Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This team is too good for a bad rookie kicker
Quote: @Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
we dont have shit for cap space right now.  cutting Treadwell would immediately become a 5 million dollar cap hit.... and siging Bailey would like take another couple million.  as of last week I think I saw where we have about 1.5 million in cap space right now.   All this talk of cutting people and signing people is sweet if the money were there.  they could maybe make Bailey work,  but Treadwell is here through next year most likely.
We have to straighten this out, but my understanding is that if Treadwell is cut today, we will still have his 2018 salary ($2.7M) counted against our cap this year (so no cap relief), and next year we will also have to count his 2019 salary ($3.1M). But I don't think cutting him today forces us to add next year's salary to this year's cap. 
his total contract is guaranteed so if we cut him any remaining prorated parts of the deal are owed to him immediately and will count against this years cap if I understand it correctly.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vi...ell-18971/

maybe its just the prorated signing bonus for next year that gets tagged to this years cap in addition to this years costs... either way we cant afford to cut him with only 1.5 million in cap space remaining if they do add any part of next years money onto this year.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I'm not for cutting Treadwell. I think his drops can be overcome, especially considering that it's never really been a problem for him in the past. I am, however, for cutting Carlson asap and bringing in a veteran kicker. Even IF Carlson goes on to make 3, 4, 5 in a row, that doubt, uncertainty will always be with him, the fans, the players, the coaching staff, and the opposing team (they'll chirp at him constantly). And that's a very bad thing as we compete for a title. The bigger the kick, the bigger the doubt. It's a head thing and it's not something he can easily move past. If we can somehow put him on the practice squad, I'd be for that. 
Dude this is year 3 of completely shitting the bed.  I'm not for cutting him simply because of cap reasons, but I don't want to see his ass on the field again unless the game is a complete blowout, and even then, I'd rather see other young WRs who have actually shown promise get some work.

I'm not for cutting Treadwell. I think his drops can be overcome...
?? This is Year 3. Its always something it appears with this kid. He's done, it just won't happen this season. 

He won't be on the Viking's roster a year from now. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
?? This is Year 3. Its always something it appears with this kid. He's done, it just won't happen this season. 

His problems have always been that he couldn't get open. Didn't have the acceleration, or the kind of route savvy to separate from defenders. He's finally GETTING that and some of you want to cut him? No, that would be foolish. Yeah, he has a new problem now, one he'll have to figure out.

Look, I get that everyone is angry right now and wants some sort arm-chair "revenge" to make them feel better inside, but cutting him is not a wise decision. I remember a couple seasons ago when Diggs went through a series of drops. If drops were an issue with Treadwell in the past, that would be another thing. But they haven't. Keep him, bench him and put him on the JUGS. 

And whether or not he's on the team in September of 2019 is obviously not a decision that will be made in week two of 2018. 

Carlson, in his own words, lacks confidence.  Not sure that can be fixed with a kicker.

@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:

His problems have always been that he couldn't get open. Didn't have the acceleration, or the kind of route savvy to separate from defenders. He's finally GETTING that and some of you want to cut him? No, that would be foolish. Yeah, he has a new problem now, one he'll have to figure out.

Look, I get that everyone is angry right now and wants some sort arm-chair "revenge" to make them feel better inside, but cutting him is not a wise decision. I remember a couple seasons ago when Diggs went through a series of drops. If drops were an issue with Treadwell in the past, that would be another thing. But they haven't. Keep him, bench him and put him on the JUGS. 

And whether or not he's on the team in September of 2019 is obviously not a decision that will be made in week two of 2018. 
Cutting him makes no salary cap-sense, so it won't happen. Benching him is what I'm advocating. The rest will take care of itself next off-season. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
we dont have shit for cap space right now.  cutting Treadwell would immediately become a 5 million dollar cap hit.... and siging Bailey would like take another couple million.  as of last week I think I saw where we have about 1.5 million in cap space right now.   All this talk of cutting people and signing people is sweet if the money were there.  they could maybe make Bailey work,  but Treadwell is here through next year most likely.
We have to straighten this out, but my understanding is that if Treadwell is cut today, we will still have his 2018 salary ($2.7M) counted against our cap this year (so no cap relief), and next year we will also have to count his 2019 salary ($3.1M). But I don't think cutting him today forces us to add next year's salary to this year's cap. 
his total contract is guaranteed so if we cut him any remaining prorated parts of the deal are owed to him immediately and will count against this years cap if I understand it correctly.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vi...ell-18971/

maybe its just the prorated signing bonus for next year that gets tagged to this years cap in addition to this years costs... either way we cant afford to cut him with only 1.5 million in cap space remaining if they do add any part of next years money onto this year.
IDK - wouldn't that mean that if we cut Cousins today, we would take an immediate hit of $84M on this year's cap? The Packers would take a $80M hit this year if they cut Rodgers? You may be right, it just seems like that system would prevent teams from signing contracts with total guaranteed money that could blow their entire cap if it applied to a single season.

We waived TJ Clemmings at the beginning of the 2017 season, but $131,000 of his salary is counting against our 2018 cap. I think that means it was the guaranteed portion of his contract that would have been paid this year, and Treadwell would be handled the same way.