiff at LG - because it sure seems like Elflein needs to sit. Can Dozier take over at LG? Maybe time to try Dru Samia - he's supposedly a project who won't be ready until next year, but that's what was said about O'Neill in 2018.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
The biggest tweaks I would make at this point...

1) Start reducing Dalvin's touches...  he's currently on pace for 370 this season (312 rushing attempts and 58 receptions).  That's a lot of hits and the Vikings need to think about the additional hits he'll take if they make the playoffs.  Mattison has looked really good in just about every game this season.  I hate taking Dalvin off the field, but we need to save him a bit.  I don't know why we had him in at all late in the 4th quarter on that 8 minute drive to end the game.

2) Blitz Anthony Barr more...  when he is rushing the passer, he makes plays.  I think we are continually under-utilizing his best trait.  That sack last night was perfect, he got there in a hurry.

3) Play more man coverage...  Rhodes clearly isn't as comfortable playing in a zone when he can't get his hands on guys right away.  He tends to get grabby further down the field and he isn't playing well.  Some of that is on Rhodes, but Zimmer needs to take the next 10 days and use it like a bye week...  make some tweaks to the defense for the 2nd half of the season.  We have 3 more games to evaluate any tweaks before our actual bye week.  Get an early start on it because the defense the past two weeks has struggled defending the pass and getting off the field on 3rd down.
Only thing I have to add to this, the line isn't getting pressure to allow Rhodes his bumpy/sticky style. That's the only reason they're playing him so soft as that's not his natural position. The line *isn't* getting those quick pressures, so yes, blitzing Barr more will cause more of that havoc and if not doing so, let Rhodes play pressure coverage instead of trying to react to under-routes.

So you know that Cousins actually is like near the top of time to throw, right? The line is giving him time.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
1. Get Irv Smith the ball. I realize Rudy has been a war horse for this team but that horse ain't galloping as fast as he used to. Especially on these TE screens we're running, those should be going to #84. Btw... how is #84 not retired for the Vikings yet?
2. More Mattison when we're up 7+.
3. Be more aggressive on D. We've allowed too many long, clock-consuming drives for my liking. Hate to give up the huge plays but giving up a 7-minute long drive that ends in a TD anyways is worse.

4. Retire #84! :p
#84 is already in the ring of honor.  Vikes don't retire #s anymore

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
So you know that Cousins actually is like near the top of time to throw, right? The line is giving him time.
The line is definitely part of it, but holy hell   defenses are biting on the play-action. 

Zimmer needs to hire a defensive guru

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
The line is definitely part of it, but holy hell   defenses are biting on the play-action. 
Because first job is to stop the run.  And why Zimmer is so adamant about being able to run the ball

Well I am Mike and I will say this. Something needs to happen where the defense doesn't take a half to make an adjustment. We need to set the tone early in the game defensively.