Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Peterson’s career is over, what will his legacy be?
When the Vikings made it official that they were moving on from Peterson in March 2017, general manager Rick Spielman put the team’s 2007 first-round pick in the category of the best players in the franchise’s existence.
There’s a fascinating dichotomy about Peterson’s time in Minnesota. On one hand, the Vikings’ future Hall of Fame running back ran away with the title of the team’s best running back. The next best runner Robert Smith has nearly 5,000 less yards on the ground. Two players — Chuck Foreman and Bill Brown — are tied for second place behind AP in rushing touchdowns with 52, Peterson has 97 TDs. He’s pretty far ahead of Foreman in Football Reference’s Approximate Value with 104, compared to Foreman’s 90. And he’s No. 1 in yards per carry despite some down years in that category recently.

Aside from two years with Brett Favre, the Vikings’ running back was the face of its franchise. What luck for the club to have another superhuman megastar to follow Randy Moss’s incredible career. But the other side of the coin is that the Vikings simply didn’t win with Peterson as their centerpiece.
Without Favre, they won zero playoff games. He fumbled twice in the Vikings’ famous loss to New Orleans in ’09 and once in the near-win against Seattle in 2015. Overall in the postseason, Peterson averaged 10 yards less per game in the playoffs than regular season and 1.3 yards less per carry. His lone playoff game over 100 yards was the Saints loss.
Not to mention that in five playoff games, he managed just six catches on 10 targets for 54 yards.
It’s hard to form one player’s legacy based on team wins. It’s not Peterson’s fault that his career opened in a year in which Tarvaris Jackson, Kelly Holcomb and Brooks Bollinger all played quarterback. It isn’t his fault the team drafted Christian Ponder. It isn’t his fault Favre threw across his body or that Blair Walsh missed a 27-yard kick. He also didn’t play any role on the 2013 defense, which finished 32nd in the NFL.
But it’s also hard to ignore that the greatest times of Peterson’s career were often forgettable for his organization.
And it’s also hard not to wonder if his totals were pumped up by a lack of a passing game and whether his team’s passing game would have been better if the quarterbacks had a running back who was willing to block or was dangerous in the passing game.
Through the eyes of Vikings fans, there always seems to be a prevailing “yeah, but…” to Peterson’s legacy that’s hard to shake.
The national lens sees Peterson more favorably. It focuses more on his individual accomplishments, like breaking the single-game record for rushing, averaging 6.0 yards per carry or likely being the last ever to run for 2,000-plus yards.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...ll-legacy/

For both Vikings fans and outside observers, the highlight reels will live on. Peterson had 15 touchdown runs that went for over 50 yards and 21 that went more than 30 yards. That’s only one fewer from 50-plus than Barry Sanders. And he did them with a power/grace combination that was virtually unmatched in history.

If AP is done, he will go out as one of the few players whose jersey will be worn by fans 20 years from now. He will get a gold jacket in his first year eligible. He will be in the ring of honor and give a speech at the US Bank Stadium 50 yard line.

His highlight-reel runs will be remembered and missed, and his drama will be remembered and not missed. But for the most part, the Vikings’ success last year and expectations for this season had fans moving on pretty quickly, as they always do.

I think it depends on who you talk to. Some Vikings fans appreciate the player but the person not so much. Other people have no beef with him and appreciate his efforts. It's definitely polarizing though. 

I would still put Moss ahead if AD in terms of greatest Viking and wouldn't argue if others brought up guys from the 70s.  He was great at what he did,  but never really turned into a great Viking IMO.

None cheered harder than me when we drafted him....but him leaving was a relief.  Our time with AD was definitely a roller coaster of  emotions for most fans myself included and fair or not those low points will certainly contribute  in defining his legacy.

I agree with Jimmy. Moss was the most exciting player the Vikings ever had. AD is 2nd. Carter the most consistent. Forman the most versatile. Many blame AD or outright hate him for team failures. I never did. It all changed after the year he was sat down when he beat his kid for me. He was no longer the smiling happy guy who ran angry. He was always a me 1st kind of guy. I just ignored it. He played during a time the team was adrift. No direction or plan. Only plan they had was give him the ball and get out of the way. Against stacked fronts he broke teams backs. Many disliked him because he was so overpaid. Like the team really had any other marketable stars to pay. They couldn't draft or FA themselves jack $hit. They could have spent it elsewhere. Would it have made us better? They got luck once with AP.  Then he became unmarketable about the time the team finally got a vision and a identity. Then his time was done. Great player less great human will be how I remember him. That's on him not me.
I will always wonder if they could have had a better team around him what would have happened. Alas,  It may have only hastened his departure.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
I agree with Jimmy. Moss was the most exciting player the Vikings ever had. AD is 2nd. Carter the most consistent. Forman the most versatile. Many blame AD or outright hate him for team failures. I never did. It all changed after the year he was sat down when he beat his kid for me. He was no longer the smiling happy guy who ran angry. He was always a me 1st kind of guy. I just ignored it. He played during a time the team was adrift. No direction or plan. Only plan they had was give him the ball and get out of the way. Against stacked fronts he broke teams backs. Many disliked him because he was so overpaid. Like the team really had any other marketable stars to pay. They couldn't draft or FA themselves jack $hit. They could have spent it elsewhere. Would it have made us better? They got luck once with AP.  Then he became unmarketable about the time the team finally got a vision and a identity. Then his time was done. Great player less great human will be how I remember him. That's on him not me.
I will always wonder if they could have had a better team around him what would have happened. Alas,  It may have only hastened his departure.
Pretty darn good breakdown here, sun coast. I agree. 

Will AP be the last time a RB is the face of a franchise? Zeke in Dallas? Bell in Pitt?

It's hard to imagine too many more with the league as pass happy as it is now and RB's asked to be multi-dimensional.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Will AP be the last time a RB is the face of a franchise? Zeke in Dallas? Bell in Pitt?

It's hard to imagine too many more with the league as pass happy as it is now and RB's asked to be multi-dimensional.
You mean an old-school non-receiving RB?  I don't think there will be many more guys like AD that are so excellent as an I formation runner and weak at everything else that are successful.  I think there will be a ton of multidimensional RBs that are faces of the franchise.  It's just too hard to be a good QB, there will always be teams that need to lean on their RBs.

I do agree that Peterson will probably be remembered more fondly by the national audience than by Vikings fans, because we're more acutely aware of his limitations as a player than other people are, whereas they probably only remember the highlight reels, but I don't think people will be including him in the "Greatest RBs of All Time" discussions, like people were suggesting earlier in his career.  I think he has fallen out of that category into that second tier of HOF RBs.

Time heals all ills. I've never completely understood why people turned on him in the first place, so I don't need the time. I'll remember him as the best running back we've ever had. The best combination of speed and power the NFL has ever seen. I'll tell my grandchildren that I watched his every carry in purple. I'll tell them about 296. I'll ask them if they want to see a BAD, BAD man and show them the one clip William Gay doesn't allow in his house.