Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our 12 Takeaways from the Seattle Game
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
lots of poor QBs have won games in the NFL... hell trent dilfer has a superbowl ring,  but I dont think Simien has shown anything ion preseason that suggests he would be a better option that Sloter at running the team for a spell if Kirk couldnt go.  people keep saying he has the experience,  but thats the funny thing about experience,  how does a young guy get some and if that is all the a vet has over a better talent, than what will that lead to?  honestly, this season is looking sketchy alread with the OL being what it is,  if Kirk goes down does it really matter who is the next in line?  IMO it might as well be the kid with the higher upside getting that ever valuable experience over the guy that has shown to be a #2 at best and only on a roster with an inexperienced #3.
Yes, but my point goes back to a guy name Matt Hasselbeck.  He was nicknamed Mr. August because he would always light it up in August.  Seattle traded for him and I think signed him to a large deal, but he struggled mightily in the regular season.  Easy to play fast and loose when there isn't a defense schemed up to take away your offense.  When you have to step to the line and read a defense before deciding where to go, that is a whole different story.

Yes Matt went on to be successful and a good QB, but it is just a shining example of physical abilities stand out in the preseason.  Mental abilities are needed to carry that into the regular season.  No one doubts Sloter's physical abilities.  But he may need another year or two of seasoning before he is ready for real football.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
lots of poor QBs have won games in the NFL... hell trent dilfer has a superbowl ring,  but I dont think Simien has shown anything ion preseason that suggests he would be a better option that Sloter at running the team for a spell if Kirk couldnt go.  people keep saying he has the experience,  but thats the funny thing about experience,  how does a young guy get some and if that is all the a vet has over a better talent, than what will that lead to?  honestly, this season is looking sketchy alread with the OL being what it is,  if Kirk goes down does it really matter who is the next in line?  IMO it might as well be the kid with the higher upside getting that ever valuable experience over the guy that has shown to be a #2 at best and only on a roster with an inexperienced #3.
Yes, but my point goes back to a guy name Matt Hasselbeck.  He was nicknamed Mr. August because he would always light it up in August.  Seattle traded for him and I think signed him to a large deal, but he struggled mightily in the regular season.  Easy to play fast and loose when there isn't a defense schemed up to take away your offense.  When you have to step to the line and read a defense before deciding where to go, that is a whole different story.

Yes Matt went on to be successful and a good QB, but it is just a shining example of physical abilities stand out in the preseason.  Mental abilities are needed to carry that into the regular season.  No one doubts Sloter's physical abilities.  But he may need another year or two of seasoning before he is ready for real football.
But at least he looks good in august.  Simien can't even look good right now.  I am not saying Sloter should be starting,  just that he looks to he ready for the next level of competition IMo.

Siemian looks like a guy with zero confidence in himself. He did win, with a stacked Broncos team after a super bowl win, so take that with a grain of salt.

He looks like he's lost, where Sloter is looking confident and poised. If you can't look good in August, not too good of a chance to look good when the games start to count. 

siemian's more christmas past than mr August his past experience and victories don't translate to current playing time in my book.  that analogy of teams scheming and taking sloter down in reg season would also work against siemian if push comes to shove.