Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs Reach Agreement To Trade Alex Smith To Washington
Report: Chiefs reach agreement to trade Alex Smith to Washington
Posted by Charean Williams on January 30, 2018, 9:47 PM EST
[Image: 901979494-e1515341441189.jpg?w=524&h=316&crop=1]
Getty Images
Alex Smith doesn’t have to wonder about his future any longer, and Washington no longer has to wonder who its quarterback will be in 2018.
The Chiefs reached an agreement to trade Smith to Washington, Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Starreports. There is no word on the compensation the Chiefs will receive.
Although the trade cannot be consummated until the first day of the league year, which begins March 14, Paylor reports the sides have agreed to the deal.
Smith was entering the final year of his deal, with a cap number of $20.6 million for 2018. The Chiefs will save $17 million on their cap.
It paves the way for Patrick Mahomes to take over as the starting quarterback in Kansas City. It also assures that Kirk Cousins will enter free agency after Washington used the franchise tag on him in consecutive years.

Wow. What does that tell you about how well Cousins is liked in Washington? They would rather trade for Smith than try to sign Cousins. I don't think Cousins would give us anything better than what we already have if we sign Keenum at a much lower price tag. 

Quote: @TBro said:
Wow. What does that tell you about how well Cousins is liked in Washington? They would rather trade for Smith than try to sign Cousins. I don't think Cousins would give us anything better than what we already have if we sign Keenum at a much lower price tag. 
I dunno, the redskins have never been great decision makers under snyder. My eyes tell me that Cousins is better after having watched both extensively. I think it is more likely Cousins ready to move on to a team that has some receiving talent.

Seriously?  Cousins has thrown for 4k yards how many times in a row including this year with squat for WRs but Keenum is better after one year with a much better supporting cast? 

This move boils down to Kirk saying he wants the opposite of the Home Town Discount after two years of being tagged instead of extended.

And although the Skins are idiots for letting it get this far at least they were smart enough to grab their bridge guy while they look for a Franchise QB they haven't already pissed off.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Seriously?  Cousins has thrown for 4k yards how many times in a row including this year with squat for WRs but Keenum is better after one year with a much better supporting cast? 

This move boils down to Kirk saying he wants the opposite of the Home Town Discount after two years of being tagged instead of extended.

And although the Skins are idiots for letting it get this far at least they were smart enough to grab their bridge guy while they look for a Franchise QB they haven't already pissed off.
Exactly.  I expect that Spielman will be on the phone with Cousins agent discussing possibilities.

Cousins is much better and more durable (except for Keenum) than the Vikings QBs.

If Cousins is truly serious about winning then the Vikings have to be at the top of the list.

If he goes to Denver or anywhere else then that would be foolish.  Denver's defense is on the decline.

Quote: @FSUVike said:

Exactly.  Now the Vikings have a big decision to make...  do we go after Cousins and pay him 25+ million per year or gamble a bit and pin our hopes on Teddy/Case/Bradford on a lesser deal?

I don't know that we should gamble on the most important position in football.  Cousin's career to date would put Bradford and Keenum to shame...  and I don't know that we can bank on Teddy reaching that level in 2018 and beyond.

I'd make a run at Cousins.  We have the cap space to do it and a team that is ready to contend for a Super Bowl RIGHT NOW.  This could keep our window open for the next 5 years at least...

How does this make the Redskins better? Its crazy. Some organizations can't get out of their own way. Signing Cousins to a bank breaking contract will gut the Vikings for signing upcoming young stars....but I don't think they ever considered this an option anyway. 

The interesting part of this trade is the extension Smith signed...4 years for 94...helps set the market for Case if we choose to go that way...

I don't think this says anything about what cousins wants except to be out of DC.  This isn't a knock on the skins (this year anyway) as cousins was never gong to resign with them after the disrespect of the tag the last few years.

I would stI'll pass on him if he is going to insist on being paid 20+ million every year.  You know why the most competitive teams are often the ones with cheaper QBs,  they can afford to put better talent around them.  We have the better talent,  we need to find a QB that wants to win first and is not worried about where his contract ranks among other QBs.  Anybody think brady cares about where his contract ranks when he's polishing his superbowl rings? 

Iirc the skins wanted to extend cousins but he wanted top dollar, maybe they will be better off in the long run without him.  The Vikings have done pretty good without a 20 plus million dollar arm,  I would rather see a solid team than a golden arm surrounded by shit.  Or 1 really good year and then 3 years or so rebuilding because we can't keep our core together.

Most fans are worried about which QB we will sign,  I am more worried about how much it's going to cost us in terms of future free agents,  both our own and those we want/need to add.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I don't think this says anything about what cousins wants except to be out of DC.  This isn't a knock on the skins (this year anyway) as cousins was never gong to resign with them after the disrespect of the tag the last few years.

I would stI'll pass on him if he is going to insist on being paid 20+ million every year.  You know why the most competitive teams are often the ones with cheaper QBs,  they can afford to put better talent around them.  We have the better talent,  we need to find a QB that wants to win first and is not worried about where his contract ranks among other QBs.  Anybody think brady cares about where his contract ranks when he's polishing his superbowl rings? 

Iirc the skins wanted to extend cousins but he wanted top dollar, maybe they will be better off in the long run without him.  The Vikings have done pretty good without a 20 plus million dollar arm,  I would rather see a solid team than a golden arm surrounded by shit.  Or 1 really good year and then 3 years or so rebuilding because we can't keep our core together.

Most fans are worried about which QB we will sign,  I am more worried about how much it's going to cost us in terms of future free agents,  both our own and those we want/need to add.

I believe the Vikings know that and they wont mortgage their future and their core guys for Cousins IMO. I believe the Vikings will only make a run if Brez and company deem it possible to keep the team together.