Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This team is too good for a bad rookie kicker
...and move on from Treadwell. Call Dan Bailey today and see what his deal is. They have no choice, there's too much at stake for this season. Cousins just put his stamp on this franchise as its leader. Great game in hostile territory with Minnesota's biggest rival. Should have won that game. Beautiful TD to Diggs at 60+ yard throw in the air from Kirk. 

Fix it now before it costs the team another W. Vikes are almost lucky to get the tie with the shitshow from Carlson and Tread.

Dan Bailey will only be available for so long…cut the cord now.
It's time to swallow your pride and move on from Treadwell/Carlson

Andy Carlson (No Relation to the Jabroni Kicker)‏Verified account @AndyCarlsonShow 1m1 minute ago
More
I did not like Treadwell being back in the game after the INT and Cousins throwing to him on 2nd AND 3rd down before the 49-yard OT kick.

Carlson and Treadwell were mentally fried. But let's rely on them in this spot!

We can release Carlson for minor cap relief, but Treadwell would be a cap hit if released.

It'd be cheaper to bench him and utilize one of the young'uns waiting in the wings.

p.s. having said this, I think they give Carlson another week to redeem himself. 

Interesting....no Dan Bailey. I wonder if he's already told Cleveland no?

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo 2m2 minutes ago
More
#Browns[Image: CLEBrowns18.png] working out kickers today, including veterans Blair Walsh and Cairo Santos, sources say. GM John Dorsey is well acquainted with Santos from his time with the #Chiefs.

Listening to KFAN this morning and Leber's take was:
  1. Cutting Carlson at this stage sends a bad message to the locker room, citing the lack of opportunities to prove he does or doesn't have it (I'm paraphrasing, please correct if I'm wrong here)
  2. Conversely, Treadwell has had his chances and keeping him around also sends a bad message. Guys questioning if LT is here solely based on draft position and such... Is there really a chance for the Zylstra's of the world to work there way into playing time...
Leber said he'd give Carlson this week (Bills) and possibly next (Rams) before cutting ties.

Another interesting option I heard (not from Leber this time), and I have no idea about cap space and how any this would work regarding that. But, what about waiving Carlson, with the idea that no one will pick him up. Put Carlson on the practice squad to work it out there, then sign Bailey (or whomever) and lets go.

I think Leber is way off...  Carlson has had plenty of chances in preseason and now the regular season to show he can make pressure kicks.  He missed a couple against Seattle in the 3rd preseason game and couldn't do it on a slam dunk 35 yard game-winning FG against Green Bay.  The NFL is about performance and if you don't perform, someone else takes your job.
I don't think the players will revolt if Carlson is cut.  Every team has one kicker and you can't justify burning another roster spot to keep the guy you are replacing.  You cut him and find someone else.  Treadwell's case is a bit different...  most teams typically carry 5+ wide receivers.  If one isn't performing, you can demote that guy to special teams and give more snaps to the #4 or #5 guys.  You aren't forced to cut that guy.
I typically agree with Leber's takes, but not this time.

I would hope that Rick/Zim whomever would have learned from the "let's give Walsh another chance" experiment and not keep this kid around. Do I feel sorry for the kid? Yeah, of course, but not as sorry as I would feel if he plays shitty again next week, and the next, and the next...
Really, do they need to give him another opportunity? You know what would probably happen. He'd have a redeeming game, so they keep him. He then has a shit game but they site the prior week to give him ONE MORE CHANCE. Quite literally he could keep the job all season because of his inconsistency (make a few here, miss a bunch there, make a couple here, miss some there...wash, rinse repeat...) It would be my Blair Walsh nightmare all over again.
I agree with you Wet. I don't think the players would revolt if Carlson is cut. I saw some of their faces on the sidelines after the game. They fought so damn hard only to have it end that way. They sure didn't look happy to me.

we dont have shit for cap space right now.  cutting Treadwell would immediately become a 5 million dollar cap hit.... and siging Bailey would like take another couple million.  as of last week I think I saw where we have about 1.5 million in cap space right now.   All this talk of cutting people and signing people is sweet if the money were there.  they could maybe make Bailey work,  but Treadwell is here through next year most likely.

Quote: @"LabGeek" said:
Listening to KFAN this morning and Leber's take was:
  1. Cutting Carlson at this stage sends a bad message to the locker room, citing the lack of opportunities to prove he does or doesn't have it (I'm paraphrasing, please correct if I'm wrong here)
  2. Conversely, Treadwell has had his chances and keeping him around also sends a bad message. Guys questioning if LT is here solely based on draft position and such... Is there really a chance for the Zylstra's of the world to work there way into playing time...
Leber said he'd give Carlson this week (Bills) and possibly next (Rams) before cutting ties.

Another interesting option I heard (not from Leber this time), and I have no idea about cap space and how any this would work regarding that. But, what about waiving Carlson, with the idea that no one will pick him up. Put Carlson on the practice squad to work it out there, then sign Bailey (or whomever) and lets go.
Meh, I've never been impressed by Leber's "insider perspective" and his guesses don't have a good track record. On Carlson, doesn't "here based solely on draft position" also apply? Honestly, I think drafting a PK and giving him the job over Forbath already spoiled any attitude within the locker room.

Beyond that, there is the sense of accountability. Jeff Saturday was on ESPN this morning and said that a miss by a kicker that takes away a win totally deflates the rest of the team and position players see a kicker as someone who, "only has 1 job". 

I think they already gave him his opportunity for redemption - yesterday in overtime.

Also, there are some good kickers available now, but will they be here in two weeks if Carlson keeps crapping the bed? Maybe he'll be OK next week, in the dome, probably with a lead (though he will likely hear booing). But do you really want to trust him in week 4, tough match with the Rams, on national TV? No way he has the nerve for it. The rest of the team will feel that management has forced a kicker on them who will hold them back.