Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins has regressed?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
He is who we thought he might be: a player who wilts under pressure. And by "pressure" I mean that in every sense of the word. He'll have some really good games coming up (because that's who he is, too), but we can't count on him.
honestly,  the tickets are sold for this year,  they need to start looking at the future and give the fans a reason for optimism next year,  right now I am seeing a team with enough talent to maybe back into the playoffs and maybe win a wild card game... but thats it,  and I dont see that as a step towards a more promising future,  rather a step towards not making the playoffs next year and being worse the following.

every franchise has to hit the reset button at some point,  yes we are a talented roster right now,  but its unrealized talent and with the way it looks right now.. its not coming to reality any time soon.  while I dont think Reiff is a big problem...  if they could get Trent Williams... maybe its something to look at ( I am not sure how much i give up for a 31 year old player though) ... how would Brandon Sherff fit in this system?  Word was he was interested in coming back to the midwest in FA next year with KC and Minny being his desired targets.  Make it happen now and lets start on next year... next week.
I see a more talented team than that. Don't forget this is the team that dominated the Falcons, Raiders and Packers (for 3 quarters). We'll see that team again if they can keep their heads. That's my biggest fear. A loss like this has a corrosive power. 

Too early to think about off season, because this is still a playoff team, but assuming we don't go far in the playoffs and the reason for that is clearly Cousins, gun to my head, I say keep the team together (except Reiff and Waynes), bring in Scherff, draft a QB and a left tackle. 

I just can't see letting the current GM select a QB in the draft - he has not been successful doing so. And I can't see Zimmer grooming a young QB, or selecting an OC to do so.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
He is who we thought he might be: a player who wilts under pressure. And by "pressure" I mean that in every sense of the word. He'll have some really good games coming up (because that's who he is, too), but we can't count on him.
honestly,  the tickets are sold for this year,  they need to start looking at the future and give the fans a reason for optimism next year,  right now I am seeing a team with enough talent to maybe back into the playoffs and maybe win a wild card game... but thats it,  and I dont see that as a step towards a more promising future,  rather a step towards not making the playoffs next year and being worse the following.

every franchise has to hit the reset button at some point,  yes we are a talented roster right now,  but its unrealized talent and with the way it looks right now.. its not coming to reality any time soon.  while I dont think Reiff is a big problem...  if they could get Trent Williams... maybe its something to look at ( I am not sure how much i give up for a 31 year old player though) ... how would Brandon Sherff fit in this system?  Word was he was interested in coming back to the midwest in FA next year with KC and Minny being his desired targets.  Make it happen now and lets start on next year... next week.
I see a more talented team than that. Don't forget this is the team that dominated the Falcons, Raiders and Packers (for 3 quarters). We'll see that team again if they can keep their heads. That's my biggest fear. A loss like this has a corrosive power. 

Too early to think about off season, because this is still a playoff team, but assuming we don't go far in the playoffs and the reason for that is clearly Cousins, gun to my head, I say keep the team together (except Reiff and Waynes), bring in Scherff, draft a QB and a left tackle. 

are the playoffs really enough though?  i know the whole get there and its a new season mantra,  but the bears just showed us how far from being a contender we really are, 

I think you're overreacting. I don't think the Bears showed us anything other than THEY clearly have our number. Three of the four worst games we've played in the last couple years were against the Bears (Bills being the other). I don't know why that is; it just is. It doesn't show us "who we are" any more than our performance against the Falcons showed us who we are. The Bears came within a missed PAT of going to the NFCC last year. And yet they lost to the Dolphins and the Giants a few weeks earlier. Did those teams show Chicago who they were? 

All I know is this team has far too much talent to not contend. Maybe it takes benching Cousins. I have no confidence that Mannion would be better than Cousins for most games, but I think he might in one or two. I'm fairly confident he would've done better yesterday. A bowl of tapioca could've played better than Cousins did yesterday. 

