Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Peterson’s career is over, what will his legacy be?
Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@SFVikingFan said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@IDVikingfan said:
Maroon, for fairness and balance, make sure you tell your grandchildren about Peterson whipping his son with a switch.  Just cultural differences doncha know...  What happens on the field is all that matters...  He was a great football player but a terrible Dad.
Yeah, not to restart a topic this board has, well, beaten to death...that didn't enrage me the way it did others.  Peterson went too far and I think he probably realized that the minute he stopped. But I came from a family of Kansas farmers. It's how I was brought up. I got the switch many times. So did my father before me. And his father before him. Of course there were no photos to show the cuts and bruises. But time and culture changes. I wouldn't dream of hitting my kids. 
The bigger difference is it sounds like your father was your father year round. Married to your mother and a presence in the home. This kid was a 4 year old sent off to bond with his father a couple times a year. Harsh discipline is easier to except and learn from when dished out from someone who's a big part of your life. What could this 4 year old have learned from this visit?  I don't want to reopen any old wounds rehashed here. I wasn't here hashing then. I just couldn't look at him the same after that. That my take on him. He is the greatest RB we ever had. He was also seriously flawed morally in my eyes. More then how and when he decided to be a father.  
Yeah, it's hard to be a good father when you are basically out of your childrens' lives.  As a father of two young children, I look pretty harshly at men who go around getting multiple women pregnant and being mostly or completely absent from those kids' lives.  Plus then his children wouldn't be living with their moms' boyfriends who a lot of the times don't have the child's best interests at heart.  That exact situation definitely turned out horrifically for one of his children.  What he did on the football field is of far less significance in the big picture of things.

And that's not even mentioning his severe limitations on the field, or whipping his boy, or holding out for a pay raise after being suspended for a year, or the slavery comment, or........

2013 was really the last year that I was a fan of Adrian Peterson.
Yep he made himself hard to love. I separate the on field from the off. He gave me many great memories on the field. Some not so great off.
He made it hard to separate the on from the off.  Easier to cheer for a good guy like Teddy.  But in context of sheer football enjoyment, Peterson was a right there with Jim Brown as the top RB of all time.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@IDVikingfan said:
Maroon, for fairness and balance, make sure you tell your grandchildren about Peterson whipping his son with a switch.  Just cultural differences doncha know...  What happens on the field is all that matters...  He was a great football player but a terrible Dad.
Yeah, not to restart a topic this board has, well, beaten to death...that didn't enrage me the way it did others.  Peterson went too far and I think he probably realized that the minute he stopped. But I came from a family of Kansas farmers. It's how I was brought up. I got the switch many times. So did my father before me. And his father before him. Of course there were no photos to show the cuts and bruises. But time and culture changes. I wouldn't dream of hitting my kids. 
The bigger difference is it sounds like your father was your father year round. Married to your mother and a presence in the home. This kid was a 4 year old sent off to bond with his father a couple times a year. Harsh discipline is easier to except and learn from when dished out from someone who's a big part of your life. What could this 4 year old have learned from this visit?  I don't want to reopen any old wounds rehashed here. I wasn't here hashing then. I just couldn't look at him the same after that. That my take on him. He is the greatest RB we ever had. He was also seriously flawed morally in my eyes. More then how and when he decided to be a father.  
Yeah, turns out there are a hundred different viewpoints on that. I sorta come from the starting point of trying to respect other cultures, religions, belief systems even if I don't share them. I suspect a lot of folks put malice into Peterson's actions, and I doubt that's the case. He was likely just parenting the way he was parented. Doesn't really excuse what he did, but if you want to know why it doesn't make me crazy like it does some, well there ya go. And I couldn't give a damn how many kids or wives he had. 
Yeah I agree it got turned into a nation debate. You don't go tell'en us how to raise our kids. Old culture vs new. South vs north...ect. It was an embarrassment I hated hearing in the end. This was the face of our franchise. Lots of people were rubbing egg in our face.
I am from the north and defended the butt whooping,  the kid was being a little shit and needed some punishment, but conceded that he went to far.  However... I dont agree with him spreading his seed so recklessly.  IMO perhaps the young boy that was overly aggressive with his smaller half sibling wouldnt have been that way if he had been raised with a father around from day 1 to help mold his behavior.  

where AD actually lost me were his comments all along about not being supported by the team and then him going to jerruh trying to arrange a way out of minny.... at that point... and somewhat still.. fuck adrian peterson.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@IDVikingfan said:
Yeah, turns out there are a hundred different viewpoints on that. I sorta come from the starting point of trying to respect other cultures, religions, belief systems even if I don't share them. I suspect a lot of folks put malice into Peterson's actions, and I doubt that's the case. He was likely just parenting the way he was parented. Doesn't really excuse what he did, but if you want to know why it doesn't make me crazy like it does some, well there ya go. And I couldn't give a damn how many kids or wives he had. 
Yeah I agree it got turned into a nation debate. You don't go tell'en us how to raise our kids. Old culture vs new. South vs north...ect. It was an embarrassment I hated hearing in the end. This was the face of our franchise. Lots of people were rubbing egg in our face.
I am from the north and defended the butt whooping,  the kid was being a little shit and needed some punishment, but conceded that he went to far.  However... I dont agree with him spreading his seed so recklessly.  IMO perhaps the young boy that was overly aggressive with his smaller half sibling wouldnt have been that way if he had been raised with a father around from day 1 to help mold his behavior.  

where AD actually lost me were his comments all along about not being supported by the team and then him going to jerruh trying to arrange a way out of minny.... at that point... and somewhat still.. fuck adrian peterson.
I don't know what happened at that house. Or why he felt the need for such punishment. I was raised in Minnesota. I do believe a slap on tha butt is ok for a 4 year old. With your hand.
I think the north that was most vocal was the northeast. Midwest is north but different culture the northeast.

Either:
Orange Peanut

or

Caring father of a small village

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Time heals all ills. I've never completely understood why people turned on him in the first place, so I don't need the time. I'll remember him as the best running back we've ever had. The best combination of speed and power the NFL has ever seen. I'll tell my grandchildren that I watched his every carry in purple. I'll tell them about 296. I'll ask them if they want to see a BAD, BAD man and show them the one clip William Gay doesn't allow in his house. 

This never gets old...

Gay basher

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@MaroonBells said:
Time heals all ills. I've never completely understood why people turned on him in the first place, so I don't need the time. I'll remember him as the best running back we've ever had. The best combination of speed and power the NFL has ever seen. I'll tell my grandchildren that I watched his every carry in purple. I'll tell them about 296. I'll ask them if they want to see a BAD, BAD man and show them the one clip William Gay doesn't allow in his house. 

This never gets old...

Man, that just makes me giggle every time I see that. 

Great player, ignorant man, piss poor father. 

Camel jockey?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@IDVikingfan said:
We got the belt growing up. And if that big, fat belt buckle buckle hit you, omg that hurt like hell. I never hit my son. Another appalling thing about the whole situation is someone with access posted the photos online. That little boy will carry that forever. And of course the little boy who lost his life to some despicable POS. That's heartbreaking and disgusting at the same time.