Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFLDG Mock Draft 2.0
I love the first 3 picks in this mock, Guru.

Goedert looks like the next Travis Kelce.  I'd have no problem adding him with an early pick, whether that's at 30 or with a small trade back.  I get some of the criticism about grabbing an impact player for THIS year because historically rookie TEs haven't done much out of the gates...  but this guy is another weapon that needs to be accounted for in an offense filled with playmakers.  Plus, Rudy is only signed thru 2019 IIRC...  How nice would it be to have an elite receiving TE next season.

Also, I'm higher on Wadley than some of you too.  If we're getting a shifty receiving back with solid speed that late, sign me up.  He's a different kind of back than Cook and Murray.  If we bypass some of the mid-round RBs, he's a solid option. 

I like the Goedert pick. DeFilippo utilizes a lot of multiple TE sets and we really don't have anyone who could fill the move TE role. Plus, while Rudolph has been better recently, he tends to get banged up every year and we haven't had someone who could really step up when he slows down or misses a game or two. A very intriguing pick that would give our offense yet another wrinkle that defenses need to prepare for along with a QB who can actually spread the ball.

OL is still my first choice for the 1st round, but Goedert would be at the top of my list of skill players at the end of the round 1. I understand the rationale about taking yet another corner, but I wouldn't be enthused about it.

The rest of the picks all seem solid and I like that you managed to hit all of the primary areas of need. My only complaint would be not taking an OT sooner, but it's difficult to get the draft to match with your needs and at least there is some more competition. I still worry about the OL being a weakspot, especially now that we've lost Keenum's mobility, which was hiding a lot of issues as the injuries piled up.

I read an article about Cousin’s doing a lot of double TE sets with the Skins and liking them.  Like you I think O line is the need but if its a skill player, I am intrigued with the possibilities this guy brings. TE/Slot/outside.  

Double tight end with Rudolph and Morgan with Geodert in the slot?  Crazy stuff

Don 't think Wadley will be there that late... even at his small size, a 2-time 1,000 yd rusher who can catch is going to go higher. I'd be happy if we got him at 167. 

Quote: @Poiple said:
@dadevike said:
I would be stunned and pretty disappointed if Goedert was our pick in round 1. I would rather trade down for more picks or up for a better pick. 
Because we dont need another pass catcher and red zone threat or because we TE isnt a need or because you dont like Geodert in general?
Nothing against DG. I think he is a good player. So is Gesicki, Andrews, Hurst, Fumagali, and Ian Thomas.  Quite a few good TEs in this draft. DG looks good but TE is not a big need, at least not like CB and OL. I don’t think I would take one before the 3rd round.  

Quote: @dadevike said:
@Poiple said:
@dadevike said:
I would be stunned and pretty disappointed if Goedert was our pick in round 1. I would rather trade down for more picks or up for a better pick. 
Because we dont need another pass catcher and red zone threat or because we TE isnt a need or because you dont like Geodert in general?
Nothing against DG. I think he is a good player. So is Gesicki, Andrews, Hurst, Fumagali, and Ian Thomas.  Quite a few good TEs in this draft. DG looks good but TE is not a big need, at least not like CB and OL. I don’t think I would take one before the 3rd round.  
Its going to be very interesting to see how the regime decides to fill out the roster.  Hopefully after the draft they are able to pick up a few more quality guys.

Quote: @RS Express said:
Don 't think Wadley will be there that late... even at his small size, a 2-time 1,000 yd rusher who can catch is going to go higher. I'd be happy if we got him at 167. 
We'll see. He will go off the board somewhere in the 5th/6th. His draft stock is somewhat tied to the board last year where good runners dropped to the later rounds due to the depth at the position. In another strong class and less teams in need of RB's compared to last year, RB's after the 3rd may fall about 1/2 round. 

Quote: @dadevike said:
@Poiple said:
@dadevike said:
I would argue that if they don't take a TE in the first three rounds they'd be best off passing on the position until the 6th/7th. There are some athletic guys that are incredibly raw that they could stash and develop. The Vikings specifically want a receiving TE and the list you put together above outside of Andrews/Fumagali will be gone by the end of the 2nd round.  

Maybe Goedert is faster now that his hamstring is better?  I just saw a basketball player doing TE stuff.  That could work.  I saw more mismatch potential in Hurst and Gesicki because of their speed and explosiveness.  Those guys are really good in their own right.  DG has some specialness, but several other guys were so much faster on tape I maybe overlooked him. 

I wonder... does Goedert or DJ Moore offer more to the offense in Year One?

I wonder if The Team asked themselves that question and then went out and signed Wright and King? (Advantage Goedert)

I had cautiously-high hopes for Bucky Hodges, even though I saw the flaws.  He didn't need to be great, he just needed to be a huge target with some wheels, I rationalized.

I always think that move TE guy can be found late, but it aint happening.  DG has nice awareness and body control.  I didn't see much route running or blocking, but it probably wasn't emphasized.

I like Dawson at nickle and dime.  I also like taking a chance on Desmond Harrison late.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@dadevike said:
@Poiple said:
@dadevike said:
I would argue that if they don't take a TE in the first three rounds they'd be best off passing on the position until the 6th/7th. There are some athletic guys that are incredibly raw that they could stash and develop. The Vikings specifically want a receiving TE and the list you put together above outside of Andrews/Fumagali will be gone by the end of the 2nd round.  
Geoff, do you have DG as the no. 1 TE? I’m not saying that’s wrong, but I’m also not sure I would agree. But assuming you do, presumably you have him as the first TE coming off the board, and you have him at 30.  So if we passed on TE in the first, I doubt NE or Philly would take one. Then no TEs would go in round 1.  And that would not surprise me at all. 

I agree that 3 TEs may go in the second round, maybe even before we pick. I would be very surprised if 4 were taken by the end of the second. I would not be surprised if only 2 were taken.  Third round may be the sweet spot for us to take a TE.