Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I guess Mannion has unlimited license
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Skodin" said:
Sloter was brought into to Denver by Klint Kubiak, I would imagine they too see the ability in the kid. 

If he goes, its because of Zim. He probably doesnt see value in a guy they can not trust (bad practice). Its a shame bc the last time we had a non prototypical QB we went to the championship game
And the reason we lost it.
I dont know that we can put the eagles loss on Keenum.  He wasnt a guy I wanted to extend long term,  and he certainly had a few shit plays in that game,  but IMO the OL and the defensive let downs would be bigger issues than Keenum.

besides... you cant win it if you arent there,  and a gun slinger type QB is pretty much how weve gotten there over the history of the franchise.
The pick 6 swung the momentum.  We were up 7-0, had them on a 3 and out.  Next possession was pick 6.  

The eagles then got aggressive with the crowd behind them.  Deflated our team and gave them new life.
Yes our defensive plan was then flawed as the eagles got aggressive and used double moves.  And our offensive line was beaten with the crowd noise and the eagles D smelling blood.

Guys like Sloter make teams with bad or average O-lines look better with his ability to move and roll out. Until the O-line looks like something an NFL would employ guys with his escapability will always look better. There's really no mystery why Case won here. The mystery to me is why Zimmer doesn't understand why it works.
Sloter > Mannion if this team needs a spark plug.
Mannion > Siemian 
So that's an improvement I guess. 

I think the coaches know best in this situation honestly. You can see now that Sloter had a real uphill battle not playing college QB his whole collegiate career and then the curve for the NFL. There's only so much ground he can make up. There's obvious value for a guy like Mannion for the staff above Sloter. It is what it is.

p.s. an interesting dude is the Saint's Taysom Hill. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I think the coaches know best in this situation honestly. You can see now that Sloter had a real uphill battle not playing college QB his whole collegiate career and then the curve for the NFL. There's only so much ground he can make up. There's obvious value for a guy like Mannion for the staff above Sloter. It is what it is.

I think all they want out of a backup QB here is someone with NFL experience who can look at that tablet with Kirk on the bench between series and give a some what educated opinion. That's the value of Mannion in my uneducated opinion.
Sloter is a raw gamer that's fun to watch. I hope they carry 3 QB's and Sloter is one.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Skodin" said:
Sloter was brought into to Denver by Klint Kubiak, I would imagine they too see the ability in the kid. 

If he goes, its because of Zim. He probably doesnt see value in a guy they can not trust (bad practice). Its a shame bc the last time we had a non prototypical QB we went to the championship game
I dont know that we can put the eagles loss on Keenum.  He wasnt a guy I wanted to extend long term,  and he certainly had a few shit plays in that game,  but IMO the OL and the defensive let downs would be bigger issues than Keenum.

besides... you cant win it if you arent there,  and a gun slinger type QB is pretty much how weve gotten there over the history of the franchise.
The pick 6 swung the momentum.  We were up 7-0, had them on a 3 and out.  Next possession was pick 6.  

The eagles then got aggressive with the crowd behind them.  Deflated our team and gave them new life.
Yes our defensive plan was then flawed as the eagles got aggressive and used double moves.  And our offensive line was beaten with the crowd noise and the eagles D smelling blood.
The pick 6 was caused by Keenum getting hit while throwing.  The O line and D were complete garbage that game.  In no way can you say Keenum was the main reason we lost that game.

But I agree with the OP, what more can Sloter possibly do to get moved up? His stats in every game he’s played in are through the fricking roof. The Vikings are going to F around with him and we are going to lose him to free agency without ever truly seeing what we have just so that we can protect our .500 QB and his record salary.

The Vikings have never planned for the QB position in any sort of long-term fashion and it will serve them right to lose Sloter and have him sign somewhere else and succeed.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:

No we cant see....because they wont elevate him.  What we see is a kid kicking ass and the guy above him not earning the spot that was handed to him.

Zimmer has shown questionable judgement in the past with players,  why cant this be questioned as another one of those instances?

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

I think all they want out of a backup QB here is someone with NFL experience who can look at that tablet with Kirk on the bench between series and give a some what educated opinion. That's the value of Mannion in my uneducated opinion.
Sloter is a raw gamer that's fun to watch. I hope they carry 3 QB's and Sloter is one.

To borrow from Wetlander - "boom"

You need to think of the QB room back @ Eagan too...You'd have KC, Sloter and Browning if they let Mannion go.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

No we cant see....because they wont elevate him.  What we see is a kid kicking ass and the guy above him not earning the spot that was handed to him.

Zimmer has shown questionable judgement in the past with players,  why cant this be questioned as another one of those instances?
He's 'kicking ass' against 3rd string players. This is why fans aren't GMs. 

But having said that, would I like to see him with the #2s? Yep, sure would.

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Skodin" said:

The pick 6 was caused by Keenum getting hit while throwing.  The O line and D were complete garbage that game.  In no way can you say Keenum was the main reason we lost that game.
I can and did.  But partially in response to the insinuation that Keenum took us to the NFCCG.  He was fun to watch, but also a major headache.  Some of his throws cost us games that year which could have meant a home game instead of in Philly.  It could have meant NO didn't get a chance to climb back into the game and the need for a miracle.
I liked Keenum, but he is what he is, a backup that had a magical year, but ultimately didn't have the game to take us to the superbowl.