Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins to the Vikings already a done deal?
I'll leave it at this. If the Vikings sign Cousins to a fully guaranteed $90+M over 3 years they'll have their credibility questioned by the rest of the league. That would be a 50% increase to Matt Stafford's guaranteed money on a contract that is two years shorter. If Cousins reps are even going to suggest a fully guaranteed contract it's going to be in the range of $25M/yr. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I'll leave it at this. If the Vikings sign Cousins to a fully guaranteed $90+M over 3 years they'll have their credibility questioned by the rest of the league. That would be a 50% increase to Matt Stafford's guaranteed money on a contract that is two years shorter. If Cousins reps are even going to suggest a fully guaranteed contract it's going to be in the range of $25M/yr. 
It will be interesting. Everyone taking some sick days next week starting on Wednesday?  :p

Quote: @Ilovebigtd's said:
please stay away from cousins
Adam Schein, NFL.com
The Vikings were a game away from reaching Super Bowl LII. But let's be honest: They were a really good team that took advantage of some luck. Aaron Rodgerscollarbone injury helped clear the Packersaway as an obstacle in the NFC North, while the play that propelled Minnesota to the NFC title game was literally dubbed a miracle. And then the Vikings got their doors blown off by the Eagles. Good teams and executives aren't satisfied with merely getting close -- they move forward. Consider what the Boston Celtics did after landing the No. 1 seed in the NBA's Eastern Conference playoffs last season. They changed the entire roster and got better. The Vikingsknow they have to do the same thing, specifically by upgrading at the quarterback position, as all three signal-callers from 2017 are hitting the market. And general manager Rick Spielman will get his man. 
Thanks to the foolishness of the RedskinsKirk Cousins is about to become that rarest of things: a free-agent franchise quarterback. I called the Vikingsthe odds-on favorites to land Cousins on my SiriusXM radio show on Feb. 21, and nothing has changed since. Sure, the Jets -- who are projected to have more salary-cap space than the Vikings, per Over the Cap -- will offer Cousins more money. But when I talked to Cousins on my show in the week of the Super Bowl, he stressed that winning is his top priority. I believe that. Beyond Cousins being a Midwestern guy, the Vikings have a top-five defense, a solid receiver corps, a legit pass-catching tight end, a young stud at running back and a great head coach and offensive coordinator.
Without Cousins, Minnesota is a wild-card contender. With him, Minnesota is a legit Super Bowlcontender. It's go time!

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Cooley said an agent told him Vikings offering Cuz 3Y/$91M fully g'teed.
"OK, Kirk, I did it. I told the media that an agent told me you've been offered 91M fully guaranteed. We'll see what the Jets offer is...."

"Thanks Chris. Now, there's a big hayfield up near Buxton...One in particular. It's got a long rock wall, a big oak tree at the north end. In the base of that wall, you'll find a rock that has no earthly business in a Maine hayfield. A piece of black, volcanic glass. There's something buried under it I want you to have."

I'm honestly shocked that more fans aren't in favor of signing Cousins...  he is one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL since he became a starter.  The Vikings have two of the best WRs in the NFL in contested catches and can make plays downfield.  These offensive skill players made Bradford and Keenum have career years...  and those seasons weren't even as good as Cousins has been the past three years.  I don't know why fans are expecting Cousins to play worse than he did with the Skins.  He's an upgrade.  I would much rather pay him 27 million per year than Case 20 million per year over a 3-5 year contract.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I'm honestly shocked that more fans aren't in favor of signing Cousins...  he is one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL since he became a starter.  The Vikings have two of the best WRs in the NFL in contested catches and can make plays downfield.  These offensive skill players made Bradford and Keenum have career years...  and those seasons weren't even as good as Cousins has been the past three years.  I don't know why fans are expecting Cousins to play worse than he did with the Skins.  He's an upgrade.  I would much rather pay him 27 million per year than Case 20 million per year over a 3-5 year contract.
That's exactly what I said.

If the Vikings thoroughly pored over all their film and analytics and doctors' reports, which I suspect they did, and decided that Cousins was the best option, then I feel pretty confident that this is the right decision. OK, the "best" decision, considering we're in a win-now mode. 

I'm actually pretty excited about how he will look in this offense. 

Doesn't mean there isn't still this itch in the back of my brain that is telling me that in 2 or 3 years, we're going to regret giving up on Teddy Bridgewater. 

I haven't seen anything about Cousins being one of the best deep ball throwers.  Would you happen to have a source?

Here's what find:
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/index....rk-cousins

https://brickwallblitz.com/2017/03/26/th...roject-13/

It seems like PFF had him at #10 for last year (pay wall) and the deep ball project isn't out yet.

What i feel certain about is that Cousins will get a contract with the highest amount of guaranteed money per year in NFL history

Huh?  Keenum had a lot better year last season than Cousins did.  And Cousins has regressed each of the past three years in QB rating and even more so in QBR.  People like to criticize some of Keenum's interceptions on this board, but some of the ones that Cousins threw last year are just downright inexcusable.  He seems pretty easily rattled IMO.

Plus Kirk has played under some pretty highly-regarded coaches, and has been surrounded by some pretty good talent for the most part, and has never managed a better record than 9-7.  I've also heard rumors of locker room drama and finger-pointing between Cousins and other players.

I'm not saying he's all bad, and he has shown some promising signs, but I think he has enough possible red flags that make a lot of people cautious about signing him, especially when he is going to command so much of the salary cap at a time the Vikings will need to re-sign a lot of their young, talented core.

I have to say that if the only option that RS is looking at is 16+ to Keenum..... screw that,   in the immortal words of john malkovich...nyet! pay that mayn is money...