Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The league has officially ruined football
  When i agree with Clay Matthews there is something very wrong.They are worried about losing viewers? This rule will do it faster than anything.

I think the world was ready to return to the NFL after being away from it because it was too politicized, but I think these new rules are going to reverse that momentum.  That combined with them not showing all the possible games.  Every week they only show 3 games between the early and late games, and this week I'm pretty sure they only showed two, one at each time slot.  How does that build their brand?  When the Vikings game went to shit, which was highly likely to happen anyway (but the other way) shouldn't have their been another game on Fox to watch?

Quote: @"medaille" said:
I think the world was ready to return to the NFL after being away from it because it was too politicized, but I think these new rules are going to reverse that momentum.  
This I agree with. I'll be curious to see the NFL ratings in 2-3 weeks as more of these bad calls for roughing the passer keep coming and influencing games. I think for front running cities like Los Angeles, the Rams being good will help rating a bunch. But if perennial big ratings teams like Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh and Green Bay start/continue to flounder, you'll see those precious, precious fence sitting bandwagon fans the NFL loves to cater to move on to other things like college football.

maybe you cant say Direct (satilite company that displays on a common living room appliance)

Quote: @"KingBash" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
@"KingBash" said:
@"Mike Olson" said:
I edited the original post to remove items that go against our posting rules. 
What?
Probably the league name. That's my guess.
Did I say it was gay? Is that what it was? Sorry...

I guess you can say "fuck" but not "gay." I'd think most posters would know I'm not homophobic. Mike, I'm not attacking you for that. I understand the hyper-sensitive climate we live in but, it's ridiculous. Sick of the "I want an apology" culture we're fostering.
Yeah. I know yer not homophobic KB. It's not a big deal just not something that we don't use as a descriptor. And I wanted to be up front about editing it.

Also I completely agree that the league is ruining itself. 

Ok since this went a direction I didn't think it would go. No you cannot use the word Gay on these forums as a means to debase something. It isn't political correctness. It's common decency.  The word Gay had nothing to do with football in any way yet you used it as a negative descriptor. If you don't understand why that is wrong the problem isn't with society or with political correctness. The problem is with you. Now do I think you are a homophobic person? No probably not. But using homophobic language you sure seem ok with. We don't allow that on our forums. I removed it. I told you I edited it and I have given you the reason for it. 

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
Ok since this went a direction I didn't think it would go. No you cannot use the word Gay on these forums as a means to debase something. It isn't political correctness. It's common decency.  The word Gay had nothing to do with football in any way yet you used it as a negative descriptor. If you don't understand why that is wrong the problem isn't with society or with political correctness. The problem is with you. Now do I think you are a homophobic person? No probably not. But using homophobic language you sure seem ok with. We don't allow that on our forums. I removed it. I told you I edited it and I have given you the reason for it. 
That was mighty straight of you to let us know what the problem was Smile

Quote: @"Purple Haze" said:
Im with you.  I was watching the vikes game along with 4 other games at the same time.  At any time you could look around and see penalties on at least 3 games.  In the 14 games played as of the time of this post 3 games had 20 or more penalties, 2 had 17, vikes game had 18, 4 others had at least 10, and the two games still in progress had 11 and 14. Only 2 games had less than 10 penalties called they were 9 and 7.  That is an average of 15 penalties/game.  Who wants to watch 3 hours of the officials throwing flags.  Its not just the amount of flags, its what the flags are doing to the game.  All the missed tackles we are seeing isnt because these guys forgot how to tackle.  They are changing the way they tackle.  When Josh Allen leaped over a viking defender that wasnt some great athletic play.  That was the result of a defender being afraid to hit high and take a chance of a penalty, so he goes low and we say the result.  It happened last week with Jimmy Graham jumping over a defender going low.  
Yep.  The league getting what they want.  Arena football.  Defenders have to hold off on QBs cuz they might slide late and draw a foul.  And can't go high or low, so you try to tackle them with pillows and then the QB can occasionally act like a football player and the defender looks like a fool.  Saw that with RGIII all the time.  Defenders would let on the sideline and he would fake going out of bounds and then run for more yards. 

Either QBs can play football or they are declared down when a defender touches with 2 hands.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Purple Haze" said:
Im with you.  I was watching the vikes game along with 4 other games at the same time.  At any time you could look around and see penalties on at least 3 games.  In the 14 games played as of the time of this post 3 games had 20 or more penalties, 2 had 17, vikes game had 18, 4 others had at least 10, and the two games still in progress had 11 and 14. Only 2 games had less than 10 penalties called they were 9 and 7.  That is an average of 15 penalties/game.  Who wants to watch 3 hours of the officials throwing flags.  Its not just the amount of flags, its what the flags are doing to the game.  All the missed tackles we are seeing isnt because these guys forgot how to tackle.  They are changing the way they tackle.  When Josh Allen leaped over a viking defender that wasnt some great athletic play.  That was the result of a defender being afraid to hit high and take a chance of a penalty, so he goes low and we say the result.  It happened last week with Jimmy Graham jumping over a defender going low.  
Yep.  The league getting what they want.  Arena football.  Defenders have to hold off on QBs cuz they might slide late and draw a foul.  And can't go high or low, so you try to tackle them with pillows and then the QB can occasionally act like a football player and the defender looks like a fool.  Saw that with RGIII all the time.  Defenders would let on the sideline and he would fake going out of bounds and then run for more yards. 

Either QBs can play football or they are declared down when a defender touches with 2 hands.
Defenders should make a statement and just wrap QBs up and watch the reactions. Totally legal... and the fans in the stands would boo.

Fuck you, Roger Goodell.