Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wait, am I missing some context? Or is this to be taken @ face value?
Quote: @mblack said:
@savannahskol said:
This is easy enough to tell if Trump's lying about stopping testing.  This is from the CDC site. 
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/testing-in-us.html
Updated June 19, 2020
TOTAL TESTS
TOTAL TESTS REPORTED

I'll post the #'s when it is updated next. 
This is just crazy. Ofcourse they have tested more people. Countries can't test people they don't have.
Can you share the per capita numbers? This is an accurate reflection when you compare country by country. You can't compare a country with 330 million plus people with a country of 90 million plus. The per capita is used as a normalizing factor. You know this.
What he said is just lying to the people and using numbers to sell a false narrative. You should know better...

Quote: As of June 19, 2020, Portugal had performed the sixth most COVID-19 tests per one million population among the countries most severely impacted by the pandemic. Portugal has conducted over 1 million COVID-19 tests and has a population of approximately 10.2 million inhabitants. So, for every one million inhabitants, around 101,200 tests are conducted.
Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/#statisticContainer

The US is 10th with 80,755
UAE303,457
Qatar110,289
Russia107,445
UK106,956
Spain103,232
Portugal101,227
Singapore98,514
Belgium91,135
Belarus84,707
USA80,755
Italy79,908
Canada60,837
Germany60,038
How do we compare on total number of tests?  Gotta remember where we've started with testing in a very short period of time.  Conducting millions of tests is an accomplishment.

Considering the size of the population and the fact that we are behind in testing, it's a drop in the bucket. Of course you have to start somewhere but there is so much more to do.

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
@mblack said:
@savannahskol said:
This is easy enough to tell if Trump's lying about stopping testing.  This is from the CDC site. 
Updated June 19, 2020
TOTAL TESTS
TOTAL TESTS REPORTED

This is just crazy. Ofcourse they have tested more people. Countries can't test people they don't have.
Can you share the per capita numbers? This is an accurate reflection when you compare country by country. You can't compare a country with 330 million plus people with a country of 90 million plus. The per capita is used as a normalizing factor. You know this.
What he said is just lying to the people and using numbers to sell a false narrative. You should know better...

Quote: As of June 19, 2020, Portugal had performed the sixth most COVID-19 tests per one million population among the countries most severely impacted by the pandemic. Portugal has conducted over 1 million COVID-19 tests and has a population of approximately 10.2 million inhabitants. So, for every one million inhabitants, around 101,200 tests are conducted.
Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/#statisticContainer

UAE303,457
Qatar110,289
Russia107,445
UK106,956
Spain103,232
Portugal101,227
Singapore98,514
Belgium91,135
Belarus84,707
USA80,755
Italy79,908
Canada60,837
Germany60,038
How do we compare on total number of tests?  Gotta remember where we've started with testing in a very short period of time.  Conducting millions of tests is an accomplishment.

You compare them as I explained above. As a matter of fact, no one really cares about how the US compares to other countries. Members of the Trump administration and their supporters are the ones trying so hard to tell us they tested more than any country (which is absolutely false). You don't hear other countries comparing or boasting about testing numbers. What people care about and want is an extensive testing program which actually works which we are far off. Yet the President wants the testing slowed down... Ah yes, his statementbwas a joke right?
Lastly, at the bold... why did we start testing late when we had a substantial heads up to prepare than all the countries ahead of us?
However you look at it the issues can be traced to the same source. So please spare me the accomplishment line (unless it was sarcasm) because nothing this administration has done about testing is an accomplishment especially with the number of people that continue to lose their lives since New York happened (I am really trying to use New York as a point of awakening for this administration).

Lets keep in mind that the NY Mayor and Governor didnt make some of the right calls early on either. Flip side of that coin is the Fed's didn't lead, couldn't lead and pushed a hell of a lot down to the state level, at the expense of lives many would argue.

Eventually we'll read how history tells the tale of how the Trump Administration managed or mis-managed the Pandemic.

There are still a lot of chapters still to go unfortunately, much to the Potus' dismay. Last thing he wants is Covid making headlines, unless its the virus dying-out. 

Right now, I'm not convinced its going to make the Pence resume' if he's looking for work in January. 

