Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Take Him At #32?
That embarrassment of riches could turn into a fart in the wind pretty quick...the one QB under contract earned his chops against a bunch of guys probably driving for Uber now... 

32? If we're picking 32 I won't be back to earth before the draft so I can't answer that one.

I'm a fan of the first round QB.  Any of the 3 QBs that we could keep have strong question marks, our team has few holes, and if our keeper turns out to not be a franchise QB it's good to have another one in the works.

After the past 30 years, I hope the Vikings would think ahead on the QB thing rather than get caught in pants down syndrome again. So yes Bring on Mayfield if he's there.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Its still far to early to know what the Vikings are going to do. As for Mayfield I get the vibe that he either is going to go in the top 15 or will fall in the mid to late 2nd range. He's a love/hate type of player. The draft process will be interesting for him. 

On the Vikings side the first shoe to drop will be Shurmur. I wouldn't be knocking down Case's door unless you know for a fact he is going to be put in the same offensive system. The coaching hires look a bit weak this year which only leads you to believe that Shurmur is going to have a real shot of getting a job somewhere. The good is that there will be some decent O-coordinators available that have a relationship with Zim. Jay Gruden and Hue Jackson being the main two. Kevin Stefanski may be an internal candidate otherwise. 

At the end of the season, maybe Case is the guy. But I still don't see them letting Teddy walk out of the door. They'll either re-pursue tolling his contract or franchise tag him with the goal of trading him for a mid-round pick.  
I think Shurmur has been a huge part of our turnaround. One thing I'm curious about is how much of the Shurmur's success is simply adopting a modern offense that fits our personnel and how much is the success due to him? As you said, we could probably bring in or promote another competent coach, but when I look at our turnaround in the red zone offense, I worry that may be more difficult to carry over the success with another coach. Turner was frustrating in the red zone, he'd call an occasional brilliant play, but it felt like they were playing for FGs and would never throw in the end zone. Was that poor play design, roster limitations, or him not trusting his QB enough to take chances to score?

Still hard to say what direction they'll go at the end of the season. We have two viable options in Keenum and Bridgewater that we could bring back, there are some potentially decent QBs available through FA, and while it's early, I think most of the top QBs will be gone well before the Vikings pick. I am sure they could someone to develop behind a short to mid term starter, but I wouldn't feel confident about my odds of getting someone like Mayfield or Jackson in the late 1st. The team is good enough that they need more established options for right now, but I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a QB early if someone good does slip and we have time to develop them.

It's almost comical to me.  We basically have no starting QB under contract, for next year and I'm not worried about it at all.  After the shit show QB rotations we've had here over the years, it would seem like I should be starting to feel the panic of "we're screwed or doomed" setting in. However, I don't feel that way at all.  I have full belief that the Vikings will sign one of our current starter level QBs this offseason and I'll be good with whoever they decide on.  If we have that issue resolved for the next 3-5 years, I don't think I see the team using a #1 pick on a QB.  History has shown the team covets a vet as the number 2 guy, so that knocks the QB pick down even another notch.  Then if you add in their apparent stance on Sloter, I think it's almost a given our first round pick will be used someplace else.  

I believe the Vikes only have around 34 guys under contract next year, so depth is needed in many spots.  I think my vote would have to go to adding depth to the CB/S position first.  We also don't have a 4th round or 7th round pick this year, so you know trader Rick will live up to his reputation again this year.  It would be a massive change of tactics for Rick, who loves his 1st round selections, BUT with our reduced number of selections in the draft does he trades the 1st for multiple picks, to get closer to his beloved number of 10?