Either way, it's a long season. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

I just can't see letting the current GM select a QB in the draft - he has not been successful doing so. And I can't see Zimmer grooming a young QB, or selecting an OC to do so.
this is where I am at.. get the GM search going now,  or if they want Patton,  hand him the reigns today.  I am sick of this always good enough,(for the people who make the decisions not to lose their jobs)  but never not quite good enough (for the fans to get their moneys worth) shit.  

I don't know if Cousins has regressed or if he's still the same but it's pretty clear that whoever is in charge in Minnesota (it's been a revolving door on the offensive side), they aren't developing QBs very well.

As far as "blowing the thing up"... 100% NO!
A good QB could take this team, even with a bad o-line, to the Super Bowl. Look at the NY Giants. They put Daniel Jones in instead of Eli and they're a completely different team now. By swapping out one player (And they lost Barkley!).
Carolina is 2-0 with Kyle Allen, instead of an injured Cam Newton.

Gardner Minshew in Jacksonville!
None of these 3 teams are likely going to the Super Bowl but I'm just illustrating how you can swap one player and your entire fortunes can change.

We don't need a big roster churn, we need a good quarterback.

This team is on it's 4th OC and system in 4 years.Last year, with Cook out 6 of the first 8 weeks, the offense was still very productive and Thielen was setting records.But noooo, Zimmer wanted to run the dinosaur offense.So they fire JDF, who is now helping Minshew in Jacksonville, and promote Stefanski who has to be a "yes" man.
Is it any wonder the skill players are upset?They are just high paid decoys.Cousins has thrown 99 passes in 4 games and people complain if he misses a deep one that has a 50% or less chance of success.
The Vikings should use Cook like the Steelers used Bell and throw him more passes.They should never have him in to block because he is terrible at pass pro.He got blasted on the one play where Kirk fumbled.  That still is on Kirk but very very few posters mention Cook's whiff.
Maybe Cousins is not the answer?  OK.
But changing the OC and system every year is worse.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
I don't know if Cousins has regressed or if he's still the same but it's pretty clear that whoever is in charge in Minnesota (it's been a revolving door on the offensive side), they aren't developing QBs very well.

A good QB could take this team, even with a bad o-line, to the Super Bowl. Look at the NY Giants. They put Daniel Jones in instead of Eli and they're a completely different team now. By swapping out one player (And they lost Barkley!).

None of these 3 teams are likely going to the Super Bowl but I'm just illustrating how you can swap one player and your entire fortunes can change.

that QB isnt going to live long if they dont fix the OL,  something that was ignored for far to long.  I still dont know that we are ok on the interior OL despite using a 1st and 3rd round pick in consecutive years to upgrade 2 of the 3 spots.  They are still horribly weak up the middle.

O-line is a separate issue, separate topic.

When Cousins had a clean pocket, clear view, he overshot Thielen.  I can think of other plays where the pocket was clean and he ran out of it.  

For $84 million, when you have a clean pocket and a guy open, those are the throws I expect him to hit.

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
O-line is a separate issue, separate topic.

When Cousins had a clean pocket, clear view, he overshot Thielen.  I can think of other plays where the pocket was clean and he ran out of it.  

For $84 million, when you have a clean pocket and a guy open, those are the throws I expect him to hit.
I dont think so,  a shit OL creates shit QB play.  just because the beatings are constant doenst mean they dont have a negative affect on nearly every play.  That OL needs to improve by a long ways before KC should be expected to be comfortable in any pocket they create.

Quote: @pattersaur said:

Sure - IN THEORY. If a great QB could step into this team next year, they could improve.
But wasn't that the idea of acquiring Kirk Cousins? Wasn't it the idea of acquiring Sam Bradford?
Other teams don't give up good QBs very often. Who do you think can step in? Sean Mannion? Maybe Eli Manning???
Our GM has tried to pick up a veteran QB, twice - more if you count Ponder, Bridgewater, Cassel, McNabb, TJack...
Time to draft a QB, and that means we use up another year or two of a roster that's aging.
Since Spielman isn't good at picking QBs, we need to move on from him.

... could we trade Cousins straight up with Denver for Joe Flacco?  Confused