Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Case For and Against Tagging Keenum
Cousins will get money he can't refuse from either the Jets or Broncos.

Minnesota will sign Case to a multi-year deal with an early out. He will regress into what I'm going to call Andy Dalton 2.0, good enough to get to the Playoffs, not good enough to get to the Super Bowl.

In a few years Minnesota will be looking to Draft a QB to compete with Sloter, who hasn't developed as much as the team would like.

If you look in your heart you know that this is the most likely outcome. And as Vikings fans we should be used to it by now but it will hurt any way. Sad

Quote: @VikeMike52 said:
Thanks Geoff.  Maybe it's just me but it seemed that Case faded toward the end of the year.  It just scares me that he may really fall off without Schurmer.  I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.  I just hope that somehow they can find a long term answer, whomever it may be.  They could use the consistency.

I wonder if Keenum benefited from a form of "first time around" through the middle 2/3 of 2017. I know, he was not a rookie, NFL coaches had seen him before, but he had taken a step forward with Shurmur and was definitely better than in his earlier stints. But was it boosted by that freshness? I don't really fear Keenum falling back to the 54% passer he was in Houston, but I think he could fall back to 60% and more interceptions/TD.

All this talk of Case regressing to the mean doesn't make sense to me.  What mean?  He hasn't played enough games to have established a mean.

It's not like he's been around for 10 years and just had his first good year.  Before this year, Teddy had started 28 games to Keenum's 24.  But yet Teddy is still considered by some to be on this meteoric rise and franchise QB development path (after not playing for two years), while Case is going to suddenly implode and become the QB he was during his first 24 starts while on some terrible Rams and Texans teams.

First, Teddy was on some pretty damned talent poor Offenses too. And don't bring up AP. Case had Gurley last year and that didn't exactly lead to a career year.

Second, Case hit DBs in the hands about six times last year that didn't result in interceptions. Can't count on that again.

Third, he tends to lock onto receivers early instead of going through progressions, which Teddy was doing very well for a young QB. Teams now have a lot more tape on Keenum and will take advantage of that tendency.

Third, Diggs and Thielen were both. Top 5 in contested catches. Some were Case putting the ball in a spot where they could make a play....but far too many were pop flies that were the result of not having a strong arm or going for a home run while under pressure. That's not sustainable and not talking full advantage of having the best WR duo in the League. You need someone who can hit them in stride down the field to maximize YAC, not toss up one jump ball after another.

Finally, he's not a good game manager when you need him to be. The picks against Washington with a big lead. Taking sacks to knock the Offense out of FG range because he's holding the ball too long looking for the Hero Play instead of the smart play. Ignoring wide open checksowns on early downs to throw to guys who are covered.

Love the heart. Love how great a teammate he is. Love the shiftiness in the pocket. It's not enough to balance out the bad tendencies and shortcomings on a long term basis in my opinion.

Give me Kirk, healthy Sam, healthy Teddy or Case in that order. Which means as a cursed Vikings fan I'll be stuck with Case. And I will cheer hard for him while holding my breath expecting the worst.

im happy for how Case played, but i cannot get behind choosing him as qb going forward for anything like Guru stated.  reading it made me realize how much we would be screwing up if we made any of those three choices. 

id rather teddy for sure. sam also. id spend all the money on Cousins over Keenum. 

heck, id probablly take tyrod taylor, mccarron, or maybe some other qbs over Case. 

im also hard pressed to see anyone chase Case after all the other middle of the road qbs in free agency have panned the last few years. let him look for deal and if he wants give us a chance to match. 

but man if we chase and settler on Case its an epic let down. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@BsuZagVike said:
So you think it's between Keenum and Cousins and they have moved on from Bridgewater and Bradford?
No. But they're aren't going to re-sign Bridgewater or Bradford as the unquestioned starter. 
Do you think there is any scenario where they sign both Bridgewater and Bradford and let them compete for the starting job?

Quote: @FSUVike said:

Minnesota will sign Case to a multi-year deal with an early out. He will regress into what I'm going to call Andy Dalton 2.0, good enough to get to the Playoffs, not good enough to get to the Super Bowl.

In a few years Minnesota will be looking to Draft a QB to compete with Sloter, who hasn't developed as much as the team would like.

If you look in your heart you know that this is the most likely outcome. And as Vikings fans we should be used to it by now but it will hurt any way. Sad
you forgot the part of Teddy and Sam both move on and find success.  Sam has a lightning in a bottle season with Arizona and him and LFj hook up for a league leading 16 TDs and take the west and make it to the NFCCG... stay tuned.

meanwhile Teddy signs with... buffalo and give that team 10 good years where they become the dominant team in the north east part of the country.... Teddys Mom's pink Caddy has a bumber sticker that says F*#K Belicheat!  and personalized plates that say Tomwho?.

and we sit around for another 20 years talking about the time we traded a dynasty for Hershel Walker,  or passed on Warren Sapp.

Hey Olson..... Where the hell is the bang head emoji?    :p

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:

you forgot the part of Teddy and Sam both move on and find success.  Sam has a lightning in a bottle season with Arizona and him and LFj hook up for a league leading 16 TDs and take the west and make it to the NFCCG... stay tuned.

meanwhile Teddy signs with... buffalo and give that team 10 good years where they become the dominant team in the north east part of the country.... Teddys Mom's pink Caddy has a bumber sticker that says F*#K Belicheat!  and personalized plates that say Tomwho?.

and we sit around for another 20 years talking about the time we traded a dynasty for Hershel Walker,  or passed on Warren Sapp.

I'm being an optimist and predicting that neither will pan out with another team Wink

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:

I'm being an optimist and predicting that neither will pan out with another team Wink
well you know our last few QBs that left are sporting superbowl rings... sure they werent active contributors,  but they got rings and guys like Greenway and Brob that stayed here and played do not.   :#

at least with case we have a dude with two healthy knees. yall that want to start teddy are nuts. theres a dang good chance that hes never the same let alone improves upon where he was.