Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'd be pretty happy with this mock
Here's how i'd fix the offensive line.

I'd sign up for Hard Knocks.
I'd draft 8 consecutive offensive lineman.
I'd have Mike Zimmer like... vote one off of the show weekly, leading up to week 1 or something...

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
The only thing I don't like about it is the Tillery pick will undoubtedly kick either Jaleel or Jalyn of the roster (unless Jalyn gets kicked outside to DE).  That's kind of a waste of an early 4th rounder if you have to cut one after a season or two.
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
No real gripes with that draft at all. I'm not a huge fan of Tillery but think both Dillard and McGovern could be day one starters. I would probably wait on 3-tech and go with either Deebo or Parris Campbell. I would be very surprised if Campbell made it that far. 
Interesting points about the 3T. The way I see it, you either take a clear upgrade (either 1st or 2nd round) or maybe not one at all. With Stephen, Holmes and Johnson, depth isn't really the problem, and adding another middle-round talent to that mix doesn't really achieve anything. 
I would agree with that. 3T is a position where we either try to upgrade it early or make do with what we have. We have recently spent two 4th round picks on Johnson and Holmes and it would be nice to get some value out of those picks.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
No real gripes with that draft at all. I'm not a huge fan of Tillery but think both Dillard and McGovern could be day one starters. I would probably wait on 3-tech and go with either Deebo or Parris Campbell. I would be very surprised if Campbell made it that far. 
Me too. He's getting some 1st round buzz right now. I think Kubiak would love what he would add to the offense. We have the middle routes covered well. We could use a bubble screen talent underneath and someone to take the top off. Campbell could do both.

BIG fan of Deebo. He may not have the speed of Campbell, but I think he's nearly bust proof. Great feet. Quick, wiley route runner. A prize fighter off the line and at the top of his stem. Very high floor. 

Two middle round guys I like are Terry Mclaurin and Riley Ridley. We end up with one of those four I'll be ecstatic. 
I'm a big fan of Mclaurin, however his name seems to be getting a lot of buzz now that he's had a good senior bowl, combine, and pro day. The reason teams were able to take away Diggs/Thielen last year was because there were no other pieces that could stretch the field vertically and horizontally. If they don't take a TE early on a gadget player who can at least keep defenses honest is a must. 

Name I've really been high on is Mecole Hardman. He has the pedigree the Vikings look for and would also be a shoe-in kick and punt returner. 
Finding a player who can take advantage of teams trying to take away and Diggs and Thielen needs to be one of our top priorities in the draft. There are a couple good TEs who could help and also give us a cost controlled replacement for Rudolph in 2020 or taking a guy like Deebo Samuel in the 2nd seems really appealing. I also get a bit concerned about taking a DT early, just because it then pushes down other needs like OL, WR, & TE. DT is a definite need, but we at least have some sort of contingency plan there, which we don't at the other spots. That's where having no money on FA really hurts us, it leaves us with a lot of big needs going into the draft and not enough resources to adequately address them. I also worry that they'll burn a pick on a CB in the first 4 rounds, just since they seem to take on early every year and we can't afford it with the other needs.

Quote: @"Tyr" said:
 Finding a player who can take advantage of teams trying to take away and Diggs and Thielen needs to be one of our top priorities in the draft. There are a couple good TEs who could help and also give us a cost controlled replacement for Rudolph in 2020 or taking a guy like Deebo Samuel in the 2nd seems really appealing. I also get a bit concerned about taking a DT early, just because it then pushes down other needs like OL, WR, & TE. DT is a definite need, but we at least have some sort of contingency plan there, which we don't at the other spots. That's where having no money on FA really hurts us, it leaves us with a lot of big needs going into the draft and not enough resources to adequately address them. I also worry that they'll burn a pick on a CB in the first 4 rounds, just since they seem to take on early every year and we can't afford it with the other needs.
They won't take a corner that high unless they trade Waynes, but I think they will. Then the 4th round would be a pretty ideal place to get one, but then we should have an extra pick to use on one. I have a hunch the terms are already settled with two teams, most likely the Colts and the Chiefs. If the corners they're targeting don't fall to them by the time they pick in the 2nd round (Indy pick 59, Chiefs have picks 61 and 63), I think that will trigger the trade.

When it comes to the draft the Vikings are fairly predictable. I feel pretty confident that in the first four rounds the Vikings will draft IOL, OT, 3T and WR/TE. The only qualifier is that the 1st round pick will not be a WR.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Tyr" said:
They won't take a corner that high unless they trade Waynes, but I think they will. Then the 4th round would be a pretty ideal place to get one, but then we should have an extra pick to use on one. I have a hunch the terms are already settled with two teams, most likely the Colts and the Chiefs. If the corners they're targeting don't fall to them by the time they pick in the 2nd round (Indy pick 59, Chiefs have picks 61 and 63), I think that will trigger the trade.

When it comes to the draft the Vikings are fairly predictable. I feel pretty confident that in the first four rounds the Vikings will draft IOL, OT, 3T and WR/TE. The only qualifier is that the 1st round pick will not be a WR.
Even if they trade Waynes I don't know if they'd limit what they are looking for to purely a CB. A safety who could take snaps in the big nickel look could also warrant consideration. They like Harris but he's currently only signed through this season and Kearse is a UFA after 2019 as well. 

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Tyr" said:

Even if they trade Waynes I don't know if they'd limit what they are looking for to purely a CB. A safety who could take snaps in the big nickel look could also warrant consideration. They like Harris but he's currently only signed through this season and Kearse is a UFA after 2019 as well. 
I think safety will be one of the positions they'll draft, but with the starters set there and so many other early round needs (G, T, 3T, WR, TE) it's probably a day-3 pick (like LB and RB). At least that's what I would do. What the Vikings do is anyone's guess. 

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Tyr" said:

I felt that they should have used the big nickel package more last season, but that was largely due to Kearse being better than Gedeon. Any chance that they try to upgrade their LB depth on day 3?

Don't know if anyone has seen this mock by CBS Sports Will Brinson...has only 2 other O linemen going before the Vikes pick at #18...Jonah Williams.  He has a bunch of D linemen going early.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...rst-round/

Quote: @"Tyr" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Tyr" said:

I felt that they should have used the big nickel package more last season, but that was largely due to Kearse being better than Gedeon. Any chance that they try to upgrade their LB depth on day 3?
I'd imagine they will want to add more depth. They talked last season about how they felt the depth wasn't really there at LB when it needed to be. 

Quote: @"Ralphie" said:
Don't know if anyone has seen this mock by CBS Sports Will Brinson...has only 2 other O linemen going before the Vikes pick at #18...Jonah Williams.  He has a bunch of D linemen going early.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...rst-round/
Jonah Williams would probably be the best of all options. It's certainly the least disruptive. You put him at left guard and everyone else stays put. You also have a very legit long term option at left tackle. 

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019jwilliams.php

jonahs scouting report from charlie campbell.  Not a sexy pick but perhaps the right one if he falls to plug in at LG and go