Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team looks like garbage again
To ignore Siemiens inability to move a the team against two and threes is beyond me.  if he is to come in and lead the team against starting talent, we are in trouble if Cousins goes down.  he should be carving up the competion he has been playing against in preseason.

I don't disagree Jimmie, just passing along what PA said. He made a big point of the difference in preseason and regular season, and that he thinks Siemian has the advantage.

Sloter has went against #3 defenses and looked great. Now throw in the #1 D's, and bring a bunch of exotic blitz packages, and Sloter may not look so good.

I think he has great long term potential.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
To update a previous post....so far in the NFL (granted, all preseason games), Kyle Sloter is 62-of-84 (73%) for 697 yards, 8 TDs and 0 INTs.
Its the reason that he got to be a #3 QB in the NFL.....but preseason and the regular season are in different zip codes. This doesn't mean he should be the backup QB. It means that a guy that hasn't been playing QB very long is getting a NFL shot. Those are PRESEASON stats. Siemian has a winning record as a starting NFL QB against #1 defenses. Its not really comparable.
I dont think MB was advocating anything other than just having some fun with stats. Hopefully a Bronco fan or 2 getting some indigestion over it.

And why is there a thread that the team looks like garbage when we have our 3rd stringers and bubble team players playing?

Be glad we're not Bills fans...
I thought that was obvious, since I've said many times that Siemian should remain the #2 QB, but I will say it's getting interesting. 

I guess Sloter will be the #3 until he isn't, until the coaching staff decides he's ready. Practice is probably more revealing, but I'd be pretty disappointed if this kid wasn't moved up to backup by OTAs next season.

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
I guess Sloter will be the #3 until he isn't, until the coaching staff decides he's ready. Practice is probably more revealing, but I'd be pretty disappointed if this kid wasn't moved up to backup by OTAs next season.
Yep, next season he's QB2 for this team. I've said that since late last year. And that is amazing development for a kid that didn't play college QB all that long. An UDFA gem snatched away from Denver. He needs the unpressurized air of that QB3 spot one more year and then the diapers come off.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
To update a previous post....so far in the NFL (granted, all preseason games), Kyle Sloter is 62-of-84 (73%) for 697 yards, 8 TDs and 0 INTs.
Its the reason that he got to be a #3 QB in the NFL.....but preseason and the regular season are in different zip codes. This doesn't mean he should be the backup QB. It means that a guy that hasn't been playing QB very long is getting a NFL shot. Those are PRESEASON stats. Siemian has a winning record as a starting NFL QB against #1 defenses. Its not really comparable.
I dont think MB was advocating anything other than just having some fun with stats. Hopefully a Bronco fan or 2 getting some indigestion over it.

And why is there a thread that the team looks like garbage when we have our 3rd stringers and bubble team players playing?

Be glad we're not Bills fans...
Because I call it as I see it and I was hoping to see some improvement out of Siemian, especially since he got the start over Sloter.  I would say that this is 3 games in a row now where the offensive starters and/or their backups have not looked very good.

And by the way, at the time that I posted, it was our 2nd stringers playing.  Our 3rd stringers actually picked it up quite a bit in the second half.   =)

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
Bingo. Practice is where the real competition is. That's where both sides of the ball are using the full Playbook and scheming to take away the other unit's strengths.

Kyle beats Trevor in practice he becomes the #2. Not in some streetball exercise we fans put way too much stock into.

Sticky, I agree that Sloter will be the #2 next year. The interesting thing will be can he develop fast enough to beat Trevor at some point this year. My guess is no because he's learning a new system while also trying to develop.

the one and only think Siemian has over Sloter at this point IMO (I kind of stole this from KFan this morning) is he has seen more and possibly he could be of more use to Cousins on game day.  (although I am not sure why he couldnt still do this as the deactivated 3rd string QB)  Sloter has out performed TS against every team and against in some cases the same competition that TS was faceing the drive previous.  (jacksonville and seattle played their 1s and 2s much longer than the Vikings did )  Sloter is the better QB plain and simple no arguement can be made another way IMO.

it really dont matter what number is next to their name,  they dont get paid more for being the #2 vs the #1 and it really only becomes an issue if Cousins goes down( heaven forbid).  In which case the coaches better be ready to explain why the better QB wasnt ready to play, why they instead opted for the obviously weaker player based on 2 year old stats,  because he certainly wasnt very good last year.

the only  upside I see to keeping Sloter as the #3 is he will get all the scout team O reps in practice,  while the #2 only gets a minimum number of reps and with Cousins and Flipper being new to each other and the offense as a whole,  I am hoping that Cousins is taking a very large part of those starting O reps.

Preseason games are one way to see that Sloter is better than Siemian. And he clearly has been. But you can dismiss that as just being preseason games.
Practice is another place where Sloter may overtake Siemian. But maybe Siemian is better in practice than he is in real games. But even if Sloter is better in practice, it's only practice, and there is no substitute for real game experience.
The other way to learn that Sloter is better when it counts is for Siemian to have to step in for Cousins and then fail to perform or to continue to perform just as we have seen so far. After enough futility from Siemian, he gets replaced by Sloter who goes on to play well. That's the more painful way to learn. It may cost us some games, maybe even a playoff spot, maybe some jobs. But at least then everyone will know.
Maybe Spielman can have a conversation with his fellow GM in Denver. "Hey John, you guys used to have Paxton Lynch, Trevor Siemian, and Kyle Sloter at the same time. Looks like you may be cutting Lynch, so very soon so you won't have any of them.  If you could pick just one to put back on your team, who would it be?"

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
the only  upside I see to keeping Sloter as the #3 is he will get all the scout team O reps in practice,  while the #2 only gets a minimum number of reps and with Cousins and Flipper being new to each other and the offense as a whole,  I am hoping that Cousins is taking a very large part of those starting O reps.
I've thought of this as well recently, and I guess if it's more beneficial to Sloter to be the #3 and get more reps, I'm all for that.  It would only come back to bite us if Cousins goes down and Siemian has to go in, but we would probably be pretty screwed no matter what at that point.  I don't see another Keenum-type performance coming out of either backup QB this year (at least not yet for Sloter).