Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking News - Teddy to the Big Easy!
Teddy Bridgewater signed a one year, $6 million contract with the Jets
on March 18, 2018. Bridgewater received a $500,000 signing bonus which
is the guaranteed portion of the contract.
The Saints take on the remaining $5 million of his contract.
https://overthecap.com/player/teddy-bridgewater/2971/

Contract Notes:
  • $250K/game he plays 50% of the snaps (max: $4M)
  • Passing Yards Incentives
    $250K for 2500 yds
    $500K for 2751 yds
    $1.25M for 3001 yds 
  • Touchdown Incentives:
    $250,000 for 10
    $500,000 for 16
    $1.25M for 21
  • $2.5M for 50% of snaps AND playoffs

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
Interesting.  I guess he's now Ok with being a backup.  I'd like Teddy backing up Cousins instead of what we have.
You think the Jets asked, to make sure he was ok with being a backup? I doubt he had a say, but I bet he prefers his new situation to the situation he had in New Jersey.

The saints? He's dead to me.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Teddy isn't going to play at all this year, but he can sit and keep safe another year. Good place for him. He might not play next year, either. Meantime, its a good backup for Brees. If they can work out a longer deal, then good for Teddy. 
Bridgewater is on a 1-year contract, so unless the Saints are extending him (or franchise him!), they won't have him under contract after 2018.

It's nice that he's still in the NFL, but I'm not sure it's a nice landing spot, because unless Brees gets hurt he won't play. That means he won't earn all those incentives in the contract he signed - $4M of his potential $6M is based on playing 50% of the snaps in a game ($250K per game). Backing up Brees means he might be paid no more than the $1M guaranteed in the contract. He will be a UFA next spring, but what kind of deal will he receive if he just held a clipboard all year?
Saints will likely re-do his deal. Otherwise they paid a helluva price for a 1-year backup. 
Yeah, I would wager they aren't throwing a 3rd away for a one year deal.  

Wish it were elsewhere so I could root for him. 

Yah, that's how I feel too. Not ever rooting for a Saint. I actually thought he could end-up in GB. 

I wonder...

Your a GM. You felt like you needed to make a splash in free agency at the QB position and drafted a QB; all while still have your starting QB from last season on roster. You get to camp and the rookie looks better than the veterans - a "splash" FA vs. the incumbent starter. You think, hell, McCown can be the backup; lets get something for this young promising QB.

... when weighing trade partners... does the thought of him hopefully not starting cross your mind?  Do you think for a moment, "we'll look like clowns if he leads [X] to the playoffs." When the Dolphins call, do you scoff and say "for you?! it'll take 3 picks!"

The Saints seem so random, I was kinda wondering if you'd settle for a marginally lesser offer to ship him somewhere for the sake of saving face.... haha, if there might be someone in the front office putting a secret premium on the value in that.

He's not a Viking no more.....who cares..

Quote: @"Mighty mouse" said:
Finally someone who feels the same way I do.  I know its not popular but I really don’t care about Teddy anymore.  I only care about the Vikings.

Quote: @"Purplewhizz" said:
@"Mighty mouse" said:
Finally someone who feels the same way I do.  I know its not popular but I really don’t care about Teddy anymore.  I only care about the Vikings.
I'm interested only because he's such a good kid. But I do not care about players that are ex-Vikings either. I move on extremely quickly. Morbid curiosity is what it is for me.

Quote: @"BlackMagic7" said:
I wonder...

Your a GM. You felt like you needed to make a splash in free agency at the QB position and drafted a QB; all while still have your starting QB from last season on roster. You get to camp and the rookie looks better than the veterans - a "splash" FA vs. the incumbent starter. You think, hell, McCown can be the backup; lets get something for this young promising QB.

... when weighing trade partners... does the thought of him hopefully not starting cross your mind?  Do you think for a moment, "we'll look like clowns if he leads [X] to the playoffs." When the Dolphins call, do you scoff and say "for you?! it'll take 3 picks!"

The Saints seem so random, I was kinda wondering if you'd settle for a marginally lesser offer to ship him somewhere for the sake of saving face.... haha, if there might be someone in the front office putting a secret premium on the value in that.
I'd bet that plays into it more than people think. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"BlackMagic7" said:
I wonder...

I'd bet that plays into it more than people think.
Trades between division rivals almost never happen. For the reasons Blackmagic stated. I don't think Teddy was the "splash" FA they were hoping for. However they did a great job handling his situation and got a 3rd round pick for him. The fact that the Saints gave up a 3rd tells me they don't intend for it to be a one year rental or it's a dumb move because Brees has been rock solid and starts ever game. It's a better place for Teddy. Maybe they extend him and he has a home. 
Good luck to him. Just why did it have to be the Saints?? Confused