Zimmer announces Keenum to start Thursday in Detroit
Quote: @holmanjp said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@SFVikingFan said:
@PapaScott said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Tom Moore said:
Case has earned this right until he stumbles.  And, it would not be right if his leash is so short that he loses his position if he loses and throws 2 picks.  Teddy and Sam wouldn't have a leash that short, nor should Keenum
Well I totally disagree with that. Starters will always get longer leashes.

But I think we're missing the point in this announcement. The news isn't that Case will be starting. The news is the announcement itself. It's basically Zimmer reminding everyone that this is temporary. 
I thought of that as well, but then I wondered was it actually a real announcement stating Case was starting, or was it simply another instance of a dumb ass asking Zimmer who is your starting QB this week and simply answered "Case".   or is it simply the Vikings released their depth chart and it had Case as the starter?  I am not sure there is really anything to read into this,  but I still dont think that Case's style is Zimmers preferred approach and he will be on a shorter leash as a result of that.... regardless of testicle size.
the question was "Case is starting this week"? and Zimmer said "yeah"  and this was 2 mins into the presser.  and he looks mad that the question is even asked it's 10 secs later that the next question comes...

Well Zimmer can get as mad as he wants, but he's the one who could put an end to this debate and hasn't.
whats he supposed to say?   he has a plan and its currently Case,  that should be evident to even the most ardent Teddy supporter.  Case did nothing to change this current plan so why would it even be a question.   its constantly argued that as long as Case has been playing and playing well that he should be considered the starter... well why then would a coach have to say who his starter is each week when nothing in the status quo has changed... however why would he put his thoughts out to the public on the matter when they are likely very fluid.   like i've said for a few weeks,  its not likely set in stone what would have to happen for Case to lose the job.   I would imagine it will be what ever it is that makes Zim lose confidence in Cases ability to get the job done on Sunday.
He could end it by stating Case is the starter if healthy.
He would be stupid to say, until he has a bad game/quarter/half.

No matter how GREAT you think Ted is, he will have a bad game/quarter/half.
I can't imagine teams are waiting on pins and needles for Zim to announce the starter.
When he does declare Case. I don't think they stop sweating bullets, and thank their
lucky stars, because Ted is not playing against them.

He started the whole thing with the stupid comment about not knowing a couple weeks ago.
He is the one who needs to end it, if he doesn't want to be bothered with the same questions every week.

and why would he make that statement?   I think we all know he isnt 100% behind Case as his future starter so why box himself into that position?    Case is the starter until he does something to make Zim question him going forward.  As fans isnt that what we want at all positions?  People dont get handed their jobs,  they have to keep earning them week after week?  Some players will have longer leashes than others,  but I want the best group of people on the field every week. 

@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Tom Moore said:
Case has earned this right until he stumbles.  And, it would not be right if his leash is so short that he loses his position if he loses and throws 2 picks.  Teddy and Sam wouldn't have a leash that short, nor should Keenum
Well I totally disagree with that. Starters will always get longer leashes.

But I think we're missing the point in this announcement. The news isn't that Case will be starting. The news is the announcement itself. It's basically Zimmer reminding everyone that this is temporary. 
I thought of that as well, but then I wondered was it actually a real announcement stating Case was starting, or was it simply another instance of a dumb ass asking Zimmer who is your starting QB this week and simply answered "Case".   or is it simply the Vikings released their depth chart and it had Case as the starter?  I am not sure there is really anything to read into this,  but I still dont think that Case's style is Zimmers preferred approach and he will be on a shorter leash as a result of that.... regardless of testicle size.
Well that's a good point. I guess we don't really know if it was an announcement or not. Here's what my gut tells me. And my gut is almost never wrong. :-)

Zimmer is a lover. By that I mean he literally "loves" certain players (witness interview with Deion Sanders : I love you, coach. I love you too, Prime. Jesus, you two get a room). And Zimmer "loves" Teddy Bridgewater. He loves his commitment, his leadership, and the kind human being he is. But he also loves the way he plays QB. He loves how smart he is, and he loves how he fits into a Shurmur offense.

Late in Teddy's 2nd season, Zimmer, as many of us did, saw Teddy turn a corner and develop into the kind of QB who could run the kind of passing offense he intended to transition to. Teddy's 3rd season, 2016, would be that year. Everyone adjusted, even Peterson mentioned that he needed to adjust to Teddy's style, improve out of the shotgun and become a better pass catcher. The reviews from Mankato were raves. And when Teddy got a chance to play a full half in the 3rd preseason game and show everyone just how much he had progressed, he lit it up. Zimmer beamed. Roster is stacked and his franchise QB is entering his key 3rd season. This could be the year...(Personally, I don't remember too many years when I was more excited about the season).

Cut to ambulance...and cue the mournful music. No need to relive this, except to say that instead of Teddy disappearing to Florida to rehab on the beach, he stayed in Minnesota. Went to all the meetings. Ran each play in his head. Fast forward 15 months and Teddy's ready. He not only appears healthy, his arm is better, he's stronger, and he knows the offense better than anyone.

Visions of Lombardies dance in Zim's head. 

