Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Priefer Wants Cook To Return Kicks
Dalvin Cook - RB - Vikings
Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer is campaigning coach Mike Zimmer to allow him to use rookie Dalvin Cook on kick returns.

One of the best STs coaches in the league, Priefer admitted he's not holding his breath that Zimmer will allow it. Cook is in the mix, if not the favorite, to be the Vikings' No. 1 running back, which would surely mean he won't be on returns. Minnesota is looking for a replacement for Pro Bowl returner Cordarrelle Patterson. Rookie WR Rodney Adams is considered the lead man for the job.

Source: Sirius XM NFL Radio Jul 18 - 9:17 PM

Wonder if this is just trying to get the best man to do the job or is this his way of saying that Adams doesn't look the greatest.
Either way, Cook is not going to be returning kicks IMO.

Good luck with that Priefer...  I could see certain situations where we might have Cook take one like AD did early in his career, but not as a full time KR.

The weird thing about all this is Sherels has done a good job when called upon...why not just hand it to him?

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Good luck with that Priefer...  I could see certain situations where we might have Cook take one like AD did early in his career, but not as a full time KR.

My initial thoughts for sure. Maybe one if the game is close and we need a boost or something. Not sure you are going to put your weapon on offense out there to be a sitting duck.

How About a F no...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
The weird thing about all this is Sherels has done a good job when called upon...why not just hand it to him?

Sherels is an ELITE punt returner...  but I haven't been impressed with his kick returns the past couple seasons.  I guess I would like to see McKinnon and Adams for that role.  Someone with a little more "juice"...

Cook in not expendable to be put in that position of returning kicks, risking injury and probably on his way to being a featured running back.  Sherels, McKinnon, Adams or anyone else...not so much that it will effect the whole as a team.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Sherels is an ELITE punt returner...  but I haven't been impressed with his kick returns the past couple seasons.  I guess I would like to see McKinnon and Adams for that role.  Someone with a little more "juice"...
I agree,  Sherels KR attempts have not been that impressive from my memory.  His abilities on PR dont seem to work well in a KR situation where he needs to eat a bunch of ground,  make a quick move and then get up field.

I have no problem with this... if it helps the team.  No player is above playing a position that the coaches think will help the team win.