Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I guess Mannion has unlimited license
To F up every single game and never worry about Sloter getting a chance at #2 QB.

Mannion must have photos of Zim doing something extracurricular with one of his horses.

Mannion looked pretty good. I heard the P6 was a miscommunication between him and Beebe...not sure who was at fault though. 

But damn, Sloter was sharp again. So quick on the roll out. Poised in the pocket. Accurate. Those dig routes to Treadwell were beautiful. The TD to Zylstra is a pass not many can make. And he would've had another TD if it weren't for the DPI on Treadwell's go. How many times does he have to do this before the coaching staff gets a little curious to see if this kid might just be a gamer. There have been a few in the NFL. 

The only real difference I see between Mannion and Sloter is that Sloter looks to be able to handle the pressure from the defensive pass rush just a tad better than Mannion can...IMO

I think we have a conservative coach who is (probably appropriately) weighing how these guys perform in practice as much as in a pre-season scrimmage. Sounds like thats where Mannion has had the edge.

For whatever reason, I don't think Zimmer is comfortable handing the seasons fortunes to Sloter right now if bad stuff happens to the starter.  

All that said, I'd like to see Sloter get a chance with the 2's next week...

Did Browning even play??? Wonder if they'll try and slip him to the PS?

Let's say there's a 10% chance that Sloter could turn into a starting QB, maybe like Kurt Warner as some have suggested, to take over after Cousins...AND there is a 10% chance that Mannion helps Cousins play better for the Vikings, as NFLDraftGuru has suggested. Which would you give more playing time?
I would favor Sloter, because I'm a fan of the team and will be for the rest of my life, hopefully after however long Kirk Cousins stays, and a lot of people on this board probably would as well.
But will Rick Spielman be a lifelong Vikings fan - if, say, two years from now he is the Assistant Director of Player Personnel for the Chargers?? No, so how would he answer that question?
Hey, Spielman is not a terrible GM and he isn't the antichrist. He has brought good talent and coaching here...BUT...he hasn't been able to find a winning QB. He's got big "F" grades for Ponder and Bradford, and the Wilfs probably give him an "Incomplete" for Bridgewater (though neither his 14-TD season or anything he has done since leaving Minnesota suggest that Spielman had found a HOFer and lost him to injury). Then there's TJack and McNabb, and Spielman might say they were picked by then-coaches Childress and Frazier - but he takes credit for drafting Adrian Peterson while Childress was coach, so...no blame taken?
Point is, the Wilfs seem to like Spielman and Zimmer but they have to have a GM and coach who can pick/develop a QB or the team is incomplete. At QB selection, Spielman is at best 0-2 with 3 "not my fault" failures. They let him drop a 13-win QB to sign Cousins to a rich guaranteed contract. Do you think they keep him around if Cousins is so bad he needs to be replaced by Sloter a year from now or sooner? And do you think Zimmer wants to bet on being retained by Spielman's replacement?
So if you're Spielman and Zimmer and your job and career are 100% dependent on Kirk Cousins getting the Vikings to a Super Bowl in the next two years, and you have the same options - Mannion having a 10% chance of improving Cousins vs. Sloter having a 10% chance of being a starting QB for whoever takes your job - how would you answer? Mannion, even if his odds are lower and Sloter's are higher.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Mannion looked pretty good. I heard the P6 was a miscommunication between him and Beebe...not sure who was at fault though. 

But damn, Sloter was sharp again. So quick on the roll out. Poised in the pocket. Accurate. Those dig routes to Treadwell were beautiful. The TD to Zylstra is a pass not many can make. And he would've had another TD if it weren't for the DPI on Treadwell's go. How many times does he have to do this before the coaching staff gets a little curious to see if this kid might just be a gamer. There have been a few in the NFL. 
That was my first reaction as well.  That is a hell of a throw.  Doesn't look that hard when he does it, but dayum!

Id love to see Sloter come in as QB2 for these final couple preseason games.  Not sure how the gameplan/playcalls change in preseason from QB1 to QB2 to QB3, but i imagine it does and would like to see how Sloter handles the extra pressure. If hes going to be QB2 lets see him put those shoes on.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
Id love to see Sloter come in as QB2 for these final couple preseason games.  Not sure how the gameplan/playcalls change in preseason from QB1 to QB2 to QB3, but i imagine it does and would like to see how Sloter handles the extra pressure. If hes going to be QB2 lets see him put those shoes on.
I'd love to see it. There is no way you can release a guy like this, and so you either keep three or you trade him. At worst, putting him in with the 2s will give you a chance to showcase him. What have got to lose? You either END the bubbling QB controversy (a good thing) or you put his trade value on a rocketship (a good thing). 

I am thinking they must really really love Browning if they havent let him take a snap yet.  or they simply want Sloter to get all the TV time to drive up his value knowing that they are going to have to keep Browning on the 53?

this whole thing is a bit of a head scratcher.