Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derek Carr is not that impressive anymore.
Quote: @minny65 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@claykenny said:
We've already heard how Spielman is an idiot for not signing Osemele to a huge deal and not drafting Carr. 
The one that still sticks under my craw a bit is La'el Collins...
No one drafted Collins - UDFA - who then got to chose which team he would play and he chose the Cowboys.  That sticks under your craw due to Speilman how?  
We should have taken him in the 6th or 7th and then negotiated a deal with him that would have assured that he signed with us.  there is always a way.  he said he wouldnt sign if take later,  but he would have taken the money as opposed to sitting out a year and risking getting nothing the next year if he didnt show well after a year off from football.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@claykenny said:
We've already heard how Spielman is an idiot for not signing Osemele to a huge deal and not drafting Carr. 
No one drafted Collins - UDFA - who then got to chose which team he would play and he chose the Cowboys.  That sticks under your craw due to Speilman how?  
We should have taken him in the 6th or 7th and then negotiated a deal with him that would have assured that he signed with us.  there is always a way.  he said he wouldnt sign if take later,  but he would have taken the money as opposed to sitting out a year and risking getting nothing the next year if he didnt show well after a year off from football.
If you say so all that would have happened then I guess so but that is a lot of if's and but's and 20/20.  No team did what you say Spelly should have done.  He was also quoted as saying he would not sign if picked after the 3rd round not the 6th or 7th.  Difficult for me, to see anything that Spelly did wrong other then he didn't get a risk pick that may have worked out as an UDFA for a team he chose to play for, which is what he wanted by not being drafted. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@claykenny said:
If you say so all that would have happened then I guess so but that is a lot of if's and but's and 20/20.  No team did what you say Spelly should have done.  He was also quoted as saying he would not sign if picked after the 3rd round not the 6th or 7th.  Difficult for me, to see anything that Spelly did wrong other then he didn't get a risk pick that may have worked out as an UDFA for a team he chose to play for, which is what he wanted by not being drafted. 
If it didn't work what are you out?  Those 7th rounders are flyers any way so why not use a flyer on a real talent for a change?  Worst case...he doesn't sign...big fucken deal,  most 7th round picks dont.

La'el Collins had a very shaky season in 2017, but that may be mostly attributed to a bulging disk in his back.

@minny65 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@claykenny said:
This...This is the exactly the scenario that was discussed that day. Vikings were not as aggressive as they could have been to upgrade the OL. 

@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@claykenny said:
If it didn't work what are you out?  Those 7th rounders are flyers any way so why not use a flyer on a real talent for a change?  Worst case...he doesn't sign...big fucken deal,  most 7th round picks dont.
So Spelly should have done what no other GM did and drafted Collins as a 7th round flyer even though he was under investigation in a murder of an ex girlfriend and his agent had stated that he would not sign with a team if he fell below the 3rd round.  Pretty much stating that I if I am not drafted high i want to be an UDFA and sign with who I want.  

So, Spelly should have been an outlier and taken that chance according to a couple fans.  I think GM's around the league had more information and why would Spelly put the spotlight on a guy that would not have signed with us - clearly Spelly does not draft malcontents in building this roster - his first move as GM was getting rid of Harvin the ultimate team malcontent.  Mixon is a good example of a guy that I don't think Spelly even had as draftable by us.  I am sure if Mixon was playing better then he has we will start to see some criticism of Spelly for not drafting him.  To me it was clear that Collins would not play for a team as a late round pick because he repeatedly said that.  Then you would have had a bunch of critics on here questioning Spelly for the pick when the guy clearly said he would not play.  

I still prefer Spelly draft players that will want to play for us, even late round flyers.  For all we know, Spelly may have reached out to his agent and said we might draft him late and the agent said don't bother he wants to play for the Cowboys close to home.  

It is easy to make up scenario's that fit the pick that we wanted but I think Spelly knew more about Collins then any one of us did at the time of the draft.  

Exactly, 65. Agents and GMs talk. We don't have access to the content of those conversations.

But we have no problem saying things like 'Spielman didn't go hard enough after Whitworth' or 'Should have taken the flyer with a meaningless 7th Round pick'.

Hard to make that assumption when you're missing the whole picture.

@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@claykenny said:
So Spelly should have done what no other GM did and drafted Collins as a 7th round flyer even though he was under investigation in a murder of an ex girlfriend and his agent had stated that he would not sign with a team if he fell below the 3rd round.  Pretty much stating that I if I am not drafted high i want to be an UDFA and sign with who I want.  

So, Spelly should have been an outlier and taken that chance according to a couple fans.  I think GM's around the league had more information and why would Spelly put the spotlight on a guy that would not have signed with us - clearly Spelly does not draft malcontents in building this roster - his first move as GM was getting rid of Harvin the ultimate team malcontent.  Mixon is a good example of a guy that I don't think Spelly even had as draftable by us.  I am sure if Mixon was playing better then he has we will start to see some criticism of Spelly for not drafting him.  To me it was clear that Collins would not play for a team as a late round pick because he repeatedly said that.  Then you would have had a bunch of critics on here questioning Spelly for the pick when the guy clearly said he would not play.  

I still prefer Spelly draft players that will want to play for us, even late round flyers.  For all we know, Spelly may have reached out to his agent and said we might draft him late and the agent said don't bother he wants to play for the Cowboys close to home.  

It is easy to make up scenario's that fit the pick that we wanted but I think Spelly knew more about Collins then any one of us did at the time of the draft.  
Then he could have traded his rights to the cowboys or let it play out.  The smart move with the information  at hand would have been to make the pick and see where the chips fell.

Haven’t been on for awhile but thought I’d pop by to check the topics and there are some good ones. 

In my opinion, Carr hasn’t mentally recovered from the broken leg. Yes line isn’t very good, team in general is struggling, but he has shown to overcome that stuff in the past. He had two very good years then the big injury. It’s still in his head and probably will be until next year.

Raiders as a team did not help him changing OC’s. That was an exceptionally stupid move - don’t fix what isn’t broken. The other big thing missing for him is Murray. I told my Brother-in-law they would regret letting him go. It’s tough finding guys who really know how to handle the blocking assignments. 

Carr needs to get his head on right, before we know where he is at.