My question throughout the game
Quote: @"96POPS" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Maple Surple" said:
@"pumpf" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"pumpf" said:
I thought we got Iloka for our "big Nickel" packages.  Seems like we could've used that tonight.  Why did we bother to get him?  Did he even see the field tonight?
As for "what's wrong with our defense", I think it's simple: we have a couple of young guys in the secondary.  Either they aren't "getting it" yet... or they're just not that good.
Of course, then there's the lack of leadership due to BRob being released...
If BRob being released is the reason the D is off, then fire everyone because that's ridiculous. There are other leaders on D, like Harrison Smith. This 'lack' of leadership stuff is such fan garbage. No offense, pumpf, but I don't agree with that at all. Griffen was missed last night on the field big time and was against Buffalo, too. He's the best player on the D. 

The D has been exposed.  There's little doubt about that now. And it started late last year.
No offense taken.  But, having played football at a "high" level... and having coached it for 20+ years... I don't think people understand the importance of leadership.  Harrison is an awesome player- but what makes you think he is a "leader"?  
Then why is this great leader of men not employed ?
 Seems like a simple solution for any team with complicated issues looking for easy wins...hire him & you...badda bing badda Boom Super Bowl !

you cant hire leadership... its made from within.   you can hire people with leadership traits,  but its more than just the person that makes them a leader or not.  BRob had the respect of his teammates because of his experience,  his knowledge of the system,  and how he carried himself,  its all those things that made him a good field general.  the job is there but nobody on our D seems to want to or be able to grab it.... IMO its to many guys on short deals that are worried about next year instead of taking care of this year,  also to many subdued guys mixed with really overly emotional guys.  not enough middle ground personalities with experience and knowledge to do the job.
This is complete conjecture on your part. Give me a break. I liked Robison as much as anyone, but let's get real here. Sorry Jimmy, but this is such an eye roll post on your part for me. 
Agreed Jimmy. Good post. Sorry if some think it's bullshit. Truth be told i don't think Brian could help much because everyone is worried about their stats,  glory and money.
Some will always think it is bullshit.  But it is pretty obvious.  Stats, money, or just not worried enough about doing their job.  That is one think that made Brian such a leader, he did his job without worrying about all the other crap.  And precisely why I speculated Rick treating him like shit may be bad for the team.  But of course it is all sentiment because some of us are blinded by the sheer awesomeness of Pops actually talking with us.  We are starstruck little kids and should be mocked as such.  All the time, every time.

Or seeing the D struggling with a lack of leadership, maybe it isn't such bullshit after all.  Hell maybe it isn't a coincidence about Griffen not being out there either. 

BRob is/was a great player and he provided leadership. So did Newman (who I suspect is missed as much). But other good teams and defensive units have lost leading vets and if their scheme is strong and coaches are good, they continue to perform well.

But a lot of comments from Pops refer to Brian lining people up correctly, and we hear about players out of position. That's not just a lack of inspiration, it's misunderstanding. Yet this is not a group of rookies or 2nd-year players. Every significant contributor aside from Mike Hughes and Ben Gedeon (not even that significant) is a vet of 3 years or more. Smith and Joseph are 29, Rhodes is 28 - maybe they aren't "leaders", but if half of this unit doesn't know the defensive scheme, will they ever?
If a defensive scheme is so complicated it can only work if it has an old DB with 10+ years in the system ON THE FIELD...is it really a scheme that is practical in the NFL??

Quote: @"Maple Surple" said:
Maybe a statue of him would help brighten up the locker room ?

C’mon...
I get that you guys all have all his jerseys and autographed pics & have actually talked to him in person about fish, but enough. This message board has turned into a living obituary 
Opponent scores...BRob would have stopped it, Our QB fumbles ? BRob would have coached him up, Our secondary falls apart? BRob would have laid his hands on them

Look we get it, you really liked him and his Dad being connected here, but that ship has sailed. You can’t be objective & obsessive, they don’t mix

If nothing else tell me why ...
not one team in the league hasn’t hired him as a player or coach ?
1. I'll tell you. 35 yrs old and people think that is a curse. 
2.he is not going to coach and doesn't want to coach.
3. He has been contacted or his agent has and he declined because it wasn't where he wanted to be.
Another team told him to stay in shape and be ready.
4. His agent said usually most teams have their rosters set already and it would be later on in the season due to an injury or a playoff team needing veteran play.
5. I really don't give a flying FUCK what you think or say.
But as of right now we are headed to a bass tournament and then maybe a few days fishing in Minnesota.
Jimmy, you are knocking it out of the park with your assessment. Truth is there is not a vocal leader to take his place and i still stick to my guns on the reason they will not call. RS,  believe it or not.
Tata.