Quote: @mblack said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@mblack said:
@savannahskol said:
Updated June 19, 2020
TOTAL TESTS
TOTAL TESTS REPORTED

UAE303,457
Qatar110,289
Russia107,445
UK106,956
Spain103,232
Portugal101,227
Singapore98,514
Belgium91,135
Belarus84,707
USA80,755
Italy79,908
Canada60,837
Germany60,038

You compare them as I explained above. As a matter of fact, no one really cares about how the US compares to other countries. Members of the Trump administration and their supporters are the ones trying so hard to tell us they tested more than any country (which is absolutely false). You don't hear other countries comparing or boasting about testing numbers. What people care about and want is an extensive testing program which actually works which we are far off. Yet the President wants the testing slowed down... Ah yes, his statementbwas a joke right?
Lastly, at the bold... why did we start testing late when we had a substantial heads up to prepare than all the countries ahead of us?
However you look at it the issues can be traced to the same source. So please spare me the accomplishment line (unless it was sarcasm) because nothing this administration has done about testing is an accomplishment especially with the number of people that continue to lose their lives since New York happened (I am really trying to use New York as a point of awakening for this administration).

There is validity in reporting both total number of tests and testing per capita.  Since the POTUS mentioned total tests, I was curious if you had the data for the US and other countries.   Apparently not.  Okay!  More testing would be great and I'm sure more will be done.

NY is an interesting case with significant by NY governor and NYC mayor.  Two examples.  I would hope the good people of NY would sue the pants off the states leadership for putting known Covid infected persons in nursing homes.  Brilliant, lets increase the risk of exposure to the most at risk population.  Lots of deaths on Cuomo's hands, he totally owns the error.

How long did it take for the NYC mayor to order the subways cleaned?  Way too late, so silly to ignore such an important transmission vector.  Thousands of riders, closely packed, and no cleaning of surfaces.  Brilliant!

There will be lots of books written and fingers pointed in all directions as the covid year 2020 gets discussed.

I don't think this is a situation where testing has much affect on the end result.  If you have symptoms, stay home or if it's bad go to the hospital.  I don't think the numbers we have are of much value since there is so much difference between population groups.  Different populations have different rates of testing.  Different tests have different accuracies.  Different populations have different total volumes.  Different populations have different feelings regarding how bad things are before they go get tested.

I think what we really need to be doing is randomized testing and antibody testing to see where we are on the path to herd immunity.  I think we need to be given what our goal is.  Are we going to hunker down and hope it magically goes away or that we will develop a cure in a reasonable time frame?  I think the goal that makes the most sense is that we move towards herd immunity as rapidly as possible while not overwhelming our hospitals, and while protecting the elderly and most vulnerable as much as possible.

The policy of herd immunity assumes (hopes like hell) you wont get it again, after you've had it.

That is a question that has yet to be addressed.

Quote: @savannahskol said:
Updated June 19, 2020
TOTAL TESTS
TOTAL TESTS REPORTED

Update! 
By today's CDC!  

Updated June 22, 2020

Total tests
TOTAL TESTS REPORTED
link  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nco...in-us.html

27,317,035 >> than 26,781.666. (Yes?)

So...either Trump was just kidding...or the CDC is lying....

I'm no whiz with calculus.... but 27M>26M.  

The logic of an idiot on full display....

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/23/trump-joking-slowing-coronavirus-testing-335459
President Donald Trump on Tuesday insisted he was serious when he revealed that he had directed his administration to slow coronavirus testing in the United States, shattering the defenses of senior White House aides who argued Trump’s remarks were made in jest.
“I don’t kid. Let me just tell you. Let me make it clear,” Trump told reporters, when pressed on whether his comments at a campaign event Saturday in Tulsa, Okla., were intended as a joke.
“We have got the greatest testing program anywhere in the world. We test better than anybody in the world. Our tests are the best in the world, and we have the most of them. By having more tests, we find more cases,” he continued.
Administration officials as high ranking as Vice President Mike Pence have scrambled in recent days to clean up Trump’s statements from his weekend rally, where he reprised his dubious logic regarding testing rates before an arena of supporters.
“When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people,” Trump said during the rally. “You’re going to find more cases. So I said to my people, ‘Slow the testing down, please.’”

Here's my position:

[Image: TvZY6c.gif]