Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danielle Hunter: The New Face of the Franchise
Quote: @greediron said:
@medaille said:
Our defense is designed to be a team defense, not one that funnels the glory stats to one player.  I think he'll have an uphill battle standing out against his peers in our system.

Count me in the group that thinks we don't need a guy to place all our hopes and dreams into.  I just want a team that is full of above average guys that is relentless and resiliant.  I think Cook is the most likely guy to draw attention to himself.  Bradford could have a great season, but he's a blend into the background kind of guy.
Agreed.  The D isn't going to have a stat guy.  Everyone needs to do their job and that means no glory hounds.

And I agree that Bradford could be, but doesn't seem that comfortable around the camera. 
Definitely agree that it's a team concept D...but we did have a stat guy in Hunter last year playing part time...tied for third in sacks...full time snaps puts him at 18.5 sacks based on his per snap production...which would have bested Beasley by three for the league lead...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@greediron said:
@medaille said:
Our defense is designed to be a team defense, not one that funnels the glory stats to one player.  I think he'll have an uphill battle standing out against his peers in our system.

Count me in the group that thinks we don't need a guy to place all our hopes and dreams into.  I just want a team that is full of above average guys that is relentless and resiliant.  I think Cook is the most likely guy to draw attention to himself.  Bradford could have a great season, but he's a blend into the background kind of guy.
Agreed.  The D isn't going to have a stat guy.  Everyone needs to do their job and that means no glory hounds.

And I agree that Bradford could be, but doesn't seem that comfortable around the camera. 
Definitely agree that it's a team concept D...but we did have a stat guy in Hunter last year playing part time...tied for third in sacks...full time snaps puts him at 18.5 sacks based on his per snap production...which would have bested Beasley by three for the league lead...
Oh, he certainly has the talent for it.  But will likely get a bit more attention this year.  Hard to project part time stats to starter time.

@"BarrNone55" said:
@greediron said:
@medaille said:

Oh, he certainly has the talent for it.  But will likely get a bit more attention this year.  Hard to project part time stats to starter time.
No it's not, I just did it...

Wink

I like to think he'll wear down opposing OTs with more snaps...He's going to be faster and quicker than any RT he lines up against, and probably stronger too... 

@"BarrNone55" said:

I think it’s a whole different game when you get
dramatically more snaps.  Your legs are
more tired with a little less burst.  The
OLine has been beating up on you more in the run game.  You have to pay attention to the run
more.  The other team is watching more
film on you because you’re the primary guy. 
I think it’s probably inevitable that his per snap production is going
to go down.  It’s one of the reasons I
really like the approach of rotating the DLine guys heavily.  Just keep their legs fresh, so they can
always be attacking.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@greediron said:
No it's not, I just did it...

Wink

I like to think he'll wear down opposing OTs with more snaps...He's going to be faster and quicker than any RT he lines up against, and probably stronger too... 
Hard to "accurately" project...  Projections are easy.

Playing a complete game plan, not just the pass, may affect his game.  Getting blocked in the run game may wear him down as well.  He won't have the advantage of being much fresher than the OT opposing him like he was last year.  More responsibilities will be a mental grind.

Not saying it will outweigh the positives, just saying it could have an effect. 

Definitely could have an effect...from the sounds of it both Weatherly and Jones will see reps at DE too...I think we see 7-8 man rotation and the snap counts across the board being distributed a bit more...

Brob was a monster when he was coming off the bench early on in his career IIRC also,  but his production didnt really increase exponentially with his snaps.  He was still better than ol ray ray the boxer, but his per snap production did drop I think.

Every defense is a 'team concept' defense, it wouldn't be successful any other way. Elite players get their stats regardless, so to say that the Viking defense isn't set up for defensive stats for guys, that's silly IMO. Danielle Hunter has more sacks than any player in NFL history at 22 years old other than one person: Jason Pierre-Paul. And he got his 12.5 this year in 495 snaps. Von Miller got 13.5 sacks on 750 snaps. He's legitimately special. 

The guy who just doesn't get enough credit is Everson Griffen. He's my favorite on the D behind Joseph. He's a top 3 athlete at the DE spot. Bull strong and violent. He's a damn nightmare combination. I love his determination. When he tracked down Russell Wilson in the playoffs against Seattle and brought him down with it being sheer determination from Wilson to get it off as he was going down for no sack. But watch that play. Wilson is super elusive and Griffen stuck with him and tracked him down like a damn cheetah on a gazelle. I can honestly question if another DE in the NFL could have done that. It blew my mind, somebody has to find it and post that video here.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Every defense is a 'team concept' defense, it wouldn't be successful any other way. Elite players get their stats regardless, so to say that the Viking defense isn't set up for defensive stats for guys, that's silly IMO. Danielle Hunter has more sacks than any player in NFL history at 22 years old other than one person: Jason Pierre-Paul. And he got his 12.5 this year in 495 snaps. Von Miller got 13.5 sacks on 750 snaps. He's legitimately special. 

The guy who just doesn't get enough credit is Everson Griffen. He's my favorite on the D behind Joseph. He's a top 3 athlete at the DE spot. Bull strong and violent. He's a damn nightmare combination. I love his determination. When he tracked down Russell Wilson in the playoffs against Seattle and brought him down with it being sheer determination from Wilson to get it off as he was going down for no sack. But watch that play. Wilson is super elusive and Griffen stuck with him and tracked him down like a damn cheetah on a gazelle. I can honestly question if another DE in the NFL could have done that. It blew my mind, somebody has to find it and post that video here.
Zimmers defenses have a history of having very good results without any 1 player having great individual stats because he emphasizes that each player does their job.   Some teams will take their studs and try to put them in situations that are beneficial to them, or will allow them to freelance,  Zim trys to make every one of his player the stud with zero tolerance for free lancing.  Danielle Hunter will have good numbers, maybe even great,  but he will also do his job completely or he wont be on the field much.

Dianna Russini, anyone watching NFL Live lately, hubba hubba!  B)