Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its amazing what a loss does.
i say we fire all of them.  zim, the d the on and ziggy. Smile

I'll probably be kind of bitter with this team until around training camp or so later in the year.

I'm mostly annoyed with myself. I spent the whole year just enjoying them playing well, and the second I let myself think we had a shot... we proved ourselves again.

Count me as one of the "bad" fans that thinks we're cursed and we're never win it all. "But the Eagles hadn't won one and look what happ-" Yeah, I know, but we're the Vikings. It just isn't in the cards for this franchise.

Some will say we were unlucky this year; I say we were very lucky.  

For two years in a row, we lost our starting QB, our starting RB and our starting 3T.  

AND WE STILL MADE THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP

In 2016 we had a shit O-line, and in just one off-season it became league-average.  (One more off-season and we might actually be in the top-15.)

Tom Johnson, a journeyman, played well at 3T.  And whoda thunk Case friggin' Keenum would play as well as he did.  Most teams fold their tents when their back-ups are forced to play.  Ours got us to the NFC Championship.

This is a good team.  So good we just lost our Offensive Coordinator to another team.

For 2018, we get back Cook, we can sign/draft to fill holes in the trenches, and we get back Teddy (see what I did there?).  We have plenty of cap room to re-sign our proven vets and keep the band together.  And maybe some room to splurge on a quality free agent.

2017 was a dream season that ended badly.  Zim will learn from this experience and it will make him stronger.  

Regardless of the a-holes who write about football and rank teams, we'll field a quality team next year and be in the conversation for the Super Bowl.

I'm excited, and it's early February.  Let's Go!!

Nice post, Smash.  I'm with 'ya riding into the '18 season!  B)  This Viking team will heal, reload, and get better.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
The Vikes were gassed. Griffin, Sendejo, Rhodes were all battling injuries not including Thielen and the O line shuffling.  The aggressive team we saw against the Rams and Falcons wasn't there the last two weeks.

Bud was correct in saying "it's not who you play but when you play them."  
With all due respect, not buying it Ralphie.

The walkoff TD should have (could have) been a positive catalyst, tremendous momentum. When I left that stadium after that game I felt like the football gods were on the vikings side. Players mojo was sky-high. 

Instead Zimmer was next in line to get schooled, didnt manage the EG injury well imo and the players? Well the players get to live with that film from The Philly Massacre for a long, long time. 

No more excuses, no more rationalizing  - at least for me. Not after 40 years of being unable to win a game that puts us in the Super Bowl. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Ralphie said:
The Vikes were gassed. Griffin, Sendejo, Rhodes were all battling injuries not including Thielen and the O line shuffling.  The aggressive team we saw against the Rams and Falcons wasn't there the last two weeks.

The walkoff TD should have (could have) been a positive catalyst, tremendous momentum. When I left that stadium after that game I felt like the football gods were on the vikings side. Players mojo was sky-high. 

Instead Zimmer was next in line to get schooled and the players? Well they get to live with that film from The Philly Massacre for a long, long time. 

No more excuses, no more rationalizing  - at least for me. Not after 40 years of being unable to win a game that puts us in the Super Bowl. 
A feel good moment doesn't fix injuries.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Ralphie said:

Instead Zimmer was next in line to get schooled and the players? Well they get to live with that film from The Philly Massacre for a long, long time. 

Hey, if you think it was a valiant effort in spite of tremendous headwinds then god bless ya Jimmy...Not how I am telling the narrative though...

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Ralphie said:

Correct.  And as inspirational as Digg's play was, it's cover for the fact we were getting our heads handed to us in the second half.  Had the Philly game been played a month or so earlier with the above mentioned players at full speed...or better yet, with Philly dealing with Wentz's injury and Foles shaking the rust off his arm...it would have had a different outcome.
But that's is all conjecture and woulda-coulda-shoulda. You play the hand with the cards you have...not the ones you "had".  At the expense of repeating my dear ol' pappy's famous saying..."If the dog didn't stop to take a s***, he'd of caught the rabbit!"

I still blame it on the panthers game more than anything else. If we go into the saints game knowing a home NFC championship game is on the line I dont think we even come close to the letdown in the second half that we saw. Playing the eagles at our house would have changed the game IMO and limited their ability to move the ball as easily as they did. I also think it's ridiculous that they use common opponents for tie breakers instead of winning percentage of teams you beat. Just seems like the latter gives a more encompassing data point for who you beat compared to the former.

Quote: @quattrovike said:
I still blame it on the panthers game more than anything else. If we go into the saints game knowing a home NFC championship game is on the line I dont think we even come close to the letdown in the second half that we saw. Playing the eagles at our house would have changed the game IMO and limited their ability to move the ball as easily as they did. I also think it's ridiculous that they use common opponents for tie breakers instead of winning percentage of teams you beat. Just seems like the latter gives a more encompassing data point for who you beat compared to the former.
Detroit game was much more winnable in reality.  Pathers game, we were lucky to be in it.  Detroit, we had the ball late in the game.

But yes, having a home game would have been much different.