Quote: @"96POPS" said:
@"Maple Surple" said:

C’mon...
I get that you guys all have all his jerseys and autographed pics & have actually talked to him in person about fish, but enough. This message board has turned into a living obituary 
Opponent scores...BRob would have stopped it, Our QB fumbles ? BRob would have coached him up, Our secondary falls apart? BRob would have laid his hands on them

Look we get it, you really liked him and his Dad being connected here, but that ship has sailed. You can’t be objective & obsessive, they don’t mix

1. I'll tell you. 35 yrs old and people think that is a curse. 
2.he is not going to coach and doesn't want to coach.
3. He has been contacted or his agent has and he declined because it wasn't where he wanted to be.
Another team told him tobstaybinnshspe and be ready.
4. His agent said usually most teams have their rosters set already and it would be later on in the season due to an injury or a playoff team needing veteran play.
5. I really don't give a flying FUCK what you think or say.
But as of right now we are headed to a bass tournament and then maybe a few days fishing in Minnesota.
Jimmy, you are knocking it out of the park with your assessment. Truth is there is not a vocal leader to take his place and i still stick to my guns on the reason they will not call. RS,  believe it or not.
Tata.

Good luck to you and B,  dont forget to cross those eyes.

Sorry you Popped your Top Pop  :o
Go Fish
As Ive said many times, B should cherish his memories and be thankful he had a great career and still has his health, physical & mental as I can’t help but wonder if EverG hasnt been affected by physical brain trauma or other chemicals administered by staff over the years

Sad to see there are such sour grapes, but time will heal all wounds & when he goes into the ring, bygones will be just that

The only constant is change

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
BRob is/was a great player and he provided leadership. So did Newman (who I suspect is missed as much). But other good teams and defensive units have lost leading vets and if their scheme is strong and coaches are good, they continue to perform well.

But a lot of comments from Pops refer to Brian lining people up correctly, and we hear about players out of position. That's not just a lack of inspiration, it's misunderstanding. Yet this is not a group of rookies or 2nd-year players. Every significant contributor aside from Mike Hughes and Ben Gedeon (not even that significant) is a vet of 3 years or more. Smith and Joseph are 29, Rhodes is 28 - maybe they aren't "leaders", but if half of this unit doesn't know the defensive scheme, will they ever?
If a defensive scheme is so complicated it can only work if it has an old DB with 10+ years in the system ON THE FIELD...is it really a scheme that is practical in the NFL??
Great point !
I was thinking that if any player was missed on the field it was Newman, but how inept are the rest that they need to have their hand held ? 

Quote: @"Maple Surple" said:

C’mon...

Talk about conjecture...
My opinion is based on having played the game at the college level... and having coached it for 20+ years.  I have never met Brian... and I think if Pops were honest, he knows my "handle" and that's about it.  I like Pops, but it's not like we've ever swapped PMs.  I would guess that those who completely disregard the importance of leadership... have never played the game at a high level... or served in the military.

It really doesn't matter why no other team has signed him; what matters is that we didn't.  Maybe that was a good decision... maybe it wasn't.  But- as I said at the time- the decision to let BRob go seemed like a move made for the future depth of the DL, not for the present (i.e. "win now").  

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:

You forgot about Mack Alexander.  That's 2 young DBs... and our biggest issue has been pass defense.  

I know some will always disagree but I think the veteran leadership is really important.  I  have said it often and will continue to say that this defense misses BRob and Newman too.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
@"Jor-El" said:

You forgot about Mack Alexander.  That's 2 young DBs... and our biggest issue has been pass defense.  
Alexander is a 3rd-year player (as is Weatherly). Sure, still young, and struggling (not sure time will correct that in his case), but at some point - like with 2 years in the NFL, in the same system - each player better figure out where they are supposed to be. We get rookies for 4 years on their contract, do they need to spend 3/4 of that figuring out Professor Zimmer's complicated scheme?