Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs Reach Agreement To Trade Alex Smith To Washington
Quote: @StickyBun said:
I expect Cousins top suitor to be the New York Jets.
Yes

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
If Washington was smart and had the Cap Space they could put the transition tag on him and work a trade out with a team.

Because you know he won't  sign it and even if he does teams are still going to be intrested.
why would a team trade for a guy that is going to be a free agent or have to be tagged at considerably more money than what he is worth?   any team that is interested in cousins would be best served to wait and then just beat down his agents door during the tampering period to ensure that he will at least come for a visit.

Quote: @TBro said:

I agree with you that our window is open now, but I think we need a lot more than just a QB. We desperately need to find a 3T for the defensive line, we need a starting RG and possibly a starting RT unless you are satisfied with Remmers or Hill as your starters and that's assuming Easton and Elflein fully recover. We need to find Nickel and Dime DB's when teams attack us with a spread passing game, and could also use some additional Pass Rushers as we saw both Hunter and Griffin wear down and become ineffective. If we can afford Cousin's big price tag and fill all of our holes through the draft and FA, I fine giving him a big contract, but I think that is going to be tough when you have some big extensions looming with Barr, Diggs, Kendricks, and Hunter.
I think you're painting too bleak of a picture for a team that went 13-3 this season and lost it's starting QB and star RB early in the season.
Yes, the Vikings have some holes to address this offseason, but we have what...  18 of 22 starters returning?  Look around the league and the Vikings actually have a very talented and deep roster at quite a few positions.  Add in the fact that we should have almost 63 million in cap space (after Sharrif Floyd is cut) and this team is set up better than most.
We have some in-house candidates in Danny Isidora and Jaleel Johnson that the team is reportedly high on...  I wouldn't dismiss that those two could step in for Berger and Tom Johnson this season.  The Vikings can basically have their pick of any free agent QB and Kicker is last on my list of concerns.  Forbath was solid this season, but he's not irreplaceable.
The sky isn't falling, bro.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
How does this make the Redskins better? Its crazy. Some organizations can't get out of their own way. Signing Cousins to a bank breaking contract will gut the Vikings for signing upcoming young stars....but I don't think they ever considered this an option anyway. 
no kidding. they gave up a high pick to sign someone for similar money who is unfamiliar with their system.

cousins must have some flaws that arent on the field. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
How does this make the Redskins better? Its crazy. Some organizations can't get out of their own way. Signing Cousins to a bank breaking contract will gut the Vikings for signing upcoming young stars....but I don't think they ever considered this an option anyway. 
no kidding. they gave up a high pick to sign someone for similar money who is unfamiliar with their system.

cousins must have some flaws that arent on the field. 
what high pick?  do we know what they gave for Smith?

also,  they had to move on from cousins,  that bridge was burnt last year when they tagged him again.  he wanted a contract and they insulted him.  it was a dead issue.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
If Washington was smart and had the Cap Space they could put the transition tag on him and work a trade out with a team.

Because you know he won't  sign it and even if he does teams are still going to be intrested.
why would a team trade for a guy that is going to be a free agent or have to be tagged at considerably more money than what he is worth?   any team that is interested in cousins would be best served to wait and then just beat down his agents door during the tampering period to ensure that he will at least come for a visit.
Didn't KC do that with Jarred Allen. New England  with Cassel, I'm sure I can find other times its happened. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:

Didn't KC do that with Jarred Allen. New England  with Cassel, I'm sure I can find other times its happened. 
I dont think they were set to be free agents,  maybe restricted free agents?  but it really makes no sense that I can see to trade for the rights of a guy a month before he becomes a free agent.

and really what are you going to get in return?  a conditional 7th round pick in 2 years?

IIRC JA was not going to be a free agent until after that coming season,  he still had 1 year left but he wanted a new deal because his rookie deal was shit for what they were getting out of him.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the...li=BBnba9I

interesting article on the trade and why it works for both teams.  I was surprised to see KC get that much for a Alex at his age... but again its the redskins and without full terms of the deal we dont know how much of commitment they really made.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:

I dont think they were set to be free agents,  maybe restricted free agents?  but it really makes no sense that I can see to trade for the rights of a guy a month before he becomes a free agent.

and really what are you going to get in return?  a conditional 7th round pick in 2 years?

IIRC JA was not going to be a free agent until after that coming season,  he still had 1 year left but he wanted a new deal because his rookie deal was shit for what they were getting out of him.
https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Vi...-104512894

Jarred Allen was tagged.

I'm not saying Washington will but they should look into it getting something out of him.  They would more than likely be getting a 3rd round comp pick out of him either way but if they could get more they should explore the possibility.   Just for the fact that there are more than 1 team looking at Cousins. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Vi...-104512894

Jarred Allen was tagged.

I'm not saying Washington will but they should look into it getting something out of him.  They would more than likely be getting a 3rd round comp pick out of him either way but if they could get more they should explore the possibility.   Just for the fact that there are more than 1 team looking at Cousins. 
ok, so he was franchise tagged.  thats quite a bit different than a transition tag and its a gamble that the skins cant afford with Cousins now that they have committed to Smith.   

considering that there is no compensation from the transition tag there is no reason for the skins to go that route,  or for a team to trade for his rights when he can negotiate with anybody and the team holding his rights gets no compensation if he were to sign else where.