Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I expect a rejuvinated Everson Griffen
It hasn't been talked about, but Griffen looked a bit tired and worn down the last 3 games. This two weeks of rest are going to help him, IMO, big time. I expect him to have a nice game against the Saints. 

I'm hoping his foot problem has eased up some and healed a bit.  I want that man going at full throttle after Brees... 

No, it's been talked about SB. EG is dealing with Plantar Fascia and it's really hampered him and as you have pointed out. 

The rest should do him a lot of good and we'll need him back 100% this week no doubt. Rudy should benefit this week too with a bum ankle. 

I actually forgot about the plantar fasciatis believe it or not.....

I think 3t is one of our biggest needs next year. The pass rush from the DL seems to have tapered-off this season. Some of it is EG, some of it is we've had to play contain at times vs sack (ie vs Hundley). But its not as ferocious a rush as we've seen other seasons. 

Zim is a master at D. Him and Edwards together VERY GOOD. We'll see what they come up with. And Peyton is very good on offense. Should be a hell of a chess match Sunday. 

I'm sure EG's foot is bothering and affecting him, but a lot of the reduced pass rush is also Zim keeping the dogs chained up and playing a contain D.  I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that he has ultimate faith in our DBs' covering anyone and everyone, while the DL plays run contain.  QB's are only going to hold the ball and stay in the pocket for 3 to 5 seconds before either throwing it away or scrambling for their lives.  If the opponent has a PLUS running game, you want guys in their lanes, controlling the line.  This D has contained everything, every Offense has thrown at us, with few exceptions.  Dr. Drew isn't mobile, but their running game is lights out this year.  We aren't going to surprise Drew with blitz's.  We aren't going to show him something he has never seen before.  For those reasons I expect us to play a contain style D again.  Contain their running backs and let the DBs do their jobs.  Sacks are fun, but they don't mean shit if your getting torched 4 out of 5 times you try it.  

Griffin will need to regain his old form  which will also help Hunter be more effective, but we also need a strong push up the middle by Joseph and Johnson to make Brees uncomfortable. We may not get many sacks on Brees, but we can disrupt his timing. 

Quote: @TBro said:
Griffin will need to regain his old form  which will also help Hunter be more effective, but we also need a strong push up the middle by Joseph and Johnson to make Brees uncomfortable. We may not get many sacks on Brees, but we can disrupt his timing. 
exactly,  hits and hurries are often just as effective as sacks in the grand scheme of things.  one reason why I've said for years that BRob was underappreciated,  while his sack numbers were never mind blowing,  the amounts of hurries and pressures he was credited for (without giving up his containg and run stopping responsibilities)   from the left side were difference makers in many many games.

Plantar Fascitis takes many months to fully heal.  Will he be better with a week off?  Marginally.  He's in pain.  Remember when Moss had it and it completely affected his ability to run routes?

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
Plantar Fascitis takes many months to fully heal.  Will he be better with a week off?  Marginally.  He's in pain.  Remember when Moss had it and it completely affected his ability to run routes?
the only thing that will heal that is rest... months of it.  the two weeks off may help him,  but its not like he is really resting, Griff cant afford the time off right now so he will try to just bite his lip and power through the pain,  but make no mistake he will be limited the rest of this season,  however long that  may be.