Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eli getting benched for Geno ...
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"NodakViking" said:
Eli is a 'good' QB who has a shit coach, shit running game, and a decimated WR group.  On the Cardinals next year he'll be pushing for a SB again.
OH goody.  Eli and AD,  just start the media love fest right now.
Fitz makes it all ok.  Straight class.....

Quote: @"JimmyinSD said:
It's to bad the HOF doesn't equate greatness anymore than the probowl.  Eli has had some great years,  but that doesn't make him a great QB.
???
You concede he is a future Hall of Famer but dismiss that as insignificant. (By the way, that strikes me as pretty ironic considering your signature: "Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?") There probably are not many (any?) mediocre modern day QBs in the HOF.

But you also ignore the rest of it: 2-time SB Champ and 2-time SB MVP and beating NE and Brady both times. Seems like the better argument would be that "he has lost a lot and is not close to the level he once was."  

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"dadevike" said:
Eli is not great. But I suspect with a good group around him he could still be very good.
This is such a loaded statement, isn't it? We're talking about a Super Bowl-winning QB. In fact, he's won TWO Super Bowls. Been to the Pro Bowl 4 times. It just reinforces what I've always believed about NFL QBs. There are a handful at the top whose play, to a certain degree, transcends supporting cast. There are a handful at the bottom who can't play in the NFL. And the vast majority in between rise and fall based on supporting cast, scheme and continuity. 

God, there are just so many examples in the past that support this. Jeff Garcia went to the Pro Bowl 4 times. Remember Marc Bulger? Took over for an ineffective Kurt Warner and raced to 6 straight wins. Broke all kinds of NFL records. Got a huge contract. Rams moved on from Warner and made Bulger the highest paid player in Rams history. Had a good couple of years, but when the talent left that team (Bruce, Holt, Pace) Bulger turned back into a pumpkin and would shortly be out of the NFL. How about Nick Foles? Took over for Mike Vick and threw 27 TDs and 2 INTs. Let that sink in for a while. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's ever been a higher TD/INT ratio than that. Had 7 TDs in one game. On his 4th team since then...Jake Delhomme...Jeff George...

Then when you look at the ups and downs of today's QBs. Alex Smith, Derek Carr, Dalton, Cousins, Kaepernick, Flacco, Bradford, etc, and you can see why I want to slowly raise the caution flag on Case Keenum. 
There are only 2 QBs in this league that rise above their supporting cast.  Brady and Rodgers.  I don’t believe that is news to anyone.  That doesnt mean the ones that can play within the system and be successful aren’t important or are easily replaced.  The odds of getting one of the elite QBs is very slim.

I think the general distain (this could be too strong of a word, but the only one I could think of) around Eli revolves around two things: the way he came into the league, basically forcing his way out of San Diego with a sense of entitlement and two, he's been our bitch...we've pretty much obliterated him every time we've faced him...
OTOH, he's one of a handful of QBs, per NFLN this morning, that have 300+ TD passes and 2 SB rings...that's the rarest of rare air...I don't think he's a first ballot HOFer, but he'll be in the hall...

Its a freaking joke they did this to him. Dumb is an understatement. A very bad look for the Giants organization.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
good Lord please no,  if anybody mentions him coming here I will likely lose it.

So far Jacksonville and Denver seem to be the top spots for an Eli's Coming sighting...

But, there is some merit to seeing him in Purple as I have previously outlined...ahhhh, I can almost taste Olivia's sweet potato pie...(Not a euphemism)

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
sign him now!!!
funny fucker arent you?  i hate eli and for the most part the entire manning family,  but mostly eli.  smug little over rated shit ball that he is.
I'm sorry, didn't Eli keep the Packers out of the Super Bowl at least one year? Yah, I thought so. That makes him my friend, my dear friend...
I am sure the Cowboys have as well...does that make you and Jerruh sweat hearts also?  Smile

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD said:
It's to bad the HOF doesn't equate greatness anymore than the probowl.  Eli has had some great years,  but that doesn't make him a great QB.
???
You concede he is a future Hall of Famer but dismiss that as insignificant. (By the way, that strikes me as pretty ironic considering your signature: "Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?") There probably are not many (any?) mediocre modern day QBs in the HOF.

But you also ignore the rest of it: 2-time SB Champ and 2-time SB MVP and beating NE and Brady both times. Seems like the better argument would be that "he has lost a lot and is not close to the level he once was."  
Chucks abilities rewrote how teams would use the RB position going forward.  The style of play he showed the game has lasted for decades with very little improvement.  He set a new benchmark for the position and that makes him HOF worthy.

Eli has done nothing worthy of the HOF,  lots of players have multiple rings,  that doesn't make them HOF worthy IMO.  He is an above average QB but rarely ever in the discussion as one of the greats of his time and if he is mentioned it usually some east coast homer.  His MVP awards were a joke,  they can't give them to entire units so they default to the media darlings of the team.

And yes Barr,  it the silver spoon in his ass way he entered the league that irritates me most about Eli and his family.

I got a new jingle for peyton.... (sung to nationwide tune)  Eli is about to cry...

Would any of you getting worked up be shedding a tear if it was Rodgers getting pushed aside like this?  I think not.

Personally, I hope Eli leaves that chicken-s*** organization and lands with another team willing to give him some playmakers.  For the face of the team to be treated like that for the likes of Geno Smith is pure bush.

And it's not like Eli was the perfect QB...he's always had the knack for throwing the pick at the worst time. But the team's struggles this season can't be put all on him.

This was a case of the owners needing a fall guy for dismissing Eli and Ben was it. They want one of the 3 QBs coming out. Now they have a better chance at staying in the top 3.
Josh Rosen will be the QB of this class IMO.