Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My question throughout the game
I thought we got Iloka for our "big Nickel" packages.  Seems like we could've used that tonight.  Why did we bother to get him?  Did he even see the field tonight?
As for "what's wrong with our defense", I think it's simple: we have a couple of young guys in the secondary.  Either they aren't "getting it" yet... or they're just not that good.
Of course, then there's the lack of leadership due to BRob being released...

I asked this question two weeks ago and all i heard was that  Sendejo is playing so great. Well, he looks like garbage in coverage. There is no safety help over the top. The defense looks overpaid and fat in general. On the bright side, we can slash a few guys next year and have plenty of cap room to add more talent to the offense as that is all that matters in the New NFL.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
I thought we got Iloka for our "big Nickel" packages.  Seems like we could've used that tonight.  Why did we bother to get him?  Did he even see the field tonight?
As for "what's wrong with our defense", I think it's simple: we have a couple of young guys in the secondary.  Either they aren't "getting it" yet... or they're just not that good.
If BRob being released is the reason the D is off, then fire everyone because that's ridiculous. There are other leaders on D, like Harrison Smith. This 'lack' of leadership stuff is such fan garbage. No offense, pumpf, but I don't agree with that at all. Griffen was missed last night on the field big time and was against Buffalo, too. He's the best player on the D. 

The D has been exposed.  There's little doubt about that now. And it started late last year.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"pumpf" said:
If BRob being released is the reason the D is off, then fire everyone because that's ridiculous. There are other leaders on D, like Harrison Smith. This 'lack' of leadership stuff is such fan garbage. No offense, pumpf, but I don't agree with that at all. Griffen was missed last night on the field big time and was against Buffalo, too. He's the best player on the D. 

The D has been exposed.  There's little doubt about that now. And it started late last year.
I agree with this 100%.  We are really lucky to be 1-2-1.  Right now, not only are we not the best Defense in the league, but likely one of the worst.  Not sure what happened to this team since NO last year, but they must find a way to at least get mediocre.  Front four can not get pressure and teams seem to see and pick up our blitz packages.  Zimmer has got to make some wholesale changes in his approach.  

Where is the pass rush?.....

Quote: @"Purplewhizz" said:
Where is the pass rush?.....
Same thing happened last year the last 6 games when Griffen had the foot issue. He's the straw that stirs the drink on D. Griffen has missed 2 games and the pass rush looked like garbage. 

I'd say they really aren't running the same scheme as last year with the same personnel. 
You have guys that have gotten fat contracts try show they deserve those paychecks and youngster trying to show they belong.
Brian may have been getting older but he always put the team and scheme of the defense first and foremost because he wanted to win more than anything.
The de$ense was predicated on each person doing their job and everything else fell into place. That's why many times it was his job to put players in place to make plays even if it meant tying up blockers or reading blocking signals and moving someone into place. Unselfishness made it work but what wen along with that was the fact that on the front 7 you had a group that had played together and knew each other's responses.
This is my belief.

interesting....  remove years of experience, production and leadership and it should have zero impact but remove a different player and it’s completely the reason why the D is off.  

The D is looking for it’s identity after losing it’s field general and then it’s face.  So far no one has stepped up for either role.   

Quote: @"96POPS" said:
I'd say they really aren't running the same scheme as last year with the same personnel. 
You have guys that have gotten fat contracts try show they deserve those paychecks and youngster trying to show they belong.
Brian may have been getting older but he always put the team and scheme of the defense first and foremost because he wanted to win more than anything.
The de$ense was predicated on each person doing their job and everything else fell into place. That's why many times it was his job to put players in place to make plays even if it meant tying up blockers or reading blocking signals and moving someone into place. Unselfishness made it work but what wen along with that was the fact that on the front 7 you had a group that had played together and knew each other's responses.
This is my belief.
I would say you are pretty spot on.

I will add that there is something schematically wrong with having Barr trying to stay with a speedy WR. That just isn't going to happen with a LB.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"96POPS" said:
This is my belief.
I would say you are pretty spot on.

I will add that there is something schematically wrong with having Barr trying to stay with a speedy WR. That just isn't going to happen with a LB.
Right now theres something schematically wrong with having Barr on the field