Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Said Goodbye to DirecTV
Quote: @greediron said:
So what are the Kodi sticks?  I see they are a streaming stick, but living out of Viking area, can it be setup to get MN stations?
Kodi is an open source software that can be run on a variety devices.  You can access virtualy anything you can think of.  If you want me stations look into a slingbox and find someone to allow you to install it in their home 

What is the minimum internet speed required for 1080 playback on these devices?  Out here in the suburb of a corn field we haven't been bestowed with the highest data rates.  We are a little up and down at times, but I think we are between 20-28 Mbps most of the time.   My internet is free, with uncapped speed because I have a repeater tower on my property.  I'm sure I'm good with the speed.  But questioning thinking of my neighbors who are paying for speeds at half that rate.  Where's the bottom end to make this functional option?

Quote: @purpleloki said:
@minny65 said:
Is p@purpleloki said:

I dumped cable 7 years ago. I have a Roku box and watch Hulu plus , Netflix and Amazon Prime. I have an channel called Plex where I can send my downloaded Viking games or movies etc. and watch them on the big screen. F*@& cable or any other paid service, don't miss it a bit.
Is plex just something you download and watch on the computer only or can you send to the TV?  I am not very tech savy.  I have the jailbroken amazon firestick which is OK but still has it's issues - lost or slow streaming.  I was going to try it to watch a Viking game and not buy the ticket this year but I am worried that it will drive me crazy.

So back to Plex - do you watch the Viking games (do you get preseason) on the computer and are their any major issues or is it similar to having the ticket?

Thanks
Plex is just a free channel you sign up for and allows you to send from your computer to your tv. Great free program!
Basically, Plex is software that you install on your PC which lets you stream media that is stored on your PC to anywhere, by using the Plex app that is available on Roku, Apple/Android devices, PlayStation, XBox, smart TVs, etc.  So if you want to download or rip movies, TV shows, etc. to your PC, Plex will allow you to view that media anywhere that has an internet connection, assuming your PC is also hooked up to the internet and has decent upload speeds (at least 3 mbps).

What really works great for us is taking our Roku stick with us when we travel to hotels (or even the in-laws), and plugging it into the HDMI port on the TV.  Then, using wifi and the Plex app, we are able to access all of our media at home from the hotel, and skip paying those outrageous hotel movie rental fees.  We can also use the Roku stick to watch Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix as well when traveling, which has been great for us and our kids.

Like a poster mentioned earlier, Plex just started offering a Live TV and DVR service that I hope to use for recording Vikings games this fall.  However, it will only work with TV that you already receive, whether that is over the air TV or though a cable subscription.  I live in Sioux Falls so I already get the games over my local broadcast channels but Plex will allow me to save them to my PC's hard drive for viewing anytime, anywhere that I want.

Quote: @PapaScott said:
@greediron said:
So what are the Kodi sticks?  I see they are a streaming stick, but living out of Viking area, can it be setup to get MN stations?
Kodi is an open source software that can be run on a variety devices.  You can access virtualy anything you can think of.  If you want me stations look into a slingbox and find someone to allow you to install it in their home 
was looking at that with my fam back in ND.  But internet speeds aren't the greatest in the rural areas, so I didn't.

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
I got an e-mail from DirecTV saying I get Sunday Ticket free for being a loyal customer.
I've been with DirecTV for like 16 years and I've never gotten an email for free anything. I'd take it.

Quote: @Proudhorn said:
@Riphawkins said:
I got an e-mail from DirecTV saying I get Sunday Ticket free for being a loyal customer.
I've been with DirecTV for like 16 years and I've never gotten an email for free anything. I'd take it.
Good to see you Proud!

Skol bros...

Roku + Sling + local HD antenna for free local TV.  Trophy wife is wanting to add Netflix.  I have cut my monthly bills by hundreds...so far.  Not done figuring this thing out yet.

I would like to try all these things,  but can't get "locals" via antenna,  and the cost of fast enought Internet out here would be as much the dish.

Quote: @Proudhorn said:
@Riphawkins said:
Hey Proud.  I have been with them about the same length of time and they have never mailed me any free offers either.  I could call and get free stuff in the past but no more.

I think the DVR service fee has something to do with taking content off multiple channels at once or some such malarkey.  But if they are actually required to charge that, why don't they explain that to us like mature adults?