Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Take Him At #32?
Baker Mayfield - QB - SoonersOklahoma redshirt senior QB Baker Mayfield was named the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year.

Mayfield also came away with the honor back in 2015. Perhaps the Heisman Trophy favorite -- we still like Lamar Jackson as deserving but there just hasn't been the same excitement around him this season as there was a year ago -- the redshirt senior has thrown for 4,097 yards (71.4-percent completions) with a 37/5 TD/INT ratio for the regular season. He's had his minor moments of non-football infamy this season (planting the flag after a win over Ohio State, his vaguely NSFW acts against Kansas) but there have been no signs that those incidents will have any impact on his chances for big-time hardware.
I see Keenum with more arm talent...sign Case to a deal similar to Glennon...let Baker marinate behind Keenum...but, there will be a couple safeties around this spot that would look good here...top end G too...

Ready to move on from Teddy, huh? It will be interesting to see what happens next year.

Eh...Yes and no...That catastrophic knee injury makes it hard to cozy up to #5...Keenum, Mayfield, Sloter sounds pretty sweet...

Still need to see what happens the rest of this year, who we sign in the off-season, and what the coaches think of the developmental QB already on the roster. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Eh...Yes and no...That catastrophic knee injury makes it hard to cozy up to #5...Keenum, Mayfield, Sloter sounds pretty sweet...
I have no idea what they'll do, but I will say this: if you want to draft a QB high next year and let him sit for a bit behind a guy like Keenum for a year or two and learn, its the perfect scenario. Obviously, that means cutting bait with Bridgewater and my gut is telling me that isn't the direction they'll take. And I'm not saying that's what I personally want necessarily. What I'm saying is that would be a great scenario for a rookie QB to come into, learning behind a guy like Case. 

I think Keenum's ascendance gives the team more possible options for 2018.

Case , Teddy, and Sam  unless we somehow keep 2 of the 3 plus Sloter I think we have to be looking at QB fairly high in this draft. 

If not 2 of the 3 then  I don't think how high depends on which which one we keep as much as what they really think of Sloters potential and rediness to take the next step.  If he is a couple years off yet,  we need to go QB early.  And draft a hopeful #2,  if they think KS is ready for that role they can push the need down a round or two and take a guy that needs more development.

I think there will be better options than Mayfield at #32...more tangible 'needs'...but, from a cap perspective, health perspective, and what we know now...I like Mayfield here...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Hmmm...that would make me very nervous. Let's say Keenum turns back into the pumpkin, which may not happen, but you have to at least think of it as a distinct possibility, if not a likelihood. Then you're faced with turning a Super Bowl roster over to a rookie, and a developmental guy. I love me some Sloter, but I'd like to see another year in oven. 

I like Mayfield, but I need to see more. Remember, Johnny Football wasn't just a disaster OFF the field. I know that's not a fair comparison, but that's the dude he reminds me of most. 

#5 is alive. Unless Case takes us to a Super Bowl, Teddy is still the most likely future for this team. The knee makes you nervous and that nervousness might impact what the FO decides to do, but I think we need a veteran very much like Keenum to support whoever the QB is. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
#5 is alive. Unless Case takes us to a Super Bowl, Teddy is still the most likely future for this team. The knee makes you nervous and that nervousness might impact what the FO decides to do, but I think we need a veteran very much like Keenum to support whoever the QB is. 
I agree. I think this is definitely the most likely scenario. But there are definitely other options....just not the most likely ones, IMO.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Hmmm...that would make me very nervous. Let's say Keenum turns back into the pumpkin, which may not happen, but you have to at least think of it as a distinct possibility, if not a likelihood. Then you're faced with turning a Super Bowl roster over to a rookie, and a developmental guy. I love me some Sloter, but I'd like to see another year in oven. 

I like Mayfield, but I need to see more. Remember, Johnny Football wasn't just a disaster OFF the field. I know that's not a fair comparison, but that's the dude he reminds me of most. 

I'd say if we don't have Shurmur to pair with Keenum, sticking with Teddy AND Keenum would be more prudent...