Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Bad GMing here
First there was the smattering of 'BRob gets cut to keep a 7th Round or UDFA who's never done squat in the League' posts.

Now I've read a few 'Trade Rhodes while his value is the highest and let Waynes take his spot' ideas. Um, no.

First, I (and Wetlander) where all over Minnesota picking Trae before anyone else was. We were right about the pick and have staunchly defended him his whole career.

But this dude is not XR 2.0.  In my opinion they're not even comperable. Xavier shut down Michael Floyd in college and dueled Hopkins and Watkins to a standstill. Granted, Alshon gave him some problems in a Bowl Game.

My point is that Rhodes was proven and polished coming out of college. His issue early in his NFL career was learning how to temper his physical style of play so he wasn't getting so many penalties. He has never been a 'make up for a mistake with speed' CB.

Waynes is exactly the opposite. He's physical when tackling, but not with WRs off the Line or on routes. His PI issues have been when he gets got off guard and doesn't trust his speed enough to let him recover. As Trae has learned to read schemes, routes and WRs better his cushion has decreased and the penalties have dropped. He's also learning to trust his recovery speed more.

None of that means he will ever have that dominating Alpha Male Shut Down Corner mentality. Nor does he have the requisite physicality with WRs that helps one get to that status.

What is Trae? Probably a Top 10 #2 CB with upside. Trading XR and counting on Waynes to fill his shoes is bad roster management. Hughes is already developing faster than Waynes. Keep him over Trae if there's a trade to be made for a mythical Starting O-Lineman who never gets hurt but is available for some arcane reason.

You get a true Shut Down Corner once every 10 or more years. Trade one away that you drafted while still in his prime and you will regret it.

whoa, thought this was a Spielman thread...  Wink B)  

I've seen a couple of forum members suggest it, but there is zero chance that happens this season so it really isn't a relevant discussion topic IMO. 

I always see the 'where I was right' threads from FSU....where are the 'where I was wrong' threads??  :3 Wink

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I always see the 'where I was right' threads from FSU....where are the 'where I was wrong' threads??  :3 Wink
Too many to list! Maybe my biggest was Harrison Smith. Thought Rick was nuts to trade up for him. Or Roanall Smith. Fell in love with the athleticism instead of the actual collegiate production.

Treadwell could be the next one. We'll see.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Too many to list! Maybe my biggest was Harrison Smith. Thought Rick was nuts to trade up for him. Or Roanall Smith. Fell in love with the athleticism instead of the actual collegiate production.

Treadwell could be the next one. We'll see.
I tease, brofus. I like your takes. They come from a good football mind. 

im one of the trade XR posters and i dont think nececarily this year. but next year when we need to start choosing who we’re going to keep and whos got to go doesnt it make sense to deal older players worth maximum value?

id say griffen should be on that list as well 

Sounds like something the Twins would do.  "Let's trade our best players or the guys playing well for some dudes that might be decent someday."

Not on board trading XR at all...I want all of my players - I'm a greedy MOFO. Enjoyed the OP FSU.. 

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
First there was the smattering of 'BRob gets cut to keep a 7th Round or UDFA who's never done squat in the League' posts.

Now I've read a few 'Trade Rhodes while his value is the highest and let Waynes take his spot' ideas. Um, no.

First, I (and Wetlander) where all over Minnesota picking Trae before anyone else was. We were right about the pick and have staunchly defended him his whole career.

But this dude is not XR 2.0.  In my opinion they're not even comperable. Xavier shut down Michael Floyd in college and dueled Hopkins and Watkins to a standstill. Granted, Alshon gave him some problems in a Bowl Game.

My point is that Rhodes was proven and polished coming out of college. His issue early in his NFL career was learning how to temper his physical style of play so he wasn't getting so many penalties. He has never been a 'make up for a mistake with speed' CB.

Waynes is exactly the opposite. He's physical when tackling, but not with WRs off the Line or on routes. His PI issues have been when he gets got off guard and doesn't trust his speed enough to let him recover. As Trae has learned to read schemes, routes and WRs better his cushion has decreased and the penalties have dropped. He's also learning to trust his recovery speed more.

None of that means he will ever have that dominating Alpha Male Shut Down Corner mentality. Nor does he have the requisite physicality with WRs that helps one get to that status.

What is Trae? Probably a Top 10 #2 CB with upside. Trading XR and counting on Waynes to fill his shoes is bad roster management. Hughes is already developing faster than Waynes. Keep him over Trae if there's a trade to be made for a mythical Starting O-Lineman who never gets hurt but is available for some arcane reason.

You get a true Shut Down Corner once every 10 or more years. Trade one away that you drafted while still in his prime and you will regret it.
I haven't heard anyone suggest that we trade Xavier.  But if I had... I would've given them the ol' "eye roll" treatment...  Wink

EDIT: Oops... I guess I should've kept reading.  Well, there go the eyes...