Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update: John DeFilipo Interview Must Wait?
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
just so everyone isnt expecting miracles,  please note that he is not the OC version of Jesus.   He has had some successes,  but even the great Defilipo couldnt fix jamarcus russell or johnny maziel.
Sure did a fine job with Wentz and Foles though.

I think using Manziel and Russell as examples of DeFilippo's coaching expertise is pretty damn useless. They are footnotes in his coaching bio, but is it really fair to judge the man's abilities on those 2 lame asses?

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
I think using Manziel and Russell as examples of DeFilippo's coaching expertise is pretty damn useless. They are footnotes in his coaching bio, but is it really fair to judge the man's abilities on those 2 lame asses?
lol, was just joking about them.  But it was interesting those two were his first experiences.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
lol, was just joking about them.  But it was interesting those two were his first experiences.
Interesting for sure, a lot could be learned from those two. But from what I've heard he's largely responsible for Wentz' development over the past 2 years. He also was responsible for a lot of Foles' check at the line since he took over. There are a lot of small little nuances that'd suggest he had a lot to do with how the QB's over performed in that system. The league loves QB guru's and he likely is the best one available. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
Interesting for sure, a lot could be learned from those two. But from what I've heard he's largely responsible for Wentz' development over the past 2 years. He also was responsible for a lot of Foles' check at the line since he took over. There are a lot of small little nuances that'd suggest he had a lot to do with how the QB's over performed in that system. The league loves QB guru's and he likely is the best one available. 
Especially important with the Vikings current QB situation.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
thank you,  yes folks it was a joke....  I seriously am not sure I could even fault johnnys parents for how fucked up that kid is( yes I can, and i do).  and russell was a bust before he was drafted,  it was evident to anybody that actually watched football... add him to the raiders and it was as close to lock as a better can get.

Former Browns offensive coordinator doesn't really float my boat.  He's hot right now, but nobody really talks about who the good OCs would be until you need one.

What he has going for him is:

Superbowl Ring

* Experience with Bradford (and maybe a recommendation)

* Nick Foles didn't collapse in the postseason

* Philly wants to keep him

What he has on the con column is:

* Former Browns offensive coordinator (fired)

* OC for Johnny Manziel (who crashed harder than any player since Ryan Leaf)

* If he wins a superbowl in MN next year, he's going to be the hottest head coach candidate in a long time.

The Browns are toxic enough and Manziel had enough character problems that you can almost ignore them, but still...

The Vikings really need to get this nailed down as fast as possible.  March 1 is around the corner.  The bright side is that usually when you lose an coordinator, the HC's position becomes (or already is) a question mark.  Zimmer has done well enough for that to not be the case.

But being a former Browns offensive coordinator shouldn't be a con for DeFilippo when you consider Shurmur is a former Browns HC.

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
But being a former Browns offensive coordinator shouldn't be a con for DeFilippo when you consider Shurmur is a former Browns HC.
belicheat has that stain on his resume as well.  i dont think being a former browns anything is bad unless its a former browns QB.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
belicheat has that stain on his resume as well.  i dont think being a former browns anything is bad unless its a former browns QB.
Was just about to say that. Belichick was 36-57 as a head coach in Cleveland. These past appearances are about as irrelevant as you can possibly get. They're like all these stats people keep bringing up about the QBs. Utterly meaningless without context.

Since he comes from a Doug Pederson offense, I know he's bold and creative. So I only really care about two things: Does he have a good feel for the rhythm of play calling? And is he on the edge of where NFL offenses are going?