Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$34mm for Dak?
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I been saying it for a couple years now and still think teams have to hit reset pretty soon on these escalating QB salaries,  somebody has to pull their heads out and realize that the QB is maybe the most important part of the team,  but if you cant put quality around them then they are a waste of cap space.  I think we will see an increase in the value of QBs in the draft as teams try even harder to keep their cupboards full of cheap talented signal callers in order to avoid having to pay these ridiculous contracts to a proven one. 
People have been saying that for 30 years. It should be impossible to pay a QB $84M in guaranteed money and still have quality around him. But, hey, Harrison Smith, Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, Kendricks, Barr, Rhodes, Waynes, Reiff, Joseph, and Danielle Hunter aren't complaining much about their salaries...

You throw pots of money at a QB, everyone gasps and two years later it looks like chump change. 
To your point:

"For the sixth straight season, the NFL salary cap has increased by at least $10 million per team, jumping from $177.2 million in 2018 to $188.2 million in 2019, the league announced alongside the NFL Players Association on Friday.
An annual limit on player expenses for the NFL's 32 teams, the salary cap has risen ever since the implementation of a new collective bargaining agreement (CBA) in 2011, when it was set at $120 million. This year, it's increased by $11 million, meaning every team will have an additional $11 million to allocate toward player contracts.
The largest increase came between the 2016 and 2017 seasons, when the cap jumped by almost $12 million. First introduced at $34.6 million in 1994, it's the highest it's ever been entering 2019, as the NFL projected earlier this offseason."
Fans get anxious, but the cap just keeps going up. 

So you're saying the salary cap is really the QB salary cap?

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"pumpf" said:
At some point the consumers won't be able to pay the rising costs.  I have no idea when that point will be.
Haven't folks been saying that for decades, too? I'm actually surprised at how willing people are to pay more (A LOT MORE) for certain things. They wait in a 20-car line to pay $6 for a cup of coffee that should cost 60 cents. They'll pay twice for a burger to have it delivered by Grubhub. Broncos have sold out every game since 1970, despite the fact that ticket prices have gone up well over 1,000%. I don't see that stopping any time soon. And until it does, the money paid to QBs will just continue to go up in ratio with the salary cap. 
but is it?   are the QBs getting the same percentage of the cap as they were 10 years ago?   seems that QB contracts are outpacing some of the other positions in terms of % of growth in relation to the cap.   QB contracts have gone up about 30% in the last few years,  are other positions following suit?

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I been saying it for a couple years now and still think teams have to hit reset pretty soon on these escalating QB salaries,  somebody has to pull their heads out and realize that the QB is maybe the most important part of the team,  but if you cant put quality around them then they are a waste of cap space.  I think we will see an increase in the value of QBs in the draft as teams try even harder to keep their cupboards full of cheap talented signal callers in order to avoid having to pay these ridiculous contracts to a proven one. 
People have been saying that for 30 years. It should be impossible to pay a QB $84M in guaranteed money and still have quality around him. But, hey, Harrison Smith, Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, Kendricks, Barr, Rhodes, Waynes, Reiff, Joseph, and Danielle Hunter aren't complaining much about their salaries...

You throw pots of money at a QB, everyone gasps and two years later it looks like chump change. 
Chump change? I understand the chump part in this. Many folks on most days can't make change for a twenty let along a million. They've priced many right out of the stadiums paying for their fool's notions. Very few. QBs are worth more then $24 million a year. Yet that has suddenly become an insult to a guy who averages 3500 yards and 22 TD's a year. It's crazy, not the new norm.
They are worth whatever they get.  Obviously teams are not feeling the angst you are and owners are making more money than ever.

Quote: @"Purplewhizz" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Chump change? I understand the chump part in this. Many folks on most days can't make change for a twenty let along a million. They've priced many right out of the stadiums paying for their fool's notions. Very few. QBs are worth more then $24 million a year. Yet that has suddenly become an insult to a guy who averages 3500 yards and 22 TD's a year. It's crazy, not the new norm.
They are worth whatever they get.  Obviously teams are not feeling the angst you are and owners are making more money than ever.
They get what they're paid I understand that. Good for them. Worth however is always subjective. It is controlled by bubbles.  I try not to view worth by how much something is going for now. More what's it worth to me.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"pumpf" said:
At some point the consumers won't be able to pay the rising costs.  I have no idea when that point will be.
Haven't folks been saying that for decades, too? I'm actually surprised at how willing people are to pay more (A LOT MORE) for certain things. They wait in a 20-car line to pay $6 for a cup of coffee that should cost 60 cents. They'll pay twice for a burger to have it delivered by Grubhub. Broncos have sold out every game since 1970, despite the fact that ticket prices have gone up well over 1,000%. I don't see that stopping any time soon. And until it does, the money paid to QBs will just continue to go up in ratio with the salary cap. 
but is it?   are the QBs getting the same percentage of the cap as they were 10 years ago?   seems that QB contracts are outpacing some of the other positions in terms of % of growth in relation to the cap.   QB contracts have gone up about 30% in the last few years,  are other positions following suit?
That is the question, isn't it? I don't know the answer to that but I suspect that other positions are keeping pace. Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald, for example, get paid more than all but 3 QBs. 

Quote: @"Purplewhizz" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

That always seem to get lost in the talk about salaries. The owners are making a killing, the cap keeps going up and teams are required by rule to use a certain percentage of cap on salaries. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

That always seem to get lost in the talk about salaries. The owners are making a killing, the cap keeps going up and teams are required by rule to use a certain percentage of cap on salaries. 
Yes cap goes up more then double % yearly what the average consumer wages and the economy does. They think they can grow faster then the public and the economy in general? That's my meaning of the term bubble. My pessimism tells me the future holds games of 10, 000 live weathly and publicly conservative fans golf clapping in the stadiums. That will make our pay per view home package only enjoyable thanks to the Dolby piped in crowd noise.
CGI created atmosphere.