Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Priefer Wants Cook To Return Kicks
Quote: @"AllBS" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
My guess is Fruechte is gone.  He has nice general skills,  but nothing really special enough that puts him on an NFL roster IMO.  With Treadwell, Floyd, Diggs, Thielen, and Wright pretty much locks,  I see the team keeping their last receiver spot for one of the 2 rookies,  and even though Fruechte is PS eligible,  I dont know if the team would use a spot on him his third year.

also.... no love for Boehringer this offseason?  I dont think I have heard him mentioned in any conversations or stories regard the receiver corp.  :'(
I like Moritz.  Maybe it's me rooting for the underdog, but his raw physical gifts would be awesome to play with, if he can develop them.  If Moritz makes the team, I don't see him as a KR guy.  Gunner, maybe. 
its hard not to root for the kid,  but he was really really raw,  I dont think people can appreciate how far from field ready he was without seeing him in person.  I think he will look much better this year, but its going to take quite a bit for him to make the roster.  I dont know if he has much change of direction in him,  he was so much faster than everybody else in his German league that all he really did was catch the ball and run away from people,  but his speed isnt as big of a factor in the NFL so I dont know if he would be a legit KR candidate or not.  likely not.

Quote: @"NFL Draft Guru" said:
Yes, Cook is going to have the chance to ascend to RB1 but in the meantime its not a crazy idea to have him compete for the KR job. He is obviously explosive and works well in space which would suggest he'd be a natural. The only drawback is that he has enough speed but doesn't have that electric speed to run away from the fastest players. Someone needs to compete with Rodney Adams, why not Cook? 

As for Sherels, returning kicks is very different than returning punts. On the KR you're looking for someone that has the ability to read blocks, has the ability to make people miss 1x1, and the size to run through arm tackles. Sherels is sure handed and can make someone miss in the hole, but he doesn't have the size/speed to defeat tacklers by outrunning their angles. 
Yep, PR is about sure hands with defenders bearing down, making a move to make 1 guy miss and then picking your way through the trash.

KR is speed, recognizing the hole, getting through it and more speed.

As to the OP, does anyone else wonder if the reporter is making a story where there isn't one?  In this slow time, imagine someone asking Priefer if Cook is going to return kicks.  He responds with a "I wish Zimmer would let me use him" and suddenly that is a campaign.

I say if Cook is the best option to return kicks, have at it.  Like someone posted earlier anything to help the team win.

Sorry mine is not the popular opinion, but in special teams the bodies fly...it's a friggin' war zone.
Quote: @"Bezerker88" said:
@"Vanguard83" said:
F that.

Remind me how Chad Greenway was hurt again after we drafted him???? Special teams / kick return if I'm not mistaken.

Hell to the NO
Should the Vikings allow Teddy to drop back and throw during practice? 
With all respect, Apples and Oranges IMO.  of course he's going to throw passes..he's a QB.
There is a difference (again, my opinion) between a RB, a PR, and a KR.

Some positional skills translate to special teams (DB's / WR's & gunner) ...yeah, I get that. But when your trying to improve on a league low running game I just feel it's an unwarranted risk.

I just don't want our RB on special teams with bodies flyin' around, that's all.

Football injuries happen all the time, game day or not was my point.  Cook could just as easily get dinged in practice as he could returning a kick.  If he returns kicks and is great at it... it helps the Vikings with 3 wins that they wouldn't have had won.  Taking an 8-8 team to 11-5 or a 10-6 team to a home field throughout the playoffs team.   Would that be worth it?  Is not playing him worth going 8-8 again?  IMO no.... now if there isn't much difference between his output and the player the Vikings will use,,, then no, he doesn't need to be put at risk as he is also going to play an important role on Offense.  Diggs or Cook?  Cook, Diggs is not built for that type of contact.  Mckinnon or Cook.  Cook unless he proves he is not a return man, Mckinnon has shown he cannot run thru contact.  Sherels or Cook.  Cook.  Sherels "struggles" on kickoffs, much better punt returner.  Put the players on the field that can help you win... let the injuries come as they always do. 

Sherels' career KR average would have placed him top 5 last year if you look at returners who had 20+ returns...wouldn't be shocked in the least if he is the KR when we face N.O. in the opener...

What in the Jason Sehorn is Priefer thinking?  

I sure hope this doesn't mean: "our kicking game sucks!"  Wink

Sherels in mix to return kicks?

The Vikings are entering the 2017 in search for a new kickoff returner after the departure of Cordarrelle Patterson for the Raiders and are looking at multiple options.

Marcus Sherels, who has been one of the best punt returners in the game, joined rookies Rodney Adams and Stacy Coley, as well as Isaac Fruechte in kickoff return drills on Friday.

Sherels returned 16 kickoffs 445 yards (27.8 average) in the 2011 season and 16 more for 422 yards (26.4 average) in the following year before the Vikings drafted Patterson. Since then, Sherels has returned eight additional kickoffs a total of 178 yards.

He later showed his nifty footwork by eluding Trae Waynes and rookie Eric Wilson in a containment drill and capped his day with an impressive pass breakup against Cayleb Jones on a pass from Taylor Heinicke.