Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$34mm for Dak?
Jones told Michael Irvin on The Rich Eisen Show that he was "sold" on the 25-year-old signal-caller, and Jones said earlier this offseason that he'd pick Prescott over any quarterback in the 2019 draft. 
But because of the "next man up" dynamics associated with quarterback contracts of late, Prescott is likely to command an astronomically valuable deal when or before his rookie contract expires in 2020. 
In fact, Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported last week that Prescott's agent, Todd France, has "broached a deal in the range of $34 million annually."
In terms of average salary, that'd make Prescott one of the three or four highest-paid players in NFL history. But there are plenty of reasons to wonder if he's worth that to a team that will soon also have to make decisions on key players Ezekiel Elliott, Amari Cooper, Jaylon Smith and Byron Jones, and is already on the hook for Demarcus Lawrence ($21 million per year), Zack Martin ($14 million), Tyron Smith ($12.2 million) and Travis Frederick ($9.4 million). 
The latter three names on that list are blue-chip offensive linemen, and the two offensive players who will soon be looking for new deals are Prescott's top two weapons. And their presence as Prescott's supporting cast is precisely why it's fair to wonder just how good the 2016 fourth-round pick really is. 
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841...ce=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

The question—particularly as Frederick returns to health after missing a season with Guillain-Barre syndrome—is whether any decent young quarterback can experience success in the Dallas offense. And if Prescott is only decent, might the Cowboys be better off pursuing someone who could be more than decent at a lower cost?
Prescott was a fourth-round pick for a reason. And while he's overcome predraft concerns about his footwork, his accuracy and his overall technique, he's also made a living playing it safe as a passer. He's thrown just 25 interceptions in 48 career regular-season starts, but he hasn't topped the 23 touchdown passes he tossed as a rookie. 
In taking a stance in favor of a blockbuster new deal for Prescott, Pro Football Focus contributor and former NFL quarterback Bruce Gradkowski made one particular point in a video Friday that could actually work against Dak. 
"Dak Prescott just has to do his job," Gradkowski said, "distribute the football to those weapons around you, hand it off to that beast behind you [and] let that running game get going."
Is a player in that role worth nearly 20 percent of your team's payroll? 

That's at least $10 million above his worth.  I don't see blue-chip QB qualities in him.  He may become genuinely good, but he's more a product of an improving group than a standout player.

I been saying it for a couple years now and still think teams have to hit reset pretty soon on these escalating QB salaries,  somebody has to pull their heads out and realize that the QB is maybe the most important part of the team,  but if you cant put quality around them then they are a waste of cap space.  I think we will see an increase in the value of QBs in the draft as teams try even harder to keep their cupboards full of cheap talented signal callers in order to avoid having to pay these ridiculous contracts to a proven one. 

HaHa...HaHa...Hee...Hee...
oh wait you were serious?

Pay the man. Lol. JK. No seriously not because I think he has earned it but fuck it I just want to see Dallas in cap hell.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I been saying it for a couple years now and still think teams have to hit reset pretty soon on these escalating QB salaries,  somebody has to pull their heads out and realize that the QB is maybe the most important part of the team,  but if you cant put quality around them then they are a waste of cap space.  I think we will see an increase in the value of QBs in the draft as teams try even harder to keep their cupboards full of cheap talented signal callers in order to avoid having to pay these ridiculous contracts to a proven one. 
People have been saying that for 30 years. It should be impossible to pay a QB $84M in guaranteed money and still have quality around him. But, hey, Harrison Smith, Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, Kendricks, Barr, Rhodes, Waynes, Reiff, Joseph, and Danielle Hunter aren't complaining much about their salaries...

You throw pots of money at a QB, everyone gasps and two years later it looks like chump change. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
People have been saying that for 30 years. It should be impossible to pay a QB $84M in guaranteed money and still have quality around him. But, hey, Harrison Smith, Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, Kendricks, Barr, Rhodes, Waynes, Reiff, Joseph, and Danielle Hunter aren't complaining much about their salaries...

You throw pots of money at a QB, everyone gasps and two years later it looks like chump change. 
but at some point the % going to the QBs begins to outpace the growth rate of the cap and it doesnt work.  as far as Waynes, Reiff, and Joseph,  lets see what they are saying at this time next year.  Anybody that was signed prior to Cousins doesnt really matter,  but they may become an issue depending on what the team does with Cousins after this season.

@"JimmyinSD" said:

To your point:

"For the sixth straight season, the NFL salary cap has increased by at least $10 million per team, jumping from $177.2 million in 2018 to $188.2 million in 2019, the league announced alongside the NFL Players Association on Friday.
An annual limit on player expenses for the NFL's 32 teams, the salary cap has risen ever since the implementation of a new collective bargaining agreement (CBA) in 2011, when it was set at $120 million. This year, it's increased by $11 million, meaning every team will have an additional $11 million to allocate toward player contracts.
The largest increase came between the 2016 and 2017 seasons, when the cap jumped by almost $12 million. First introduced at $34.6 million in 1994, it's the highest it's ever been entering 2019, as the NFL projected earlier this offseason."
Fans get anxious, but the cap just keeps going up. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:

Chump change? I understand the chump part in this. Many folks on most days can't make change for a twenty let along a million. They've priced many right out of the stadiums paying for their fool's notions. Very few. QBs are worth more then $24 million a year. Yet that has suddenly become an insult to a guy who averages 3500 yards and 22 TD's a year. It's crazy, not the new norm.