Zimmer is relieved and I'd say even a little bit amused (see horseshoe and balls comments) that Case Keenum has been able to keep this team going. But game film and sharing reps in practice with Teddy reveals very clearly why he was an undrafted QB on his 5th team and Teddy is the franchise. He'll continue to start Case as long as he keeps the horseshoe, because (insert favorite cliche about what to ride and what not to fix). But, truth be told, it will not take "a bad game or two" to replace Keenum as some are suggesting, or even hoping (!?). It won't take much at all (see Teddy throwing in Washington). Truth is, Zim CAN'T WAIT to get the QB that he loves back in the game. 

Course, I could be wrong about all of this. :-)
Where does this 5 teams thing come from? Sharper?
I could understand 4, but are  STL and LAR not the same team? May be I'm losing it. I thought it was the STL Rams and now the LA Rams.
Or does 5 make him sound more unwanted than, this is his 3rd team.
i think he mis spoke,  5 years not 5 teams.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
No, it's 5 teams. Houston, Rams, Houston, Rams, Vikings. That two of those teams are the same is irrelevant to the point. The point is that this is his 5th try, and that 4 teams have moved on from him. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
No, it's 5 teams. Houston, Rams, Houston, Rams, Vikings. That two of those teams are the same is irrelevant to the point. The point is that this is his 5th try, and that 4 teams have moved on from him. 
he was with Houston for 2 years then the rams for 2 years and now the Vikes?  where are you getting 5 teams?

Be honest, if Ted was the starter this season and the team was 8-2 how exited would you be.
Would you feel warm and fussy that Ted turned the corner?
Or would you be disappointed?
I'd be DAMNED excited. Giddy. We all would be. Because we'd feel much better about the team going into the playoffs and beyond. We'd feel better about the future, about next season, and the season after, knowing that we have a franchise QB for maybe the next 10 years. All would be right with the world. Right now, I love that we're 8 and 2, but it sort of feels like a sister kisser having done it with a rental, a QB who likely won't even be on the team next year. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:

he was with Houston for 2 years then the rams for 2 years and now the Vikes?  where are you getting 5 teams?
He went to Houston for the 2013 season as an UDFA.  Then he was cut by Houston prior to the 2014 season. The Rams added him that season and later cut him.  Then Houston signed him back towards the end of the 2014 season.  He was then traded from Houston to the Rams in 2015 and played there for two years.  Then in 2017, he signed with the Vikings.
I guess it might be easier to say he changed teams 5 times in his career...

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:

He went to Houston for the 2013 season as an UDFA.  Then he was cut by Houston prior to the 2014 season. The Rams added him that season and later cut him.  Then Houston signed him back towards the end of the 2014 season.  He was then traded from Houston to the Rams in 2015 and played there for two years.  Then in 2017, he signed with the Vikings.

So more like, 2 teams could not make up their mind about him, and Rick made a great decision.

See how that sounds better, than shitting on the starting QB for your favorite team.

@Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:

So more like, 2 teams could not make up their mind about him, and Rick made a great decision.

See how that sounds better, than shitting on the starting QB for your favorite team.
shitting on... thats taking it a bit far isnt it?  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Or you could look at it as both the Texans and Rams liked him enough to bring him back.  I would say using his draft position or the number of teams he has played on to be equally irrelevant to this discussion this year.

After signing as an UDFA with the Texans and spending a year on their practice squad, he was named the starter in week 7 of 2013 and had three great games off the bat.  He then came back to earth a little and struggled as he was on a pretty terrible 2-14 team, but still finished with more TDs than INTs (9 to 6).

The following offseason he was cut to make room for Ryan Mallet (WTF?) and was picked up the next day by the Rams and placed on their practice squad.  In December of that year, the Texans signed him off the Rams practice squad and he won the last two games of the year for them.

In March of the following year, 2015, the Rams traded the Texans a 7th round pick for Keenum to backup Nick Foles.  On November 16, the Rams named Keenum the starting quarterback after announcing they had benched Foles.  He then led the Rams to consecutive victories against the Detroit LionsTampa Bay Buccaneers, and Seattle Seahawks. He recorded a Rams record near-"perfect game" against the Buccaneers, achieving a 158.0 passer rating by going 14 for 17 for 234 yards and two touchdowns in the last home game in the history of the St. Louis Rams. Keenum finished the 2015 season (six games played, five as the starter) with 828 yards, four touchdowns, and one interception, with a 60.8% completion percentage.

He didn't play great last year as the Rams starter, but he did lead them to a 4-5 record, which is about the norm under a Jeff Fisher team. And I've think we've all seen how poorly the Rams developed their QBs under Jeff Fisher.  Jared Goff started the last 7 games and the Rams went 0-7.

Case hasn't had the easiest of routes since entering the NFL or played on very good teams, but I think it's very possible that he has finally landed in a situation and has the necessary NFL experience at this point to succeed moving forward.  I would give his chances of succeeding at least as good or better than Teddy's, especially considering Teddy's catastrophic injury.

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Or you could look at it as both the Texans and Rams liked him enough to bring him back.  

Yes, you could. You could also look at it as both the Texans and the Rams had TWO looks at him each and passed both times.