Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Bad GMing here
I think it's a difference I what we want from our team.  I want a superbowl,  but I don't want to stick with talent for so long that it's no longer talent and not worth anything if we tried to trade it.  I want this team to do what it takes to keep the talent level as high as it can afford,  even if it means moving on of my favorite players to make room cap wise for several more high production guys and nets some premium picks or players in return.  Nobody is saying trade them no matter what, but certainly be open to offers.... or be open to first roundees netting us late third round picks in compensation for losing them via FA just as they themselves are entering their prime.

X isn't tradeable yet with his prorated signing bonus hanging over the team,  but I wouldn't be deaf to offers for other good players or even eventually X when it makes sense for the cap. 

I'm pretty sure we traded Kalil when he was in his prime, or maybe we just cut him  :p

the pats ditched moss and wilfork and so many others before they left their prime and made a killing doing so. 

like it or not, Zims no turnover D (personel, not turnovers) gets older every year and at some point we need to get something for the vets rather then let them leave for nothing like seatle has done with their D. 

I am going to be blunt, trading Xavier Rhodes or even considering it is idiotic. He is on a team friendly contract and is potentially the best CB in the game (top 5 at worst). The entire game is built around protecting the QB and preventing the QB from making plays. He takes away half the field on a weekly basis. You don't trade one of your best players under contract, ever. 

Quote: @"IDVikingfan" said:
We've spent many years looking for a shut down corner.  Now, we're gonna trade him away for picks that may or may not work out?  No way...
I don't remember having a better CB. Antoine Winfield was a fine CB but not a "shutdown" player. I remember Bobby Bryant and Nate Wright just a little. Carl Lee is the closest. Rhodes has All-Pro ability, perfect frame for today's big WRs. He could - I know, lot of things can happen - be a HOF CB. Trade him? In the words of Tom Arnold, I've got two words for that: In. Sane.

My point here wasn't that no good player should ever be traded away.

It's the notion that Waynes, whom I really, really like, could take his spot without a big drop-off. The kid is flat out not ready now and frankly may never be.

By comparison, Hunter could step in for EG with a much smaller drop off IMO.

But in both scenarios there is still drop off behind them. Alexander and Hughes. Brob and what, Weatherly or Bowers or Ogdenibo?

The depth is good but not ready to absorb losing an All-Pro in either the Secondary or D-Line TODAY. That may change in a year or two.

Frankly, I see no scenario where Minnesota could move a Starter on Defense to bolster the O-Line that wouldn't hurt that side of the ball except for Sendejo, and he's not bringing that type of return.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:

It's the notion that Waynes, whom I really, really like, could take his spot without a big drop-off. The kid is flat out not ready now and frankly may never be.

But in both scenarios there is still drop off behind them. Alexander and Hughes. Brob and what, Weatherly or Bowers or Ogdenibo?

The depth is good but not ready to absorb losing an All-Pro in either the Secondary or D-Line TODAY. That may change in a year or two.

Frankly, I see no scenario where Minnesota could move a Starter on Defense to bolster the O-Line that wouldn't hurt that side of the ball except for Sendejo, and he's not bringing that type of return.
you have to trust the draft process,  if you can get premium picks in return you have to trust your scouting dept to make sure that you make bank on those picks to replace your high priced vet that you trade away to keep the talent train coming.  sure you wont necessarily get an all pro,  but you should be able to get some good to great players entering their prime instead of playing out of theirs and get them at a more cap friendly price.

I know it sucks to think about trading away talent,  but it sucks more to think that we groom these first round picks and develop them into top tier talent( barr and waynes) and then lose them for what amounts to a fourth round draft pick.  I dont want to trade X,   but he is at the top tier of the pay scale and is getting towards the end of what is usually a prime career for DBs.  Depending how he looks this year I would think we need to at least entertain the offers if there are any.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"FSUVike" said:

you have to trust the draft process,  if you can get premium picks in return you have to trust your scouting dept to make sure that you make bank on those picks to replace your high priced vet that you trade away to keep the talent train coming.  sure you wont necessarily get an all pro,  but you should be able to get some good to great players entering their prime instead of playing out of theirs and get them at a more cap friendly price.

I know it sucks to think about trading away talent,  but it sucks more to think that we groom these first round picks and develop them into top tier talent( barr and waynes) and then lose them for what amounts to a fourth round draft pick.  I dont want to trade X,   but he is at the top tier of the pay scale and is getting towards the end of what is usually a prime career for DBs.  Depending how he looks this year I would think we need to at least entertain the offers if there are any.
That sounds nice, but I really don't think the Vikings, or any NFL team, can really count on "keeping the talent train coming". We've got some great players but, regardless of what Spielman can say, there was a LOT of luck involved in getting them. Best CB with the 23rd pick in a draft? Diggs in the 5th? Hunter in the 3rd? Having 2 talented DEs (themselves 4th-rounders) waiting when a coaching staff arrived to maximize their talents? Thielen UDFA? Cook sliding to round 2?

