Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I expect a rejuvinated Everson Griffen
Quote: @AGRforever said:
@purplefaithful said:
I think 3t is one of our biggest needs next year. The pass rush from the DL seems to have tapered-off this season. Some of it is EG, some of it is we've had to play contain at times vs sack (ie vs Hundley). But its not as ferocious a rush as we've seen other seasons. 

Zim is a master at D. Him and Edwards together VERY GOOD. We'll see what they come up with. And Peyton is very good on offense. Should be a hell of a chess match Sunday. 
Hunter joined the xmen. His power is invisability. Brob slowed a step this year it seemed?  All might be by scheme?  
I don't know that he really slowed this year especially after running a screen down from behind a few games ago. I think it was the Cincy game. I do believe in that game he also had 2 of our 3 sacks and was 2nd in tackles. If that's slowing down then so be it.
Honestly, he probably is but i think he is still plenty savvy and gets plenty of rest so i believe he may have benefited from going from 80+% of the defensive snaps to about 50% or a little more.
And actually i think Griff, Hunter and Brian all 3 along with Joseph and Johnson. Basically our entire DLine need to have a good game for us to win.
I think Brian really has to have a good game and here is the reason why.
Passing downs are his time to take over the defense and when he's out there on passing downs the coaches put the defense, especially the DLine, in his hands. He's free to change the sline and place players in position to make plays. Not necessarily put himself in position to make plays. In fact, many many times this year i saw where the opposing OLinemen doubled and sometimes triple teamed Brian while singling up on both Griff and Hunter. The reason, i believe is because the opposing OLinemen believe he is placing himself in position to make a play. With Brian he places himself in a position to draw blockers away from other players and if it doesn't work and they leave him one on one then it's time for him to step up. I still feel that his best position is at LDE, when he's allowed to just pass rush but he's been pretty decent at doing what he's doing when moving around as a LB along the DLine.
However, in this game i think his game has to be sharp between the ears. In eecent interviews he elaborated on what his job is on passing downs and if Brees is going to be Brees then he will be passing a lot this game which should compute to Brian being in there a lot. That is iespecially true if we stop the run early 
That said, Brian explained in recent interviews that when he comes in on nickel defenses, he first has to decipher the QB and OLine calls for their protection. Then he makes a call, moves guys around or moves himself around. Forcing the opposition to change their calls and just as they do he makes a move or changes the call again. By this time the clock is running down and the offense has to go with their last play call. As he told me, he's having a ball doing this and waching the chess match going back and forth. He enjoys the mental aspect and confusing the shit out of the OLine. Add in the crowd noise on Sunday and it'll be very hard for the Aints offense.
However this is going to be a huge challenge and the reason why i believe Brian has to have a great game for us to be successful, not necessarily in terms of sacks, tackles etc. but he has to have a great game between the ears. Why because he will be going against another great football mind, Brees!! What Brian does when he is doing what he is suppose to do is not shown in his stat sheet. Instead it is shown in the defensive stat sheet. Knowing this i think he's had a helluva year this year. No not overwhelming stats, but probably the most impressive stat that reflects what he has done is the fact that this defense is the #1 defense on 3rd downs. The down that he is on the field the most and the down that he's in charge of.
Oh yeah, when he is playing his old LDE position, in relief role, he needs to play it the way he use to and put some hits, sacks or pressures on Brees.
This is the playoffs guys and these games will be won or lost just like any other football game, not by the specialty players like the QBs, RBs, WRs and DBs, but this game will be won or lost by the play in the trenches, by the big uglies!! 
I say this with all the confidence in the world that we have the advantage in the trenches, especially when it comes to our DLine, who are the BEST AND BADDEST MOTHER F-ERS IN THE NFL!!
SKOL BROTHERS!!!!!

Nice write-up Pops and I heard Brian talking about that role earlier this season. I think you're spot on in the importance of how he calls it on the field and his job is more difficult this week going up against a HOF'er in Brees. 

I said it elsewhere, this is going to be a true heavyweight  bout. Like we saw in Saints vs Panthers. 

Quote:  By@purplefaithful said:
Nice write-up Pops and I heard Brian talking about that role earlier this season. I think you're spot on in the importance of how he calls it on the field and his job is more difficult this week going up against a HOF'er in Brees. 

I said it elsewhere, this is going to be a true heavyweight  bout. Like we saw in Saints vs Panthers. 
It'll make his job much easier when the hometown crowd gets loud and Brees can't counter with his calls. Many have said already that USBank stadium is one ofnthe loudest stadiums in the NFL and definitely a huge advantage in our favor. Everyone there needs to be loud and be proud!!!
Brian also said when USBank gets loud it's one of the loudest he's ever played in.

Quote: @96POPS said:
What Brian does when he is doing what he is suppose to do is not shown in his stat sheet. Instead it is shown in the defensive stat sheet.
I think you just defined Zimmer ball

Thanks for the insight Pops!   

Quote: @ATXVIKE said:
I've had plantar fasciitis...it's not really painful (mine wasn't) it's just a nagging and annoying condition. What happens is you tear the tendon likely from the heal and then a bone spur forms to reattach the tendon. That feels like a pebble under your heal. If the plantar tendon is torn on the arch that could be debilitating and continuously at risk for further tears and damage. I suspect they tape his foot so tight that he doesn't get leverage while pushing forward. FWIW I'm not a Dr. so this post could be obliterated by a real Doc B)

Agree with you TX...I actually have been putting up with plantar fasciitis for about 4 or 5 months now. I find that it hurts the most when I get up in the morning but as I move around during the day it gets better...until I sit down for any prolonged period of time. It must really tighten up overnight because first thing in the morning it is not fun. Also, there are times I get a cramp in that foot that's very similar to a Charley horse. When that happens the arch of my foot wrapping around to the heel hurts like an SOB.
I find that if I wear tight socks and shoes it helps. I think if Everson is experiencing symptoms like mine he probably has the most trouble with pushing off his foot. Even when I've been walking around a while that can hurt for me. But again, I find that it does feel better for the most part after I have been up and moving around.

Didn’t Kevin Williams have PF too?   Didn’t it effect him for about a year and half?   Or was that his brother Pat?   Big Grin   

No seriously I’m fairly sure Kevin had PF as well.  

Thanks Pops—interesting explanation. I’m glad your boy has the job of running the D. When he is out there. I have a lot of confidence in him . Smart player.

Thanks Pops!
Appreciate you and your son!
Game day cant get here soon enough. SKOL!

Thanks pops---Tell em to build a box and beat em like a drum---and oh yes keep those hands up to deflect(and int) those passes.  Skol Bro.