Some may say we got those guys because we have some superior system, but then why do we still pick duds like Treadwell or Kalil or Beavers? If Spielman has some new reliable system for predicting talent, why hasn't the rest of the league stolen it?
Every team hopes they can build a dynasty, but what I have seen in the post-FA NFL is that even when teams get controllable elements (good ownership, GM, and coach) in place, they need to catch lightning in a bottle to find a vein of young talent over 4-5 years, and that creates a (I know people hate this term) WINDOW where they can win. Seattle had it for a few years because they found Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor and Russell Wilson. Was their system superior? They can tell themselves that, if they want. I think they got very lucky, and they have slipped because they can't reproduce that luck. They might find it again, but there is no consistent, reliable talent train.
IMO, the Vikings are in the middle of a tremendous run of good fortune, but they need to take advantage of it, KEEP their best guys for this window, and try to win a championship or two while it lasts. Put another way: don't even talk to me about building a dynasty until we get just ONE championship.

PS: I know - New England. Yes, the exception which proves the rule. But do you notice they haven't ever traded away their best player, Brady? He could have been worth a bag of draft picks 8 years ago, maybe even 5 years. Why not send him packing, trust the talent train to find another? Because Belichick knows landing Brady (and him being willing to play at a sub-prime price) was the greatest stroke of luck in this century, maybe in the history of the NFL, and that they will NEVER be as lucky again.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"FSUVike" said:

That sounds nice, but I really don't think the Vikings, or any NFL team, can really count on "keeping the talent train coming". We've got some great players but, regardless of what Spielman can say, there was a LOT of luck involved in getting them. Best CB with the 23rd pick in a draft? Diggs in the 5th? Hunter in the 3rd? Having 2 talented DEs (themselves 4th-rounders) waiting when a coaching staff arrived to maximize their talents? Thielen UDFA? Cook sliding to round 2?

Some may say we got those guys because we have some superior system, but then why do we still pick duds like Treadwell or Kalil or Beavers? If Spielman has some new reliable system for predicting talent, why hasn't the rest of the league stolen it?
Every team hopes they can build a dynasty, but what I have seen in the post-FA NFL is that even when teams get controllable elements (good ownership, GM, and coach) in place, they need to catch lightning in a bottle to find a vein of young talent over 4-5 years, and that creates a (I know people hate this term) WINDOW where they can win. Seattle had it for a few years because they found Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor and Russell Wilson. Was their system superior? They can tell themselves that, if they want. I think they got very lucky, and they have slipped because they can't reproduce that luck. They might find it again, but there is no consistent, reliable talent train.
IMO, the Vikings are in the middle of a tremendous run of good fortune, but they need to take advantage of it, KEEP their best guys for this window, and try to win a championship or two while it lasts. Put another way: don't even talk to me about building a dynasty until we get just ONE championship.

PS: I know - New England. Yes, the exception which proves the rule. But do you notice they haven't ever traded away their best player, Brady? He could have been worth a bag of draft picks 8 years ago, maybe even 5 years. Why not send him packing, trust the talent train to find another? Because Belichick knows landing Brady (and him being willing to play at a sub-prime price) was the greatest stroke of luck in this century, maybe in the history of the NFL, and that they will NEVER be as lucky again.
Nobody is suggesting trading away a franchise QB,  I've never heard the term franchise CB...big difference in their impact on the game.  However New England has typically had no issue trading away other players that are pretty damn dominant at their position.

It's funny how pissy fans get about Treadwell or other draft picks that don't perform up to expectation,  but seem to not even want to consider options that might allow the team to keep some that  are playing like first rounders.

Oh well,  it's not happening, so no point in continuing the what ifs.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"FSUVike" said:

AGREED.

"Talent" is relative. I recall a few years ago, the Bengals were the "up and coming" team, just to name one. You need to f'ng WIN before you can be considered a WINNING team

I apparently am in the minority, but I continue to base my opinion of the Vikings on their ACTUAL RECORD/PERFORMANCE. 

That means PLAYOFF record. I acknowledge that a division title means a home playoff game. More coin in the Wilf's coffers, but after SOOOOO many 1 and dones or 1 and 1's, the expectation HAS to be Super Bowl or bust.

You do not sign yet ANOTHER FA QB for @30 Million per year (84M guaranteed) with the goal of NFCN "Champ". 

No spin doctoring.....It IS SB or bust this year. Let's see if they can handle the expectation.

Saint Richard.....It's FINALLY time for you to PUT UP OR SHUT UP! 

I dont care about the salary cap, average age of players, number of Pro Bowl players, how many total draft picks you have, or how many you WANT

JUST F@@#ing WIN!!!!